How do you store your consoles?

Red_Soldat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Greetings everyone, recently I've come across a slightly puzzling problem that is: how to store all my consoles and peripherals?

I'm a bit of a collector/hoarder when it comes to pretty much everything, so space runs out pretty quickly.
Over the course of the last two and a half decades I've amassed:
  • 1x PS1 + 1 Controller
  • 1x PS2 + 2 Controllers
  • 1x PS3 + 2 Controllers
  • 2x PS4 + 3 Controllers
  • 1x PSP
  • 1x PS Vita, soon to be 2x

• 1x Xbox 360 + 4 Controllers
  • 2x Xbox One + 3 Controllers

• 1x GameBoy
  • 1x GBA
  • 1x Wii + 2 Controller sets
  • 1x WiiU + Gamepad
  • 3x 3DS
  • 2x Switch

Now, most of the newer (duplicate) entries rest safe in their boxes, but the older ones are out in the wild and constantly being moved around.
My question is, have you found a space efficient, "safe" and quickly accessible way to store old consoles and peripherals (especially controllers, damn those things)?

I've tried big plastic boxes, but everything was just messy and stacked on top of each other, which wasn't ideal. Tried reserving a shelf, but space filled up pretty quickly and things got dusty.
The next step I had in mind was foamcore insert for the aforementioned plastic boxes, much like boardgame inserts, but being a total disaster at DIY I would rather go with a ready-made way.

Last edited by Red_Soldat,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it is one of those ones that I need to desolder or otherwise remove a battery for things to not explode internally and corrode everything then I might do that.
Theoretically I could do an annual or whatever charge of batteries for those things with internal batteries but eh really. Easier in the end to replace them when I want to drag them back out.
Otherwise plastic storage tubs, or on top of said tubs on shelves. Never felt the need for anything special here -- dust blows off lasers easily enough. That said I do live in the UK which is pretty mild as these things go (no particular heat, no particular humidity, cold rarely bothers much that is not batteries).

Reactions: zxr750j

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
They get thrown in boxes and these get put on shelves in my storage room. I guess I'll need a better solution one of these days, as it gets tedious finding what I'm looking for. With that old stuff rising in value it also seems kind of wrong storing it that way.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
try stop being a hoarder first then sell the duplicates and with the cash buy couple mor shelves and a couple bottles of polish

Reactions: Hayato213

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Greetings everyone, recently I've come across a slightly puzzling problem that is: how to store all my consoles and peripherals?

I'm a bit of a collector/hoarder when it comes to pretty much everything, so space runs out pretty quickly.
Over the course of the last two and a half decades I've amassed:
  • 1x PS1 + 1 Controller
  • 1x PS2 + 2 Controllers
  • 1x PS3 + 2 Controllers
  • 2x PS4 + 3 Controllers
  • 1x PSP
  • 1x PS Vita, soon to be 2x

• 1x Xbox 360 + 4 Controllers
  • 2x Xbox One + 3 Controllers

• 1x GameBoy
  • 1x GBA
  • 1x Wii + 2 Controller sets
  • 1x WiiU + Gamepad
  • 3x 3DS
  • 2x Switch

Now, most of the newer (duplicate) entries rest safe in their boxes, but the older ones are out in the wild and constantly being moved around.
My question is, have you found a space efficient, "safe" and quickly accessible way to store old consoles and peripherals (especially controllers, damn those things)?

I've tried big plastic boxes, but everything was just messy and stacked on top of each other, which wasn't ideal. Tried reserving a shelf, but space filled up pretty quickly and things got dusty.
The next step I had in mind was foamcore insert for the aforementioned plastic boxes, much like boardgame inserts, but being a total disaster at DIY I would rather go with a ready-made way.
The best way to store them is to get a big media shelf or two and keep them all hooked up for convenient access :)
But not all of us have the space for that. It's my dream to one day get a bigger place, where I can make a proper mancave with all my consoles hooked up and a projector as well.

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My collection was taken during a burglary, I have been collecting again but only the Nintendo handhelds: They are in a display in my living room. So my tip: Only hoard handhelds, they don't take up much space and are easily stackable!

And nice to hear that your PS Vita is expecting!

Red_Soldat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
try stop being a hoarder first then sell the duplicates and with the cash buy couple mor shelves and a couple bottles of polish

Easier said than done. Duplicates are mostly half generation steps of the same console (PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, New 3DS).

The best way to store them is to get a big media shelf or two and keep them all hooked up for convenient access :)
But not all of us have the space for that. It's my dream to one day get a bigger place, where I can make a proper mancave with all my consoles hooked up and a projector as well.

Yeah, I feel you. Last two generations of the home consoles are hooked up right now, sitting in two cheap Ikea shelves that act as supports for my desk. It's mostly the peripherals and the older generations that desperately need a safe place to rest.

