Hacking How can anyone be okay with Gateway's behavior?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
im ok with what gateway did about the brick bit. but im not ok with the customers 3ds getting bricked. I mean you had people working long hours to ensure that the firmware was working flawlessly wouldn't you want some kind of protections so someone cant come in and steal it change a couple things and sell it to make a profit without even really putting forth the effort to create their own firmware. but the problem is everyone is mad at gateway for having that protection in their launcher.dat file. but they should be mad at the clone card makers for stealing the firmware from gateway claiming for their own. that goes to show who people should and shouldn't trust. so people that are using clone cards that stole work from gateway to make a profit they are the ones that the people with bricked 3ds should be going after not gateway.

Exactly...I don't agree with permanent bricks but a standard brick I wouldn't care, how was gateway meant to know they where stealing their code.....r4 said all future updates came directly from their own team....surely this means they created the bricking code aswell as gateway...except gateway stopped the bricks r4i didn't

Unless of course.........did r4 lie to their users :O

Reactions: crazyace2011

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Homebrew has existed since the beginning of home computing in the 70's. Backup & cheat devices existed in the 80's, there was the Wild Card for the Apple ][, the Happy Card on the Atari 8bit, and the Power Cartridge on the C64. Since the 80's you also had dialup BBS based forums, the discussions were not too different from those you read here today. In the 90's Datel made hardware based cheat devices for just about every popular game console, some of these could be used for the creation of homebrew. There was also the Doctor V64 which made backups of N64 game cartridges and provided a platform for homebrew development.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrew_Computer_Club
Only difference now is that with social media, the R4 got extremely popular.
Thus also attracting people who are better off not knowing about piracy.

Some will just do whatever their being told without researching a little.
Which ends up in bricked devices, broken hardware etc.

D

Deleted User

Everything in this thread has already been said before in the last thread......and the thread before that....it gets to a point where you just have to make crap up to bear seeing all the same old analogies and OOOMGGGGGG posts !!!!!!!!

Alright, let me reword what I said.
"Can you post something that isn't utterly worthless and inane."

Now let's try and get back on topic:
What Gateway do is illegal, they profit selling an illegal device, someone makes custom firmware for the device, Gateway makes it so you get bricked for using it. How is that not being a giant scum bag.

Reactions: gamefan5
D

Deleted User

Only difference now is that with social media, the R4 got extremely popular.
Thus also attracting people who are better off not knowing about piracy.

Some will just do whatever their being told without researching a little.
Which ends up in bricked devices, broken hardware etc.

Now that the word is out, seems like Gateway got the message across?

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree to a point about trading them to a shot but my thing is for example gamestop will give you $14 for Zelda skyward sword and sell it for $49.99 used gamestop makes it to where I don't want to buy games. yeah they have to pay bills and employees but get real they are ripping people off left and right with their stupid trade in values why would anyone want to deal with them.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[Insert rant about unconstitutional and/or unethical behavior rant about gateway here.]

Guess ill throw my opinion in this bonfire of Gateway hate while it's still burning hot and bright. First let me say I no way condone what Gateway did. As a matter of fact i think its fucked up, but at the same time, so much information is floating about that its hard to make an opinion. Im all for bricking clone cards or making games load incorrectly on clones, but bricking systems is way overkill.

In a week's time this will blow over and threads will go back to being flooded with "when will 2.0 come out" threads. When people find out something horrifying, they get up in arms about it but don't take action and let it blow over. Xbox One problems, Youtube comments section, Pokebank, blah blah blah. Its all white noise at this point. At the end of the day, whoever owns/will own/thinking about owning Gateway is still going to use it, frown on their faces be damned. Everyone else simply wont. Here's a couple things that make no sense though.

1. People going on about how "Everyone didn't know there were gateway clones so they were unaware of the risk" must be smoking something. Only about 1/3 of people who own clones of anything are ignorant of what they are buying (even though it was obvious what they were buying was a clone. I mean come on they didn't even take out the Gateway banner and "GW3D" in the system version.) . The other 2/3 damn sure know what they bought because it was one word "Cheaper". People always look to spend as little as possible for what they think they can get the most out of. It just turns out that in this situation, it unfortunately screws everyone over.
  2. Everyone is solely placing the blame on Gateway when the manufacturers of the clones themselves are also to blame. Are you telling me a group of people (r4i) couldnt find what Normatt found in half the time? Gateway is to blame for sure but they aren't the only ones.
  3. There is no code of ethics among pirates, thieves and cheap Chinese factory workers. You should all know this by now.

tomiga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terry's Wonderland 3D comes to mind immediately. I just wish I understood Japanese. :cry:
Heh, I only barely understand enough to be able to play Animal Crossing in Japanese. Even then, all the Katakana still looks the same to me.

I'm really glad this happened. Gateway will be selling more carts now that they are the only trustworthy people in the scene, which then translates to funding to work on compatibility and new features.
Bricking consoles does not lead to building trust.

Kayday

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Everybody is to blame. If you bought a Gateway, you supported their action of implementing the brick code to protect their work. If you bought a Clone, you support their action of stealing Gateway's code and not testing to make sure all was ok before releasing to the public. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Alright, let me reword what I said.
"Can you post something that isn't utterly worthless and inane."

Now let's try and get back on topic:
What Gateway do is illegal, they profit selling an illegal device, someone makes custom firmware for the device, Gateway makes it so you get bricked for using it. How is that not being a giant scum bag.

How is repeating the same old stuff over and over productive
illegal.....yeah heard it a hundred times
bricking....yeah if people are doing something illegal already, you received a warning with your 3ds about this kind of stuff. So you where warned

and gateway is coded in a way that doesn't brick you unless you specifically remove the protection routine that they programmed....hardly their fault.

