ROM Hack How do you repoint an sseq file to another part of the DS rom?

biolizardshadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WAIT! So did I have to just put 08 or something like that at the end of the pointer and it would work? And I believe the pointers on the DS are in little endian just like on the GBA though the DS might also support big endian as well.

Last edited by biolizardshadow,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
WAIT! So did I have to just put 08 or something like that at the end of the pointer and it would work? And I believe the pointers on the DS are in little endian just like on the GBA though the DS might also support big endian as well.
No it was more that if you can handle the abstraction of the 08?????? and endianness for the GBA that DS stuff should not pose a problem as it is all pretty simple (depending upon the format you either start at the start of a file, start at a given point within the file, or on some rarer occasions add the current location to the value contained at the pointer and go to the result). Endianess wise then yeah get ready to flip stuff for 95% of files out there, however there are a few that don't.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends what you are doing.

If you are repointing say to do a song tweak and have it play another song from within the same SSEQ (no addition, no alterations) then you get to tweak the pointer, and possibly change the bank to the one it uses.
Overwriting if smaller (pad it out) or same size should be much the same.
Overwriting if larger is when things get more fun.

If you are adding one to the end I think I covered what would have to be done earlier when I went through the sections.

biolizardshadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm? I think the music for Sonic Rush was poorly coded or something cause I can't access some of the SDAT or SSEQ with VGMusic Studio, Nitro Studio or VGMTRANS, the only files I could access were the ones in the sys folder and the SDAT file would freak out whenever I would repoint a song to another location but they seem to work fine in the game so I'm not sure what's going on exactly, but you seem to know a good deal about the GBA and the DS so maybe you might have an idea of what's going on since I'm not as well versed in these things. But then again you mentioned earlier that if I expand the SDAT that I would have to change the size of the FAT which either I was changing the wrong byte or it didn't do anything but I'm not sure which one since I haven't encountered a FAT before so that's still kind of new to me.

Last edited by biolizardshadow,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro