How can I replace my 2DS Circlepad with a traditional thumbstick?

sh4rdik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there, I would like to replace the circlepad on my 2ds with a normal, tall thumbstick like on xbox etc.

Does anyone know if the solder points are the same, or if it is virtually impossible, before i open the unit?

Thanks all.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi there, I would like to replace the circlepad on my 2ds with a normal, tall thumbstick like on xbox etc.

Does anyone know if the solder points are the same, or if it is virtually impossible, before i open the unit?

Thanks all.
there is no way you can do it without ending with a doctor's Frankenstein monster, the 2DS have no thickness enough for house the thumb stick.

1687549482641.png

0.59 inch = 14.98 mm
1687549645963.png

So only if under the circlepad was no electronics you may be put the thumstick inside the case, but as the original circle pad is only 7 mm thick you new thumb stick will protude 15 mm of the case, will be no base to hold it and the torque of the use will ripp off the thumbstick at first use.

Reactions: Hayato213

sh4rdik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm, a joycon replacement thumbstick looks much thinner internally but does not have solder-able connection points.
anyone know if there exists a traditional thumb stick with internally low profile mechanisms?

Reactions: impeeza

That1LoserGuy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the potentometer is WAY too thick to fit in a 2ds with the circuit board in the way. I mean, i guess the the potentometer could stick out, but that would look weird, and probably be bad for it.

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IIRC a company is making Hall-Effect replacement sticks in three form factors: regular ALPS-type as above, joycon, but also full size sticks with a much thinner profile. Currently the device needs to be built to understand the signal, or have a board that does some conversion (e.g. the boards on the Steam Deck modules), but there is a hardware hacker working on this.

sh4rdik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what about a ps vita replacement stick? the connectors seem similar.
i wonder if it could possibly "just work".

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
why. imagine playing 3ds games with a real joystick on original hardware. also, its a 2ds so it wont ever close and need to have a flat stick. big, honking gamer joystick on a 2ds, just gotta do it correct
If that's the experience you want, it would probably be a simpler/cleaner proposition to run wires from all the relevant points and connect them up to an external wired controller or controller port.

sh4rdik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then use a bluetooth controller.
is there support?
Post automatically merged:

If that's the experience you want, it would probably be a simpler/cleaner proposition to run wires from all the relevant points and connect them up to an external wired controller or controller port.
that's interesting but also defeats the purpose of being a handheld

coldercake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there support?

that's interesting but also defeats the purpose of being a handheld
you can also stream your 3ds screen to a pc or tv and connect a bluetooth controller to it, and whenever you wanna go, just disconnect it and use it as a handheld. You can also use your ds itself as a controller while streaming to pc or tv

sh4rdik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can also stream your 3ds screen to a pc or tv and connect a bluetooth controller to it, and whenever you wanna go, just disconnect it and use it as a handheld. You can also use your ds itself as a controller while streaming to pc or tv
i was under the impression that this required a physical cable modded to the board

You can set up CFW and then use input redirection so you can use a bluetooth controller.
ok i haven't decided to software mod at this time.

...which is wrong headed maybe
i want to hardware mod only without brick

hmm or like maybe you know those old gameboy cases that transform the directional pad into a bad joystick? maybe there could be an overlay 3d printed which translates the movements to from 3d to 2d

Last edited by sh4rdik,

sh4rdik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like this:
(understanding that the mechanism would have to function entirely differently, but could conceivably be cheaply 3d printed)

nintendo_gameboy_advance_with__1610985844_2bd06de6_progressive.jpg

also, there appear to be completed projects which are functional for GBA, linked here:

^
(this one might be a fake)

Mr_Start

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
like this:
(understanding that the mechanism would have to function entirely differently, but could conceivably be cheaply 3d printed)

View attachment 382087

also, there appear to be completed projects which are functional for GBA, linked here:

^
(this one might be a fake)

that's an gba, not and 3ds, totally different story

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do it for science! IFixit doesn't rate the 2DS as being difficult to disassemble: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+2DS+Joystick+Replacement/35846
Once you've pulled out the original circle pad, you can use a digital multimeter to see how the resistance between the pairs of pins varies/doesn't vary as you move the stick.
I found a forum post from people building / customising emulation handhelds that said the Circle Pad has only about half the output range of standard sticks, so you might find your 2DS maxes out too easily.
https://tech.alpsalpine.com/e/products/faq/multi/thumbpointer.html shows Alps' three forms of analog stick.

Reactions: sh4rdik

sh4rdik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok Here's a question:
Can I control the primary stick input through the port the circle pad pro connects thru? thanks.

• Wow

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So a man, wifey laying in bed, and man wants sum and rubs on her a little, she turns and says "Not tonight, I have a gyno apt in the morning." So man rolls over, but after few minutes starts rubbing her again. She says didn't you here me, no messing around, I have a gyno apt tomorrow. " Man says, "Well you don't have a dentist apt tomorrow also do you?"
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn I have 8 modded rgh3 x360 slims I've done, I need to get rid of, I figured my family members or friends would want but times have changed. Think I'm gonna stop buying them and modding. Time to Switch it up (pun intended)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yay power outages
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, I'm your friend
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There literally no storms in your area, does it go out alot? You need to just send me your slim n ill rgh3 it free.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or grow sum balls and do it yourself, not hard. More of a pain to jailbreak a ps4 than it is the 360, other than little soldering.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Problem is my dick gets in the way
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea true, would be a pain having that on your forehead
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The chicks love it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every damn time there's a loud noise dudes car alarm goes off freaking annoying
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Stun gun the metal of the car (door, bumper, etc), you won't hear it again, promise.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    damn accidentally ripped my car cover just now
    happens
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or plant drugs get him evicted
    the one on my other car is all ripped up
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not your $400 car cover :ohnoes:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There you go, thinking with your "dickhead"
    some day the wind will blow so hard it'll rip in half
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think in big inches
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @realtimesave Can you sew it back together? Or is it not worth trying.
    nah sewing it will make it come apart more :)
    that one is pretty old
    the one on my mercedes is a couple years old. these things don't last very long at all
    +1
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: the one on my mercedes is a couple years old. these things don't last very long at all +1