Anikemi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hey guys.

I just softmod my WiiU with Tiramisu. I have an EUR console on 5.5.2. And I have two questions

How I can do a NAND backup? How much its is size? (For know what SD card I should use)

And the second question

If my console updates to 5.5.5 I will lost my Tiramisu mod? Or all the things stay as they actually are?

Thank you!

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you skip the back up during Tiramisu installation? Anyway, you can use nanddumper to do it.
For the sd card size, if the console is 8gb then you'll need 16gb, 32gb you'll need 64gb.

For the update, you'll need to disable the autoboot and do the update, then re-enable the autoboot. I don't remember the details, you'll have to do the search for the guided.

Anikemi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I follow a youtube tutorial video. But I doesn't downloaded any pack, just the files from github repos.

Can you provide the link of the nanddumper and the guide?

And about updates, I was asking about what happens if the console updates automatically, without my supervision, not asking how to update it when it's already modded. Maybe I doesn't explained well. But whatever, thank you for the explanation about how to update, I truly appreciate it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I follow a youtube tutorial video. But I doesn't downloaded any pack, just the files from github repos.

Can you provide the link of the nanddumper and the guide?

And about updates, I was asking about what happens if the console updates automatically, without my supervision, not asking how to update it when it's already modded. Maybe I doesn't explained well. But whatever, thank you for the explanation about how to update, I truly appreciate it.
The WIi U will not automatically update, it will always prompt you about new updates.
You can use a DNS to block updates if you are worried about accepting the prompt accidentally or somebody else using your Wii U and accepting the prompt, Tiramisu/Aroma might also have update blocking built in (not sure)

Anikemi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
No, DNS blocking is no longer available. And since 5.0.0 system version the WiiU can update without permission and in standby mode.

Pls someone can help me with the nand backup pls?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hold B during boot, if you have it cold boot installed or else hold B after starting the H&S App, if you launch it that way.

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're worried about Wii U updates, you can use UFDiine to delete the update folder. This blocks updates from happening.

https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/UFDiine/releases/tag/v1.1

You can also turn standby mode off in the settings. But I'm pretty sure Wii U still does not automatically update in standby mode -- it will check for updates, even download the updates, but I don't think it will install the downloaded updates on its own. I could be wrong though.

But in answer to your question about losing your current custom firmware, no, updating to the most current Wii U firmware won't affect anything you've done so far. It's safe to update. You'll need to not be in Tiramisu and the update folder will need to exist, otherwise the update will fail.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you can use UFDiine to delete the update folder.
^- That's state of the art. Use Tiramisu and Aroma to block updates in normal mode and delete the update folder (to be fair it would be even better to replace it with a dummy file. No idea why UFDiine didn't update to that method) to block updates in standby mode. Really no more need to use the unsafest of all methods, aka DNS block, anymore.

don't think it will install the downloaded updates on its own. I could be wrong though.
Pretty sure you're wrong as standby-updates where a way to unbrick from some CafeOS corruptions in the past (which didn't allow the Wii U to boot into normal mode but standy mode still worked).
updating to the most current Wii U firmware won't affect anything you've done so far
That's not true: The 5.5.6 update is known to install a new version of the Wii U menu which in return overwrites the coldboot entry. That's just a minor issue through: To fix it just do the coldboot setup again ( https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/tiramisu/autobooting?id=instructions ).

Pls someone can help me with the nand backup pls?
Hold B during boot, if you have it cold boot installed or else hold B after starting the H&S App
I know I'm just repeating but oh well, that way we have it at the last post in case another user searches for the same.

Last edited by V10lator,
Reactions: leejaclane

Anikemi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hold B during boot, if you have it cold boot installed or else hold B after starting the H&S App, if you launch it that way.
I do that, I select nanddumper and then I press A. Then, I select the things I wanna dump (slc, etc, these 5 things). And when I press A to start dumping the TV screen goes black and the gamepad screen goes white. And stay in that way. I tried selecting and no selecting the optional-marked thing in the guide (sorry for no saying the exact name, but rn Im writing from my phone and dont have the guide, but you know about what Im talking) And I dont think is a SD card problem, bc Tiramisu boots well.

