Homebrew How do I export wii homebrew on devkitpro without a built in editor

teh_supar_hackr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to follow this guide with the latest version of this software. I did a full install and the tutorials tell me to check the option to install programmer's notepad, but there was no option. When trying to find the "make" option in the tools tab after loading an example project, I could'int find it. They also told me to hold alt+1 when clicking, but nothing. I would have gone to devkitpro's forum, but there stupid method of anti spam confused the hell out of me and told me that this session had to many attempts which was very annoying, what is the answer to this, "What 3 letter word is formed by the first, fourth and seventh characters in the URL of this site?". Thanks, and don't tell me that I suck at spelling or grammar at this time, because I hate it when people only say that, and don't add to the topic post.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
which URL ?
you need to count letters position to find "the first, fourth and seventh characters" and enter these 3 letters.
Was it that hard to understand you had to do that? because if this is hard, I can't imagine how harder it will be to follow a homebrew compilation tutorial.

Maybe this is not only to prevent bots from posting/registering to the forum, but also sort people with enough knowledge to code homebrew?

Last edited by Cyan,

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
devkitpro comes with programmers notepad. it should all be in the windows installer. unless you are not using windows.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
devkitpro comes with programmers notepad. it should all be in the windows installer. unless you are not using windows.

Not anymore it doesn't. :)

Visual Studio and VS Code are both quite useful IDEs even for devkitPPC.

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Not anymore it doesn't. :)

Visual Studio and VS Code are both quite useful IDEs even for devkitPPC.
Yeah but saying something is useful is one thing. I haven't downloaded the fun thing lately so I do not know how difficult it is to set up the new stuff. I don't see many people working on anything so maybe they should go back to using programmers notepad. Alot of this new stuff is all bells and whistles and hate for noobs to figure out.

I know that programmers notepad is running the make file on the command line but I have no clue what commands it is actually calling. It is probably documented somewhere.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can just compile stuff from a regular Windows CLI with devkitPPC... I'm guessing all Programmer's Notepad does is invoke "make." I generally just leave a CLI open with my IDE but you can integrate make, make clean, etc. with VS/VSCode, too.

If you still want Notepad here is the official site: http://www.pnotepad.org/

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never used programmer notepad, nor other IDE.
I just use a simple text editor, and compile with a command line window, or .bat file, by typing make -j4 (where 4 is CPU core number to use to speed the compile time)

I didn't know programmer notepad wasn't installed by devkitpro installer anymore.
But if it's only used to follow a compiling tutorial, then just opening a MSDos command line window in the same folder than "makefile" file, and typing "make" is enough (if you properly rebooted the PC after devkitpro install).
you don't need the program, which is use more for editing sources.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: kaisersozeh

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I never used programmer notepad, nor other IDE.
I just use a simple text editor, and compile with a command line window, or .bat file, by typing make -j4 (where 4 is CPU core number to use to speed the compile time)

I didn't know programmer notepad wasn't installed by devkitpro installer anymore.
But if it's only used to follow a compiling tutorial, then just opening a MSDos command line window in the same folder than "makefile" file, and typing "make" is enough (if you properly rebooted the PC after devkitpro install).
you don't need the program, which is use more for editing sources.
This has really helped me - thanks!
I've updated to the latest devkitpro - the examples will compile (WOOHOOO!) but I get "conflicting types for nanosleep" when I try anything else - I don't have the experience to tell - is this an error in the update, or is everyone going to have to change their code to fit?
Thanks!

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Try to determine how many you have fix first.
Then fix the first one and recompile. Its very annoying when something changes.
How would i go about finding how many changes are needed? 'Make' stops at the first error?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
a solution is to downgrade your devkitPPC to r29-1 or r27 (until you find the PPC version used for the source you want to compile)
it's not the best to use old version, but the easiest, and it works.

to do that, you can find the old version on sourceforge. get the .exe installers, but don't install them. Just use an extractor (like 7zip) to extract its content to a new folder.
either replace this folder with "devkitPPC" in your devkitpro folder, or type :
set DEVKITPPC=/c/path/to/your/non/last/version/
before typing make in your command window

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So i can have different libraries at the same time, and just change where the environment points to. Obvious when you know how :D . Fantastic. Thanks!

Reactions: Cyan

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would i go about finding how many changes are needed? 'Make' stops at the first error?

What is the error? If you want to upgrade the project you're compiling to gcc 8.1.0 (I'd recommend this over using an old toolchain) you should learn how to fix the errors.

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What is the error? If you want to upgrade the project you're compiling to gcc 8.1.0 (I'd recommend this over using an old toolchain) you should learn how to fix the errors.
Ill be able to look at that later today, im a bit intimidated by the prospect, tbh!
Wiimpathy had already offered to help with fixing the compiling errors when updating - he's updated the same code to build with the last toolchain very recently.
The error
Code:
 In file included from c:\sources\quakegx-plugin2\source\src\generic\quakedef.h:191,
                 from C:/sources/QuakeGX-plugin2/source/src/wii/input.c:27:
C:/devkitPro/libogc/include/ogcsys.h:35:5: error: conflicting types for 'nanosleep'
 int nanosleep(struct timespec *tb);
     ^~~~~~~~~
In file included from C:/devkitPro/libogc/include/ogc/system.h:43,
                 from C:/devkitPro/libogc/include/gccore.h:62,
                 from C:/devkitPro/libogc/include/ogcsys.h:4,
                 from c:\sources\quakegx-plugin2\source\src\generic\quakedef.h:191,
c:\devkitpro\devkitppc\powerpc-eabi\include\time.h:210:5: note: previous declaration of 'nanosleep' was here
 int nanosleep (const struct timespec  *rqtp, struct timespec *rmtp);
     ^~~~~~~~~
make[2]: *** [/opt/devkitpro/devkitPPC/base_rules:18: input.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile.wii:101: obj] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/c/sources/QuakeGX-plugin2/source'
make: *** [Makefile:10: wii] Error 2
I found a similar error trying.to.compile wiiflow, but I was able to compile from the examples.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ill be able to look at that later today, im a bit intimidated by the prospect, tbh!
Wiimpathy had already offered to help with fixing the compiling errors when updating - he's updated the same code to build with the last toolchain very recently.
The error
Code:
 In file included from c:\sources\quakegx-plugin2\source\src\generic\quakedef.h:191,
C:/devkitPro/libogc/include/ogcsys.h:35:5: error: conflicting types for 'nanosleep'
 int nanosleep(struct timespec *tb);
     ^~~~~~~~~
In file included from C:/devkitPro/libogc/include/ogc/system.h:43,
                 from C:/devkitPro/libogc/include/gccore.h:62,
                 from C:/devkitPro/libogc/include/ogcsys.h:4,
                 from c:\sources\quakegx-plugin2\source\src\generic\quakedef.h:191,
c:\devkitpro\devkitppc\powerpc-eabi\include\time.h:210:5: note: previous declaration of 'nanosleep' was here
 int nanosleep (const struct timespec  *rqtp, struct timespec *rmtp);
     ^~~~~~~~~
make[2]: *** [/opt/devkitpro/devkitPPC/base_rules:18: input.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile.wii:101: obj] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/c/sources/QuakeGX-plugin2/source'
make: *** [Makefile:10: wii] Error 2
I found a similar error trying.to.compile wiiflow, but I was able to compile from the examples.

Hmm... That's odd. Unless I'm looking at a different version of QuakeGX nanosleep() isn't even called.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...