How does the Switch compare to the Wii-U in terms of hardware?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by kiais, Mar 3, 2017.

1. kiais
    OP

kiais Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2017
    United States
    How powerful is this console in comparison to the Wii-U, and how far does it fall from the Xbox one?

I know the Switch's compromise is in portability and Nintendo knows how to utilize there console for an immersive experience with it's own catalog but this console needs to at least have a leg up on the Wii-U to have a third party catalog. I was wondering if there was any resources on some hardware specifications or help deciphering what it means in terms of what the console can do.

2. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    We'll find out eventually when the chip gets dissected. But so far it seems better than the Wii U but not as great as the Xbox One, but it's sheer flexibility makes it far better than the Xbox one.

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Basic specs comparison:
    • CPU: Wii U = PowerPC 750 ("G3") with paired singles; Switch = quad-core ARMv8 (Cortex A57?) SoC; nVidia Tegra based
    • GPU: Wii U = Radeon R600/700 (HD 2000-4000 series); Switch = nVidia Tegra X1 or X2 or somewhere in-between
    • RAM: Wii U = 2 GB, Switch = 4 GB
    • Storage: Wii U = 8/32GB eMMC + 1GB SLC NAND; Switch = 32GB eMMC
    • Network: Wii U = 802.11n 2.4 GHz; Switch = 802.11n+ac, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz

4. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Since Nintendo never gives us specs, I say the best policy is to wait until we get a major 1st party game that is made ground-up for the Switch and compare it to something similar on the WiiU. So I guess we await Mario Odyssey this fall.

5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    it kills it

Xzi and kiais like this.
  6. kiais
    OP

kiais Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2017
    United States
    Yeah 'm not familiar with the differences between CPU&GPU in terms of how different they are in comparison but
    twice the amount of RAM seems like a leg up.

Yeah that's probably best or if a title spanning all consoles comes out that can give us a broad comparison, don't know if I can count Yooka-Laylee because it looks the same across all consoles.