Hacking How did you learn about flash carts and hacking such things?

naveedy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just out of complete curiosity. It would be interesting to know, how each of you all learned about the r4 and m3 and cyclo, and all these other different flash carts for the ds and such?

How did you all come to find out about them? Was it a friend? Was it your self? Was it from a blog or youtube?

FOr me I found out about them from youtube, and I was AMAZED and what it could do! I creamed my effing pants. i just really wanted to be able to play SNES and NES on my DS.

I missed like a whole year or two of the development of these flash carts, but i guess it wasnt so bad, because it seems like the first year or two of NDS carts were not as good as they are now. especially how awesome the homebrew has been getting lately.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
chinese friends ftw!
yaynds.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I joined during the GBA era, where I spent a lot of time searching around, just finding out what all the GBA could do once I got my flash cart. Finally bought the cart (a Flash2Advance Ultra) and put all the stuff on it that I had been collecting for months.

I stayed active on several messageboards (PocketHeaven, GBAdev, etc) and through those learned about DS developments, so I was ready with lots of material when I got my Supercard miniSD and Superkey.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
For me....

I found a c compiler for the gameboy, I messed about with it, and assumed there would be a way to load my code onto hardware. A few google searches later, I found that there were no longer any real GB flash carts around, but there were GBA ones, so then I started looking for a way to code for the GBA, found a solution, got a GBA flash cart (EZ-Flash 128, if I remember correctly). Then later when the DS came out, I found that people had started coding on that so I looked around for how to do it. Found the relevant info on the net but I was unhappy with how crap emulators were. I got an original Passme to use my gba cart on the DS. that was fun. Later I got a GBA-MP, which was good for a while. Eventually slot-1 cards came about, after the need for Passme2 and then no-pass. I got an R4, after some disappointment with a couple of homebrews not working on it and winning a slot-1 card in a coding competition, I gave it away.

So there you go.

Meatbrain

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
^ Pretty neat

I found out about the homebrew scene when I was 'unlocking' my PSP a few years ago. My PSP's screen broke on me, so I tried to find out how to run homebrew (and multimedia) on the GBA to make it as versatile as the PSP. I wound up getting a DS flashcart instead, both for the price and the touch-screen interface. I got an R4, then and M3, and later a CycloDS, and here I am. The DS magician of my friends.

dukenukethis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been a big fan of emulators for a long time and I was on an emulator website and they were talking about an NES emulator for GBA that you could run off a flash card. I bought a 512mb X-ROM and I've been into the scene ever since. I found GBA temp after I got my M3 DS a little while ago, google baby!

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was shopping around for a Games n Music (best cart ever, right?
tongue.gif
) and I ran into a couple of different forums saying that real flash carts could play actual games instead of just the crappy homebrew (it was a lot worse then it is now). They also said the video and music was better on a nicer cart, which was important to me at the time since I hadn't gotten my iPod Touch yet. I first found the R4 (thank god I didn't buy that!), but then found the M3DS Real, which was one of the newest carts available (at the time). I purchased one, and after having tons of questions, I found GBAtemp.net. It answered about all of the questions I had. I finally registered and the rest is history!

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I've known about flashcarts from the net for a long time, but not until a friend in class got a DS and an M3 Real did I seriously consider getting both. Like many suckers I was made to believe he R4 was the cart for me. So I came on this forum to ask for suggestions and directions. I had also never bought anything online before.

darkangel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Years ago I was searching all day long for GBA and SNES ROM's. And I thought why would they be only emulated and not be copied for the original console, like the game copier for the N64 my brother had.
Since then I was searching for possibilities to play those rom's on my gba, and one day to another I found it on some rom-site, advertising for an EZ Flash, but because it was priced at 120$, and that was way too high for me at the age of 11 or 12, I just dropped the searching for such products. But then when the DS came out, I had new hope - first they sold the passkey-gba-combo sets, then there were flash-me only compatible slot-1 cards. And then the first full compatible Slot-1 card: The DS-X, That would be my very first flashcart, but I had to wait for the 16Gb Model, before santa granted me this wish.
Well, at that Time no one knew how dead the cart already was. However I was happy with it, till all the arm-7 patching occured. But even 5-10 minutes through all that hassle were it worth.

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of my Chinese friends know anything about this. They ask me about it.

I heard about the R4 in an IRC chatroom in 2006. They gave me the name of a nearby supplier, I went to find support files and ended up here. I registered last year and a few months later I got myself an M3 Real. When I heard about M3 Sakura and the unofficial translation, I came in and saw if I could help; until then I didn't bother posting. I did a few things to assist the translation effort and now my name is in the credits.

Isaiah

The Conductor
Trophies
XP
Country
well a friend at my music orchestra brought along his DS every Saturday and he had a R4. So i went searching on the net to find out what exactly it did. so i did and blah blah i bought an R4 and learnt about Gbatemp through a (rom site)
ph34r.gif

Creqaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was on vacation in china and decided to buy a DS
So i went out shopping and after i bought my DS the guy tried to sell me a Supercard DS One and i had no clue about what it was.
So when i got back to my hotel I google'd it up and found out about flashcards, I directly went back to the store and bought it.
It worked for 2 weeks and then it broke...
After that i bought another SCDS1, It worked for a week and I found gbatemp around that period.
After those disappointments I kinda forgot my DS untill my friend was bragging about his flashcard.
So i bought another flashcard, A M3 Simply this one lasted for a year.

And now I i got a cyclods ^^

budrow66

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ha this is a great. Um well my wife wanted a handheld console. So we looked and at the time the DS was the stuff. She bought one. Then Vulpes snd I had to have one. So Vulpes gets a MMD of all things and in researching how to make it do anything I got on the Flash kit lead. Got the M3 Simply soon after,Then M3 Lite, R4, EZflashV with 3 in 1, M3 Real Twice, and a Cyclo. Mostly due to what I read here and one other forum. Had more fun in the last year than in most of my dork life.

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kuraudo39 said:
well a friend at my music orchestra brought along his DS every Saturday and he had a R4. So i went searching on the net to find out what exactly it did. so i did and blah blah i bought an R4 and learnt about Gbatemp through a (rom site)
ph34r.gif
The only time I saw someone with any flashcart was at the Super Smash Bros. Brawl midnight sale I attended. There was a small group of people waiting in line playing Mario Party DS, all with R4s. I asked them in jest why the cartridges in their DSes looked funny, and they vehemently told me that they were using "not R4s". I had to convince them that I wasn't a cop and show them my M3 Real just so I could sit with them.

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
5 of my mates had an R4, and explained i could play DS games on it. I was like oh man thats awesome, like a modchip!

So read up a bit, found out that the homebrew scene was quite active, found GBATemp from looking for a emulator for it.

The next month, went to my local shop and got a DS, and ordered an R4. *shudders*

so now, around 15 people i know in my town have R4's, 8 people have CycloDS's (including me). Get together and play multiplayer games etc.

Lot of flashcarts in this small country town
biggrin.gif

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can only imagine what it's like to live in a city where all of the important kids have the same level of expertise in that subject as me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Werid went to put my ps5 ssd into my pcs m.2 bay and no detection