My collection was taken during a burglary, I have been collecting again but only the Nintendo handhelds: They are in a display in my living room. So my tip: Only hoard handhelds, they don't take up much space and are easily stackable!

And nice to hear that your PS Vita is expecting!

Again, easier said than done, as I'm a sucker for new shiny things, being it big or small. And I honestly chuckled reading your response, good one!

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Can confirm too,ANY Space....
Even on the Toilet lays an DSi or an PSP.....:D

wow thats nice alex.

giphy.gif

supernintendo128

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I store all of my controllers in drawers (separated by generation) and most of my systems are near the TV. My handhelds are also in drawers. I keep all of my games on the shelf.

Randall_Adams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's been a few years, any updates on the situation? lol

I just posted in a similarly old thread about controller storage, so I'm gonna copy my reply here. The "attached" files are at the original post. Original Post

But basically, I printed some boxes to hold my ps2 controllers.

I was thinking about printing stands/shelving/whatever for the consoles I want to hook up and for storage, but I haven't poured much time into doing that just yet. This is the beginning of me putting time into that idea lol.

I've got more controllers than I know what to do with lol. If I see a good specimen at a thrift store I can't not buy it lol. We had a few ps2 controllers wire sheath break at the point it goes into the controller resulting in the wires inside also breaking, and a few broke without the sheath breaking. And that was back in the mid 2000s, so I'm very weary of my controllers breaking. My brother and I were on the ps2 almost 24/7 during the summer/weekends, and as close to 24/7 as possible when school was in session.

So I may be going a bit extreme for some of you guys, but I purchased a ~$200 3d printer and have printed a few boxy holders for my ps2 controllers. I wanted to make sure it had enough room to not kink the wire at the controller end or the port end. I also very much wanted nothing smashing the joysticks. I wanted to make sure they'd be resting straight up in their natural position, so I also made sure there was enough clearance above the controller. I lay the wire down on the bottom of the box in a very loose circle and then rest the controller on top. I can stack the boxes on top of each other.

And coincidentally I have a bunch of leftover little crate-like boxes that hold 11 games perfectly in them that I was using for that purpose, and so I designed the controller boxes to fit 2 inside a crate. My box design is far from perfected, so I haven't printed many. I need to address some things with my 3d printer first, but I was wanting to eventually design the controller boxes to slightly sit inside each other or something, as right now the tops and bottoms are flat and don't prevent slipping. Though the slipping thing isn't a problem if they're in the crates, I don't wanna buy more crates and the boxes take up less room without the crate.

I haven't bothered putting any other controllers in the controller box yet, so idk if I need to adjust the design for anything yet.

Gcode and stl attached. If you makes lots of money selling these, or modified versions of them, then compensate me fairly haha. Uhm I guess if somebody asks, give me due credit. And if you wanna upload these somewhere, don't. Ask me first, I'll probably either upload them myself or maybe tell you idc if you do. Idk, I don't wanna be all lawyery. Just be coo. If I "perfect" the design I might wanna sell them somewhere lol so yeah. Okay. Have fun. Hope this post helps someone.

Caleck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As of now they're mostly in a horrible sacrificial circle around the TV in my bedroom. The ones I use actively are plugged in while the rest kinda just... sit there.

I intend to put them neatly in shelves, sorted by generation. My room was basically someone else's workspace and there's still stuff left behind, so I haven't been able to clear up enough space. Hopefully soon enough we'll move all the leftover stuff out.

Randall_Adams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah! A lot of people don't seem to know these exist, they're great! Meant to say this in the last post.

Don't gotta worry about vampire electricity, or overloading a circuit.

Having an individual switch for each port is nice.

temp.png

Infinitum8t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have most of my older systems in 16"x16"x16" cubes in shelves. Each column of cubes is either Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft/Sony, Miscellaneous.
I have several consoles in softshell cases with their respective wires.
Still looking for older cases as they're expensive on eBay.

Red_Soldat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, it's been a few years, any updates on the situation? lol

I just posted in a similarly old thread about controller storage, so I'm gonna copy my reply here. The "attached" files are at the original post. Original Post

But basically, I printed some boxes to hold my ps2 controllers.

I was thinking about printing stands/shelving/whatever for the consoles I want to hook up and for storage, but I haven't poured much time into doing that just yet. This is the beginning of me putting time into that idea lol.
Actually yes, I do have an update.

I recently moved to a new apartment and now most of my gaming stuff is (kind of) organized inside a wardrobe.

1641811928483.png

Cheap cardboard boxes found on amazon will do for the time being, but will upgrade to something more solid when I find the time to do so.
The handhelds are on display on a shelf and my most played home systems live under the TV.

Reactions: Randall_Adams

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1