How do you make sure a screen of any kind does not have dead pixels before purchasing?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,078
  • Replies 8
D

Deleted User

OP
We've all experienced it at one point or another. We bought a TV, phone, laptop, Switch, PSP or whatever other device with a screen attached to it and it has at least one dead pixel. Normally dead pixels are not covered under warranty unless the amount of dead pixels exceeds a certain number. It sucks on displays with low pixel densities like the DSi XL and 3DS XL. Sometimes if you return the item within a week or two the store will refund or replace it under grounds of customer change of mind, but they are not legally obliged to do so; they will only do it if their return policy allows it.

So how do you make sure your new screen that you spent at least a few hundred dollars on is defect free before buying it?

Edit:
not sure if it's the same in Greece.
I actually live in Australia

Last edited by ,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You can't. Unless you force the person selling to physically open the box and look at it for you, there's nothing else you can do.

Just stick to buying from reputable sources and 99 times out of 100 it'll never be a problem, and if it is you can just replace it. Don't think I've ever bought anything with a screen that's had a dead pixel the last 10+ years.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
You cant.

On more expensive products manufacturers have actually conceptualized that consumers wont accept dead pixels, without being vocally disappointed, so yield levels have been adjusted accordingly.

Mostly worrying about this should be a thing from the past.

That doesnt mean, that they will replace your devices on manufacturers warrenty though. ;) (So take advantage of store return policies.)

Reactions: Ryccardo
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Most reputable retailers have a pretty great return policy nowadays. If you have a dead pixel, just take/send it back and get it swapped. Amazon, for their part, offers refunds no-questions-asked. Though, I speak for US retailers and eCommerce, not sure if it's the same in Greece.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Though, I speak for US retailers and eCommerce, not sure if it's the same in Greece.
While the (voluntary) 1-month returns I have heard of some American stores are legendary (a commercial movie was shot on such a "rental" camera), in the EU you have the legal right to return anything you didn't buy in person (phone/mail/web/etc) for any reason for 2 weeks since you received it :)

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Most reputable retailers have a pretty great return policy nowadays. If you have a dead pixel, just take/send it back and get it swapped. Amazon, for their part, offers refunds no-questions-asked. Though, I speak for US retailers and eCommerce, not sure if it's the same in Greece.
Online retailers have to do that legally in many parts of the world, simply because with ecommerce the user can not inspect the product beforehand. So if that would not be law, think of all the scams people could come up with... ;)

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

fiis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm dropping cash I'm checking right in the store. I won't mention the store, but I got a Q8 recently and the sales guy was telling me how they now power it on in the store to make sure it turns on because some customer tried to pull something. Didn't bother me, he turned it on and I took that chance to see if there were any dead pixels, saw one immediately. So I asked him for another one. He said we had to return and re-buy, my response was yes. Brings out next TV, does same thing, I again check for pixels, and then he has the nerve to come over and say you're not allowed to do that. I look at him and say, so you can protect yourself from shitty customers but I can't protect myself from defective units. I politely then said, dude walk away, before I return this thing and go give the commission to someone else. New unit didn't have any dead pixels so I was happy and left with my TV.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==