How does region locking affect these flashcarts?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by kenio8185, Feb 19, 2015.

1. kenio8185
    OP

kenio8185 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2008
    Canada
    canada
    I think it's safe to assume the flashcarts are not locked to any region, but do the roms have to be from a specific region, or can the roms be used from any region?

2. Codename

Codename GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO

Feb 21, 2012
    Canada
    I haven't got my Gateway 3DS in the mail just yet, but I've read that it supports ROMs from any region. It probably also supports retail carts from any region, provided that you're running them in Gateway Mode EmuNAND. Sky3DS, on the other hand, does not support any ROMs from other regions, unless you use smealum's regionthree hack. Regionthree works for retail carts too, but it isn't guaranteed to work for every foreign cart. The best bet, if you want to play games from different regions, is to get a Gateway 3DS flashcard. With it, you can either import foreign games or pirate them, provided that your 3DS has a SysNAND firmware version of 9.2 or less. Sky3DS and regionthree, on the other hand, can be used on firmwares 9.0 to 9.5 (but not all games run well with it).

3. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    sky3DS is region locked, you need ROMs from the region your 3DS is in. Gateway isn't region locked, you can install whatever you want.

4. Codename

Codename GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO

Feb 21, 2012
    Canada
    Sky3DS can play some games that are region locked if they work with Smealum's regionthree exploit.

5. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    I personally don't count regionthree only because it doesn't work on N3DS, but yes, regionthree can get around the restriction on some (but not all) games.