Gaming How can i use my laptop as a wireless hotspot?

Die Antwoord

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem:My DS can't connect to my router because it uses WPA security, and the DS only supports WEP. so i want to use my laptop as the host so my DS can connect to the internet through it. And my neighbors wi-fi which uses wep has a password.

My laptop uses wireless connection, and i have a linksys router. is it possible? google is kinda complicated for this, so i think personally asking somehere who probably did it themselves is easier.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
WEP can be cracked in seconds. My phone can do it in 4 seconds.

Since this question has come up again and again, I've been finding out that many laptop WiFi doesn't actually support AP mode (hotspot mode... although two of my laptops do support it). More than that, they don't support infrastructure mode which is what the DS actually needs to connect online. I've found that the best solution is either to configure the router to use WEP security (not advised for the above reason), or to buy a USB WiFi dongle and set that in AP mode (hotspot mode). Once the dongle is in AP mode, you need to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to enable the sharing of the internet from one WiFi network to the other.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Connect to your router (usually either through a USB cable or using a web browser to connect to 192.168.1.1, or whatever the default gateway is set to), find the section for WiFi (or WLAN) security, and change the option from WPA to WEP (the choices are usually WEP, WPA and WPA2). You'll have to reconfigure every device connected via WiFi again. We cannot give any more specific detail than that because you haven't told us what model router you have (Linksys is a brand, and says nothing about the actual router).

EDIT: I don't think we'll try explaining how to set up MAC filters, because that seems like it's just a level too high for you to handle from a quick explanation.

Die Antwoord

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hm how do i check for that? Im trying to not change to wep because other people in this house use the wi-fi, so i'm trying not to screw them over

Die Antwoord

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shakirmoledina said:
check if your laptop supports Intel MyWifi. I used that to play on the DS. Its kinda messy to configure. If u find it for your laptop (which should be intel centrino usually) then i will help u in configuration or other ppl.

i don't think it does

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: