SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a program which downloads something from the internet, and I want to find out where it downloads it from. I did a little research and found that the program to do this with was Ethereal. However, I then found it was discontinued and that WireShark was a continuation of the project or something similar. So I downloaded and installed WireShark Portable, and now I want to know, how do I use it? I just want to be able to see where the earlier mentioned program downloads the file from, can anyone tell me how to do this, or point me in the right direction please?

SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is there no way to just monitor one program's internet access without monitoring the whole network?

EDIT: And also without buying anything, and on Windows? I don't want to monitor the network, I just want to see the address to which the program connects to download from. If there is another program better suited than WireShark, can someone advise me of this?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even simpler version: use a good firewall and turn it up to super paranoid mode. The popups generated usually contain all the necessary info.

Even "simpler" version: use a hex editor, not foolproof but most web sites an app might access are usually encoded in the exe file in plain ASCII. Obviously compression, encryption, dynamic/generated links and the like will frustrate this. No need to go to unpacking apps though as the firewall/monitoring software works just as well.

SifJar

Not a pirate
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Proximodo was pretty simple once I figured out that it was what I needed, but I never thought of opening the exe in a hex editor...I'll remember that for future.

EDIT: opening the exe with a hex editor would have been easier, I tried it and found the address in seconds. Oh well, I'll know for again. Although I think Proximodo was simpler than setting up/configuring a firewall.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse