Gaming How does the Switch compare to the Wii-U in terms of hardware?

kiais

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How powerful is this console in comparison to the Wii-U, and how far does it fall from the Xbox one?

I know the Switch's compromise is in portability and Nintendo knows how to utilize there console for an immersive experience with it's own catalog but this console needs to at least have a leg up on the Wii-U to have a third party catalog. I was wondering if there was any resources on some hardware specifications or help deciphering what it means in terms of what the console can do.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We'll find out eventually when the chip gets dissected. But so far it seems better than the Wii U but not as great as the Xbox One, but it's sheer flexibility makes it far better than the Xbox one.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basic specs comparison:
  • CPU: Wii U = PowerPC 750 ("G3") with paired singles; Switch = quad-core ARMv8 (Cortex A57?) SoC; nVidia Tegra based
  • GPU: Wii U = Radeon R600/700 (HD 2000-4000 series); Switch = nVidia Tegra X1 or X2 or somewhere in-between
  • RAM: Wii U = 2 GB, Switch = 4 GB
  • Storage: Wii U = 8/32GB eMMC + 1GB SLC NAND; Switch = 32GB eMMC
  • Network: Wii U = 802.11n 2.4 GHz; Switch = 802.11n+ac, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Since Nintendo never gives us specs, I say the best policy is to wait until we get a major 1st party game that is made ground-up for the Switch and compare it to something similar on the WiiU. So I guess we await Mario Odyssey this fall.

kiais

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basic specs comparison:
  • CPU: Wii U = PowerPC 750 ("G3") with paired singles; Switch = quad-core ARMv8 (Cortex A57?) SoC; nVidia Tegra based
  • GPU: Wii U = Radeon R600/700 (HD 2000-4000 series); Switch = nVidia Tegra X1 or X2 or somewhere in-between
  • RAM: Wii U = 2 GB, Switch = 4 GB
  • Storage: Wii U = 8/32GB eMMC + 1GB SLC NAND; Switch = 32GB eMMC
  • Network: Wii U = 802.11n 2.4 GHz; Switch = 802.11n+ac, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz

Yeah 'm not familiar with the differences between CPU&GPU in terms of how different they are in comparison but
twice the amount of RAM seems like a leg up.

Since Nintendo never gives us specs, I say the best policy is to wait until we get a major 1st party game that is made ground-up for the Switch and compare it to something similar on the WiiU. So I guess we await Mario Odyssey this fall.

Yeah that's probably best or if a title spanning all consoles comes out that can give us a broad comparison, don't know if I can count Yooka-Laylee because it looks the same across all consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.