Hacking How long does everyone think until an emulator?

aspico

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Eritrea
All modern consoles work like that... The problem is, that reverse engineering these libraries and creating their equivalent on another architecture from scratch, is a huge task. Try asking WINE developers how easy it is...

How would one start doing that anyways? Is there a list of API functions to be implemented?

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii u emulators and xb360 and ps3 aren't done because to run you would need a very heavy duty pc.
I mean lets just break the wii u down. You would need whatever specs to run your pc plus 2gb extra ram to run wiiu emul. You would need greater than tri core processor for wii u emul. You would need to be able to emulate a ppc tri core processor and an ARM x64 processor at the same time. Let's not forget that the standard laptop may very well have the equal gfx card so emulating it in a program or vm you would probably overheat it. I mean seriously most of the current games for wii u would be like running 2 extra operating systems on top of the one you are running originally. And that's not even figuring in the OS needed to run the game and the menu.
How do you prevent people from building your console as a vm? You build it to operate on current hardware then run it at the max.
In 20 years when the wii u is dated and computers run programs larger than the wii u then it will be possible.
I'll put it this way the wii u runs a program, lets say a game. The wii u pretty much shuts everything else down (apparently not the browser...lol) and makes full use of both processors the gfx card and one gb of ram. The specs on a pc that would take to emulate it would be a pretty tall order to fill. And lets not forget about attempting to link it all with different parts and the countless hours it would take to program it all.
I just don't see anyone or any team/teams willing to spend that much time getting it to work only to find out it will suffer from buffer issues, pc overheats, and just sheer poor performance. Honestly, when these guys release the exploits I think people's time would be better spent on assisting with furthering homebrew development and other parts of wii u hacking.

Reactions: PhyChris

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the hardware similarity between the Gamecube and wii allowed the wii to be emulated relatively easy. the wii u on the other hand is more complicated then the xbox360 so when you see an xbox360 emulator come out add another 5 years on that and you might see a POC emulator.

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
When there will be people doing it.
afaik Dolphin devs got info about Wii U kernel and everything from f0f. Maybe they'll try to do it when Nintendo launch next console.

Reactions: Margen67

razielleonhart

RazzyDee
Trophies
XP
Country
Spaceballs_2_023.png

uberandrew

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be soon or it could be a few years, but even if someone does start developing one don't expect anything good for quite some time.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A stable Wii U emulator will come out long before a 360 or a PS3 emulator - there's no secrets to uncover, the CPU and the GPU are derrivative of the Wii's and the Gamecube's. The only boundry I see is horsepower of contemporary PC's and that increases all the time. We'll see a PoC modified Dolphin soon after someone gets kernel access on the Wii U itself - someone has to do the heavy lifting and map everything relevant before any serious work can be done.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all