Gaming How I fixed my Left Right Shoulder buttons for good!

MST3KPIMP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVtXT5WxTQo[/youtube]

I bought a used DSI on ebay and discovered it had bad left/right shoulder buttons. I tried the blowing technique but that only worked for short spurts. Wanting to investigate I took it apart using the dissasembly guides on youtube. When I got inside to the actual buttons I discovered they were quite small and percision wired to ribbon cable making replacment almost impossible. I had read about soaking the buttons with rubbing alcohol and figured I'd give it a go. With the buttons hanging off the cables I carefully dipped them into a cap of 91% rubbing alcohol. I would let the alcohol work into the button and sit for like 7 minutes before clicking and blowing it out. I repeated this a couple times before reassembling. The first time I did this I tested the buttons like mad in DSI sound by making the cat/dog sounds and found it restored function about 90%. A vast improvement but I would still get random moments of no response. The next day I decided to takes it apart again and repeat the acohol treatment and after I found I had 100% function restoration and it's stayed that way for over a month now. So it was'nt that hard but of course you could break your DSI if your not careful. But I can confirm that this totally restored my shoulder buttons. I made a video for the DSI but I guess the ds lite, xl and 3ds use the same buttons so you should be able to perform the same procedure.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's nice to see a work-around to the LR button problem.

But... Witness Protection? You shouldn't be online making videos... right?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I suppose that's one way to do it. But the best way to do it is with contact cleaner.

Contact-Cleaner3-01.jpg

Doesn't have to be any special brand. Just go to Radio Shack and ask for contact cleaner, and if they've got two different types (regular and lubricating) buy the regular. The lubricating kind has a light oil mixed in which is not necessary for this application.

Contact cleaner eats off dirt, corrosion, tarnish, etc from electrical contacts. It is the right tool for the job. Plus it just pinpoint sprays where you need it, so no need to pull the switches out and dip 'em like you had to do with the alcohol.

MST3KPIMP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually if you use the contact spray you better diassemble cuz I've read about people blasting there DS with it near the screen and then they find theres some funky things on the screen after that don't go away. Plus once the case is opened you may as well do it right.

Wombo Combo

That Ain't Falco
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FBI witness protection my ass, if you were you would have never said anything about it. It would be common sense to not post that you were in the witness protection because now what ever you were being protected from has a better chance of finding your location and lot more knowing you got that off of ebay. Maybe your just hate your real voice but I am calling shenanigans. Plus you have other videos Im guessing that's your real voice in them.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MST3KPIMP said:
actually if you use the contact spray you better diassemble cuz I've read about people blasting there DS with it near the screen and then they find theres some funky things on the screen after that don't go away. Plus once the case is opened you may as well do it right.

they're doing it wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 229 steam games more than I thought