How do I make a .cia for a system title in NAND?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Myria, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Myria
    OP

Myria GBAtemp Fan

Jul 24, 2014
    United States
    How do I make a .cia file for a system title stored in one of my 3DS's SysNANDs? I'd like to use it to install on the SysNAND of a different 3DS. Both the source and target 3DS's are NAND-modded and on ≤ 9.2.0, so I don't have concerns about potential bricking.

I know how to decrypt the SysNAND file system and access its files; it's the .cia creation that I don't know how to do.

2. Psi-hate

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    Would funkycia work?

3. Hazelnutz

Hazelnutz Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2015
    Sydney
    If you are trying to update a game then you can try to use the eShop hax from HBL. i used this to update pokemon in sysnand then followed the funckycia to extract the update to cia

4. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    FunkyCIA gets encrypted stuff from CDN and makes a cia.

nand titles are not encrypted to your own console... maybe you could encrpyt it back and make the cia with makecdncia. but just the files sure you could use makerom i guess

5. Myria
    OP

Myria GBAtemp Fan

Jul 24, 2014
    United States
    That's the problem >.< These titles aren't on the CDN anymore, because it's an old version...

6. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    sure, so use your files. they are already not tied to your console because nand titles are not like that - so just use makerom to make a cia.
    it won't be a 'legit' cia though i guess, so you would need hax to get it to load, unless you already have a legit ticket for the title that will be used - and i guess you do.
    give it a try :)
    there might be a way to reencrypt it with the titlekey in the ticket (using the aes cbc thing, i guess it will work but i don't know if it will encrypt it 100% exactly the same each time), to recreate the encryted content from cdn, then you can use make_cdn_cia and you will have a 'perfect' cia

7. Syphurith

Syphurith Beginner

Mar 8, 2013
    Switzerland
    Xi'an, Shaanxi Province
    @d0k3 Oh a good feature maybe? Wait this may be much easier on PC than done on a real console.
    To fully decrypt a CDN CXI/CFA, the titlekey is first used then the common keyY.
    The .app files inside your decrypted NAND/EmuNAND dump is only decrypted using the decrypted titlekey.
    So, to get its raw CDN content, you would need to re-encrypt the .app with its titlekey.
    And, .tmd contains the origin TMD without certs of "CP0000000b" and "CA00000003".
    cetk could be easily fetched from CDN, this seldom changes, and this contains the encrypted titlekey.
    Then you could rename those done, delete the .app extension, .tmd to just tmd, and file cetk keeps still.
    Put all those inside a same folder, and use make_cdn_cia, thus you get a raw CDN CIA of the title.
    The decrypted titlekeys can be dumped, yup.

8. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    What titles are you looking for? Pm me if you don't want to publicly share

9. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    basically what i said but more detailed, thanks :)

10. Myria
    OP

Myria GBAtemp Fan

Jul 24, 2014
    United States
    9.2.0-20U firmware titles.

11. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    You need them decrypted or something? They are all on the iso site

12. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    yeah you are in luck, they shouldn't be hard to find lol :)
    (next time maybe add that in your op then you would get your end result faster)

Last edited by cearp, Dec 6, 2015
    Ronhero likes this.