How I got LEGO Island to work on my Windows 10 WITHOUT BUYING THE DISK.

CupheadtheCritic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
In June, I started to pick up interest in the 1996 PC game LEGO Island after reviewing it's shitty PS1 sequel, so I got the ISO from My Abandonware. There was just one problem, though. I didn't have the disk and my Laptop doesn't have a disk drive when EVERY PC SHOULD HAVE A FUCKING DISK DRIVE. Months of thinking and scouring later, I was starting to get pretty goddamn desperate. So I did some research on how to run LEGO Island without the disk. Heavy amounts of research later (and a feeling of giving up later) I stumble across a Rock Raiders United post discussing how to do it step by step.
So I get the ISO from My Abandonware (I deleted it after hitting an error about needing a disk to install the game.) So after I used the Alternative Installer by a user who went by le717, I finally got to play LEGO Island. But there was ONE LAST FUCKING THING I NEEDED TO DO TO GET THAT SHIT WORKING PROPERLY BECAUSE NINETIES PC GAMES ARE SHIT AT WORKING ON WINDOWS 10. I had to configure the game to make it work properly, meaning I suffered almost the ENTIRE FUCKING YEAR trying to play a game that LEGO ditched like an orphaned child for almost 30 years just to play this:
Pepper Roni | Pooh's Adventures Wiki | Fandom

Post automatically merged:

You can be a butthole
Drive a big-ass truck
You can make pee-pee
Yellow like a duck
Masturbate on Chaturbate
There ain't no trick
You just gotta do it brick by brick

Brick by brick
Suck my dick
No matter how thin
No matter how thicc
Papa fucked mama
And Laura fucked Nick
You can jizz a fountain
If you do it brick by brick

Faster than a motherboard
Bigger than a billboard
Louder than a D.J.
Fartin' all night
Pedal to the METAL!
Eat banana peel
You're in the driver's seat
And you're behind the seat

Brick by brick
Suck my dick (Suck my dick!)
No matter how thin (Or cock!)
No matter how thicc
Papa fucked mama
And Laura gave a B.J.
You can shit a mountain

"The ambulance was stolen and we think the Brickster's plan is to fuck up the town!"
"Hahahahahahaha!"

Are ya gay boi
It's a riot dood
Click on this ad
Let's go for a whirl
We're gonna cruise the island
There's something you should know
There ain't no island
You're gonna get trolled

Brick by brick
Suck my dick
No matter how thin
No matter how thicc
Papa fucked mama
And Laura sucks dick
You can make some babies
If ya do it in the road

I built a sex machine
Red yellow and black (And even black)
There ain't no anal
All around the island
We're goin' 'round the island
We're goi-
Let's fuck it up again

Brick by brick
Suck my dick
No matter how thin
No matter how thicc
Papa fucked mama
And mama had a baby
You can shit a mountain
You can jizz a fountain
You can shit a mountain

Nick blew a big load in Laura's mouth

"Oohoohoo, well that WAS interesting!"

Somehow my reply (which was lyrics of cs188's cover of Brick by Brick) was merged with the article.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
EVERY PC SHOULD HAVE A FUCKING DISK DRIVE.
Disk or disc?
One disc drive is usually not enough for me. Need at least like three or four different ones.
====

Cannot interpret if your post is 100% nonsense or if you actually encountered a problem with an old game on newer computers. For the case this is about an actual problem:
  • Installers were often 16-bit applications which are unsupported on 64-bit Windows.
  • Problems with missing disc drives can usually be solved with the help of optical drive emulation software. Dumping protected CDs/DVDs correctly isn't always trivial, requires specialized software and file formats - not iso - and can be a headache depending on how aggressive the protection is (though cracks exists for major titles).

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: SylverReZ

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look for crack files on the internet as mentioned above. That game is a bit old so not sure if cracks were a thing back then or not, but it's worth a try. Also the compatibility is also a concern, so you need to figure out what Windows version it expects to run and force it to, otherwise it won't..

