Homebrew How do you upgrade to DSiMenu++ from TWLoader?

NFates

Wants to understand™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
It's as the title says. I have seen some tutorials out there but they for some reason feel incomplete, so I thought I could ask here for a link to one, because there's probably one already on this site but I didn't see it. Also, where should the roms go now?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by NFates,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's as the title says. I have seen some tutorials out there but they for some reason they feel incomplete, so I thought I could ask here for a link to one, because there's probably one already on this site but I didn't see it. Also, where should the roms go now?

Thanks in advance!

Instructions (No flashcard, 3DS/2DS users).
Roms can go anywhere as DSiMenu++ can navigate through folders, but the typical location is [SD root]/roms/nds

Reactions: NFates

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Deleting TWLoader files seems to help negate potential problems later, so just delete the _nds folder before doing anything else. After that, download DSiMenu++ and DSiMenu++ Launcher. The contents you need to put on your SD card from the DSiMenuPlusPlus archive you get from github are the "_nds" folder, the "roms" folder (just a central place to store your roms, not really required), the "cia" folder, and "BOOT.NDS". Other than that, if you want to be able to launch DSiMenu++ from Hombrew Launcher, you also need the "3ds" folder.

After copying those files and folders from both archives, install the "cia" files from the cia folder. There should be 3 of them. Then you can use the launcher from your home menu to launch DSiMenu++.

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,

NFates

Wants to understand™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Deleting TWLoader files seems to help negate potential problems later, so just delete the _nds folder before doing anything else. After that, download DSiMenu++ and DSiMenu++ Launcher. The contents you need to put on your SD card from the DSiMenuPlusPlus archive you get from github are the "_nds" folder, the "roms" folder (just a central place to store your roms, not really required), the "cia" folder, and "BOOT.NDS". Other than that, if you want to be able to launch DSiMenu++ from Hombrew Launcher, you also need the "3ds" folder.

After copying those files and folders from both archives, install the "cia" files from the cia folder. There should be 3 of them. Then you can use the launcher from your home menu to launch DSiMenu++.

You mean the "TWLoader TWLNAND side" and "TWLoader TWLNAND side (Part 2)", together with the TWLoader app itself?

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
You mean the "TWLoader TWLNAND side" and "TWLoader TWLNAND side (Part 2)", together with the TWLoader app itself?
No, those cia files can remain installed if you want. I'm specifically referring to the "_nds" directory as a whole. I'm not sure what files in there cause problems for people since I never had an issue installing over TWLoader, but a lot of people have. However, I see no reason to keep TWLoader installed once you have DSiMenu++ installed, unless one of the few features it has that DSiMenu++ lacks are important to you.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, thanks to both of you guys! Already installed it and tested it (works great!). Deleted the _nds folder first and also deleted both TWLoader TWLNand side cias. Also TWLoader.

I don't know why I didn't think that Rob guide wouldn't be enough.
Have fun. Be sure to update nds-bootstrap often. Lately, compatibility updates have been really frequent. https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's as the title says. I have seen some tutorials out there but they for some reason they feel incomplete, so I thought I could ask here for a link to one, because there's probably one already on this site but I didn't see it. Also, where should the roms go now?

Thanks in advance!
I really don't think it's worth it to update to DSiMenu++. Less options, uglier UI. I'm sticking with TWLoader.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I really don't think it's worth it to update to DSiMenu++. Less options, uglier UI. I'm sticking with TWLoader.
That's like your opinion, man.
Personally I found TWLoader to be painfully slow due to all the unnecessary features and I've been enjoying DSiMenu++ since updating to it.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

BlastedGuy9905

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's like your opinion, man.
Personally I found TWLoader to be painfully slow due to all the unnecessary features and I've been enjoying DSiMenu++ since updating to it.
Yes, and I stated it as my opinion. I don't want to force it onto other people. TWLoader seems faster to me than DSiMenu++, idk how. It just is for me. Loads up very quickly for me.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes, and I stated it as my opinion. I don't want to force it onto other people. TWLoader seems faster to me than DSiMenu++, idk how. It just is for me. Loads up very quickly for me.
Fair enough. Personally I've still been using my DS Flashcart more, but that's mostly because I am not done with my experiments with them.

BlastedGuy9905

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough. Personally I've still been using my DS Flashcart more, but that's mostly because I am not done with my experiments with them.
I was extremely disappointed when I hacked my DSi and then I found out my DSTT doesn't work on it... I spent 3 hours modding it cause I followed the wrong tutorial.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One option that is returning from TWLoader in the next DSiMenu++ version, is Slot-1 launching via NTR Launcher, which will also launch incompatible flashcards.
As for box art, I'm considering it, but I may have to change the DSi Menu theme code a bit to implement box art loading.

Also, by "ugly", do you mean the blurriness? If so, you can hold either START or SELECT while DSiMenu++ starts, to go into native resolution mode.
There may be black borders, but it's close to how TWLoader looked like.
TWLoader seems faster to me than DSiMenu++, idk how. It just is for me. Loads up very quickly for me.
fyi, how long it takes to start DSiMenu++ itself, is the same as how long it takes to launch a game in TWLoader.

NFates

Wants to understand™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
It's not like what I think can change the facts, but IMO DSiMenu++ feels faster than TWLoader, is visually better, and just feels better overall. Perhaps TWLoader has some features, like updating nds-bootstrap from the app, that DSiMenu++ doesn't have, but it will surely get them over time (right, Rob? ;)).

Reactions: RocketRobz

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not like what I think can change the facts, but IMO DSiMenu++ feels faster than TWLoader, is visually better, and just feels better overall. Perhaps TWLoader has some features, like updating nds-bootstrap from the app, that DSiMenu++ doesn't have, but it will surely get them over time (right, Rob? ;)).
ofc

Reactions: NFates

BlastedGuy9905

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
which will also launch incompatible flashcards.
Does that mean DSTT on DSi?!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

fyi, how long it takes to start DSiMenu++ itself, is the same as how long it takes to launch a game in TWLoader.
Whoa. Guess I didn't really have any chance to launch any DS game with DSiMenu++ yet. But starting DSiMenu++ seems longer than starting TWLoader.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, by "ugly", do you mean the blurriness?
I meant the top screen. Last version I checked, it was a blue gradient.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does that mean DSTT on DSi?!
We'll see, but if I we're you, I'd just use the flashcard on an original DS/DS lite, and just use the SD card on the DSi or 3DS. (Your choice, though.) :P
We have almost all games with the latest nds-bootstrap version.
Whoa. Guess I didn't really have any chance to launch any DS game with DSiMenu++ yet. But starting DSiMenu++ seems longer than starting TWLoader.
Indeed it is, but at least starting a game is faster now.
Also, once you're in a game on the SD card, you can hold L+R+DOWN+B for 2 seconds to return to DSiMenu++. (Please use Rei-Six, or this Luma build when doing the button combo, though.)
It is a bit faster returning to it, compared to starting it via the DSiMenu++ launcher or FBI.
I meant the top screen. Last version I checked, it was a blue gradient.
Well, it's not a gradient background anymore. The top screen border is back, and the photo is just the logo of DSiMenu++.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1