Sorry if i have grammar errors lol, not my native language

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure you're wrong as standby-updates where a way to unbrick from some CafeOS corruptions in the past (which didn't allow the Wii U to boot into normal mode but standy mode still worked).
Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for correcting me.
The 5.5.6 update is known to install a new version of the Wii U menu which in return overwrites the coldboot entry. That's just a minor issue through: To fix it just do the coldboot setup again ( https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/tiramisu/autobooting?id=instructions ).
Hm. I was under the impression it wasn't possible to do updates with coldboot enabled, even when entering the stock firmware instead of cfw, so I guess I never would have noticed that since I already had to set up coldboot again. Good to know.

Well, thank you for correcting my mistakes, I appreciate it (and I'm sure others do too).

I do that, I select nanddumper and then I press A. Then, I select the things I wanna dump (slc, etc, these 5 things). And when I press A to start dumping the TV screen goes black and the gamepad screen goes white. And stay in that way. I tried selecting and no selecting the optional-marked thing in the guide (sorry for no saying the exact name, but rn Im writing from my phone and dont have the guide, but you know about what Im talking) And I dont think is a SD card problem, bc Tiramisu boots well.

Sorry if i have grammar errors lol, not my native language
Hm. I haven't done a nand dump in a while -- probably be a good idea if I did one again now since there was that Wii U update -- but I can't recall what it's supposed to look like when doing one.

Have you made sure your SD card is big enough, and that the write-protection lock is unlocked so that it can be written to? That's all I can think of at the moment.

I should also ask, when you've had the screens do that, I assume you forced a shutdown on the console with the power button. After that though, did you eject the SD card and insert it into a computer to check its contents? It could help diagnosing the issue to know if it was successfully dumping anything to the SD card or not.

Although, I will say, an SD card can seem fine and still be damaged imperceptibly -- I had one that worked flawlessly with everything except one single game backup that would crash a loader consistently. The file wasn't corrupted, and the card was fine according to my Linux PC, and the game ran correctly when I copied it to a USB thumb stick (which was just to test it quickly, don't use USB flash drives for any long-term storage solutions on your Wii U or Wii or vWii). Only when I put the SD card in a Windows laptop did it detect it was damaged, and after it repaired it the game ran perfectly in the loader.

So, I wouldn't necessarily rule out an issue with the SD card.

Another thing you could try is redownloading the nanddumper, if it's the nanddumper causing the issue.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe the dumper doesn't work with such an old firmware or there is another problem with your console.

What you could try is disabling the cold boot h&s then getting the latest nandumper-payload and put it on the as as /wiiu/payload.elf and launch the browser exploit again

Anikemi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for correcting me.

Hm. I was under the impression it wasn't possible to do updates with coldboot enabled, even when entering the stock firmware instead of cfw, so I guess I never would have noticed that since I already had to set up coldboot again. Good to know.

Well, thank you for correcting my mistakes, I appreciate it (and I'm sure others do too).

Hm. I haven't done a nand dump in a while -- probably be a good idea if I did one again now since there was that Wii U update -- but I can't recall what it's supposed to look like when doing one.

Have you made sure your SD card is big enough, and that the write-protection lock is unlocked so that it can be written to? That's all I can think of at the moment.

I should also ask, when you've had the screens do that, I assume you forced a shutdown on the console with the power button. After that though, did you eject the SD card and insert it into a computer to check its contents? It could help diagnosing the issue to know if it was successfully dumping anything to the SD card or not.

Although, I will say, an SD card can seem fine and still be damaged imperceptibly -- I had one that worked flawlessly with everything except one single game backup that would crash a loader consistently. The file wasn't corrupted, and the card was fine according to my Linux PC, and the game ran correctly when I copied it to a USB thumb stick (which was just to test it quickly, don't use USB flash drives for any long-term storage solutions on your Wii U or Wii or vWii). Only when I put the SD card in a Windows laptop did it detect it was damaged, and after it repaired it the game ran perfectly in the loader.

So, I wouldn't necessarily rule out an issue with the SD card.

Another thing you could try is redownloading the nanddumper, if it's the nanddumper causing the issue.
I checked all of these things. Is big enough and the write protection isn't active. I also check the SD card after I tried to do the nand backup and I found no files or folders.

And why you say don't use USB flash drives with the WiiU? Is bad? I was using one of 64gb since 4 years ago and I have no problems. Recently I upgrade It buying a brand-new 256gb USB flash. (And works fine) I did bad? 🥹

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Wii u writes a little much which wears out the flash faster. Especially if you have a cheap flash drive, with bottom of the barrel flash and bad wear leveling. I wouldn't worry too much if it is a newer quality flash drive. Of course it can die, but so can every storage

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4