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Who had thought that my research on these topics would come in handy? I might be wasting my time by typing that all out in an EOF thread... but why not? Doesn't do any harm and nobody is forced to read it.
Look for crack files on the internet as mentioned above. That game is a bit old so not sure if cracks were a thing back then or not, but it's worth a try. Also the compatibility is also a concern, so you need to figure out what Windows version it expects to run and force it to, otherwise it won't..
No idea if this can be called crack.
Early CD based games sometimes didn't even have a CD check at all, but didn't fully install (common HDDs had lower memory capacity than a full CD). I "cracked" some games by copying the content to HDD and changing the path for the CD the installer hardwired in the registry to C:\Program Files\GameName\DataFolderName

Then there were simple CD checks, making sure a drive with the label <GameName> existed and that this was an optical drive (some common Win API commands). Something that any beginner reverse engineer could find and solve in literally two minutes (I can't). It is probably more or less replacing the check and conditioned jump with some NOP commands in a disassembler. Without a crack: Any CD emulator (WinCDEmu: fast, small, open source, works on old and new Windows) and an ISO image are enough.

First commercially widespread protections would probably be SecuROM (old, versions 1 to 3) and SafeDisc 1, featuring encryption, anti-debug, anti-crack. Probably around 1997. Generic decryptors/unpackers exist for SecuROM "old", SafeDisc up to v2.4 or v2.51 or similar, LaserLock.
Playing without a crack requires:
  • Image in RAW compatible format (with subchannel for SecuROM) like CloneCD (.ccd .sub .img)
  • Specialized software capable of emulating protected CDs (Alcohol 120%, Daemon Tools, VirtualCD)
  • -- or for real CDs: A burner with RAW-DAO+SUB96 mode (any nowadays) and appropriate writing software
    • Sometimes an ATIP hiding function might be needed
That should cover pretty much all games up to year 2000 or 2001 (they really upped their cat+mouse game at that point).

CupheadtheCritic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
Disk or disc?
One disc drive is usually not enough for me. Need at least like three or four different ones.
====

Cannot interpret if your post is 100% nonsense or if you actually encountered a problem with an old game on newer computers. For the case this is about an actual problem:
  • Installers were often 16-bit applications which are unsupported on 64-bit Windows.
  • Problems with missing disc drives can usually be solved with the help of optical drive emulation software. Dumping protected CDs/DVDs correctly isn't always trivial, requires specialized software and file formats - not iso - and can be a headache depending on how aggressive the protection is (though cracks exists for major titles).
Disk is the same as Disc. Diskette is a floppy disk, Learn pc terms.

• Sad

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

Most of what you need to remember about disk and disc is the following: disk is the preferred spelling in American English, and it’s also the spelling used for computer-related objects, such as a hard disk. Disc is the preferred spelling in British English, and it’s also the spelling used for devices carrying sound.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/disc-disk/

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, sure, will do. Sorry for replying to your thread when having absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

The correct spelling for an optical disc is "disc", where as floppy disks would be "disk" or "diskette".
That is how I remember it. That is why I asked in the first place: The first post in this thread got me confused… when it seems like a CD – optical disc– is missing, and the spelling is always with "k" at the end.

Good thing that I have a box of them also. Who knows what situation these might come in handy.
Come in handy? When trying to install Windows XP to a computer with SATA HDD¹. You either have to manually include the driver into a custom installation disc (CD), or provide a floppy disk with it. That blows my mind: When floppy drives disappeared from new computers, that was the time when the transition to SATA took place. And you needed the stupid floppy drive for installing XP. 🤦‍♀️
The installer does not accept any other medium for HDD controller drivers. CD/DVD → No. USB HDD→ No. Flash Memory → No. And that despite having already loaded the drivers for USB mass storage (and USB floppy drives, that one works).
Mad idea:
smilie_denk_45.gif

Trying to install XP on a SATA HDD with 5¼" floppy disk for the driver. Never did that.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Come in handy? When trying to install Windows XP to a computer with SATA HDD¹. You either have to manually include the driver into a custom installation disc (CD), or provide a floppy disk with it. That blows my mind: When floppy drives disappeared from new computers, that was the time when the transition to SATA took place. And you needed the stupid floppy drive for installing XP. 🤦‍♀️
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop from the 00's running Windows 98 SE. It cannot support the up-to-date USB specifications, seeing as it uses either USB 1.0 or USB 1.1. I've installed a third-party driver to try and resolve this issue, but yet again I'm still having problems with some USB flash drives, it's okay with some SanDisk drives but works better with the shitty Chinese ones. So that's why I use floppy disks combined with my Greaseweazle V4 to transfer over files.
Mad idea:View attachment 341511
Trying to install XP on a SATA HDD with 5¼" floppy disk.
Now that's something what Michael MJD would do.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

CupheadtheCritic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
Good thing that I have a box of them also. Who knows what situation these might come in handy.

View attachment 341510
Nice fucking joke.

I don't like crack...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up