Hacking How many blocks do homebrew apps take up ?

AdamBrunt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

I have a 4.0E Wii which is primarily used with USB Loader GX.

The system menu contains all the default channels plus the wii fit, mario kart geekbox loader, Loader GX loader, GeckoOS loader an Homebrew channels (so just over 1 screen's worth).

However I tried to install a Wiiware game last night (Swords & Soldiers) and got the "not enough memory to run" error.

On average, how many Wiiware titles should you be able to fit on the Wii system memory ?

Though as I type this I find myself thinking that 4.0 can play Wiiware off the SD card .... is that right, or does it just copy the wad off the SD card and into system memory and then run it ?

TIA for any help.

Regards,

Adam Brunt

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You install the channel to your Wii using Wad Manager, and then you can copy it to the SD to in the Wii menu to free up internal memory (blocks). Perhaps you have a lot of VC games installed, or maybe a ton of game saves that are using up all your space. I noticed most game saves are small, but a few games use quite a bit, so maybe you can delete some you don't need.

You could also put all your homebrew apps on the sd card, and use a forwarder instead of a full channel, since they're smaller in size. Or you could just use Homebrew Channel to load hombrew off the sd.

There's no exact answer to your question of "how many Wiiware titles can you fit?" because not every title/app is the same size. Just use a SD card and manage your memory
wink2.gif

I almost forgot, when Waninkoko releases his nand emulator, you could essentially increase the Wii's internal storage to whatever size SD card you use. Plus it's supposed to run VC games directly, so this might be your solution in the near future.

AdamBrunt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
But does 4.0 run the Wiiware off the SD card or just copy it back and then run it ? If it's the later, then since Swords & Soldiers wouldn't 'fit' I don't see how copying it to the SD card will help.

All my 'homebrew' channels are loader channels (with the possible exception of HBC) which run the app off the SD card so those channels should be small in size. I don't have any VC channels at all either.

You could have a point re the saved game data though - typically very small but if you have a lot of them ....

I hadn't been fully reading what the NAND emulation (in rev14 ?) did - but it sounds like a very good idea (esp if you can run VC / Wiiware off it directly). But then why stop at an SD card why not copy use an HDD ?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The point of the SD card menu isn't to copy one thing over it, it's to store the majority of your VC games on it. When you do actually play it off the sd card menu it DOES copy it back to the Wii to actually play it, but then deletes it afterwards. So only one game at a time is ever copied to your system and it only needs enough space on the system for that one game and not everything on the card.

If you don't have any other vc games then it's most likely game saves that are taking up a lot of space. Also you might want to see if you have any of those other official extra Nintendo channels as those can take up a good amount of space as well.

Rev14 is out and does ALLOW NAND emulation, but until Waninkoko's app to actually emulate NAND backups is released we can't utilize it yet. Also I'm pretty sure it does have hard drive support too.

AdamBrunt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I realise that but you do begin to wonder why a 200-300 block Wiiware WAD won't fit on a Wii with perceivably minimal data on it.

And yes I knew the Wii was not known for a large amount of system memory - but .....

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you don't have the my nintendo channel or the internet channel. those two are NAND whores. i don't know about wiifit channel or mario kart channel since I removed them forever ago but they could also be space culprits.

Also - you should be able to run it from SD card, install it to that. Whne the 4.0 update occurs, the system menu "steals" 300 blocks or so, so you will be ALWAYS able to run a vc or wiiware from SD. disadvantage? you can't have it back as actual permenant storage.

What a shoddy fucking patch nintendo, I'm seriously ashamed. The worst part was marcan saw it coming like 3 months beforehand.

AdamBrunt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mark McDonut said:
Make sure you don't have the my nintendo channel or the internet channel. those two are NAND whores. i don't know about wiifit channel or mario kart channel since I removed them forever ago but they could also be space culprits.

Aha, I do have the Internet channel ... even though I hardly use it - that'll be gone this evening. I also, now I come to think of it, barely use the Mario Kart Channel [ does it even work if I play Mario Kart via USB Loader ?? ]

Mark McDonut said:
Also - you should be able to run it from SD card, install it to that. Whne the 4.0 update occurs, the system menu "steals" 300 blocks or so, so you will be ALWAYS able to run a vc or wiiware from SD. disadvantage? you can't have it back as actual permenant storage.

I am running 4.0E so presumably that means there are 300 blocks hidden away which would also explain the lack of space.

QUOTE(Mark McDonut @ Jul 28 2009, 02:20 PM)
What a shoddy fucking patch nintendo, I'm seriously ashamed. The worst part was marcan saw it coming like 3 months beforehand.

Yes it is shoddy IF you never want to play games off the SD card but if you do, how else is the Wii going to make sure you've got enough room to move it into locally ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1