I hope you learnt something

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everybody is to blame. If you bought a Gateway, you supported their action of implementing the brick code to protect their work. If you bought a Clone, you support their action of stealing Gateway's code and not testing to make sure all was ok before releasing to the public. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

the people that chose the gateway make the right choice by chosing a team that knew what they were doing and not a group that steals to line their pockets.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*ramble ramble*

The only thing you should read is what I post. :angry:

...I'll just pretend I never said anything now...

But seriously, there really is no code of honor amongst pirates, and I agree with you completely. It's just hilarious how people are dragging ethics into this argument in a way to justify the actions of the Gateway team.

postcert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bricking consoles does not lead to building trust.

What do you mean? They put multiple checks to ensure legitimate users would not get bricked.
I trust that their cart will not damage my system in any way. Sure a clone cart user would never trust them, but they also supported the theft of Gateway's IP.

tomiga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean? They put multiple checks to ensure legitimate users would not get bricked.
I trust that their cart will not damage my system in any way. Sure a clone cart user would never trust them, but they also supported the theft of Gateway's IP.

Well, to me, if I had a clone cart/didn't have any cart yet, and just heard of all this bricking coming from Gateway, I wouldn't think "Oh wow, what a trustworthy team, I'm gonna buy a flashcart from them". I would think "Hahah, nope nope nope nope." Just the thought of having code implemented in their hack that can brick a console, whether it's used or not, terrifies the hell out of me. That's why I'm not using Gateway right now. I have an official cart, I have the official launcher, but I'm not going to use it because I don't like that code being there.

That's not trust. That's the opposite.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
this is nothing new. akaio blocks ak2i-based clones from booting its kernel. dstt included a clone bricker in their kernel. the difference there was that it didn't harm the handhelds. i do not have any issue with gateway blocking or bricking clone cards. what i have issue with is when the result of their actions are unrecoverable. if they are intentionally permanently damaging hardware (both flash kits and handhelds) then they should stop receiving our support. their back peddling and comments that say "we told you so" are just another slap in our collective faces. they clearly had this intention from the very start. i understand that crown 3ds --- err gateway, wants to protect their hard work. but doing so at the cost of innocent gamers is uncalled for. if i was head of mag staff i would have posted a very different front page post than what is up there now. the warning would have been 1 line and the rest of the article would have been an attack on gateway for this behavior.

this is simply not acceptable. gbatemp should stop promoting their products.

-another world

tomiga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is nothing new. akaio blocks ak2i-based clones from booting its kernel. dstt included a clone bricker in their kernel. the difference there was that it didn't harm the handhelds. i do not have any issue with gateway blocking or bricking clone cards. what i have issue with is when the result of their actions are unrecoverable. if they are intentionally permanently damaging hardware (both flash kits and handhelds) then they should stop receiving our support. their back peddling and comments that say "we told you so" are just another slap in our collective faces. they clearly had this intention from the very start. i understand that crown 3ds --- err gateway, wants to protect their hard work. but doing so at the cost of innocent gamers is uncalled for. if i was head of mag staff i would have posted a very different front page post than what is up there now. the warning would have been 1 line and the rest of the article would have been an attack on gateway for this behavior.

-another world
Completely agree. It's time to move beyond Gateway & clones.

D

Deleted User

How is repeating the same old stuff over and over productive.....illegal.....yeah heard it a hundred times......bricking....yeah if people are doing something illegal already, you received a warning with your 3ds about this kind of stuff.....you where warned...and gateway is coded in a way that doesn't brick you unless you specifically remove the protection routine that they programmed....hardly their fault, I hope you learnt something

Hope I learned something? If I buy an illegal device that has firmware, I would expect I'd be able to tinker around with it (Point in case the region free firmware). Now, what if I'm just some guy in a basement who changes the firmware but doesn't plan to publicly release it? I'll have my console bricked, now for a device that is basically about freedom (running any types of roms to my own accord), why shouldn't I be able to change the firmware to suit my own needs? It's basically Gateway having a huge stick up their ass.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm just finding it all funny at this point. Slightly boring but then someone comes up with an even more absurd and extreme analogy that makes it all worth it XD

Ps if you don't understand the code....you shouldn't be tinkering with it in a basement it's just creepy

Go look in the python tools thread there's code there to tinker with

Kayday

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

-another world

It should go both ways. Stop promoting the Clones as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It is nice and loud and thunder and lightning stormy outside, love it
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Can't wait for the inevitable power outage where it's initially funny because I have half of my apartment on UPSes, then I realize I have literal minutes to start shutting down all of my servers.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You must be north of me, Im in Ohio.. It been storming on off all day here, coming from the north
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    just barely maybe, more so just dead east.
    I'm in NJ
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is weird looking at the radar, it is making a circle
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    @BigOnYa well, starting with, idk which emulator should i use for switch, i got a gtx 1650, do you know which one would it better for my pc?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The switch emulators on pc rely on your CPU mostly, and they only use a single core, so GPU not as important as a good CPU. I don't use switch emulator, but many here do, and willing to help.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 do you want to chime in, don't you use yuzu or ryujinx? Which do you prefer?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Morganna I'd say try them both, and see which work better for your setup, good luck, and have fun!
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    i tried just yuzu so far, not even played, just open the game to see if it run
    +1
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    By the way, is there any website you recommend to search for some roms?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No you are not allowed to discuss them here, against the rules of the site. Sorry. But you can Google Nintendo NSP and there will be a few listed.
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    @BigOnYa that was actually very helpful, thank you very much
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Game on!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Actually looking forward to that new m&ms song Friday
  • DTApple @ DTApple:
    Water is the Wii Startup Disc of the soul.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I won't listen till they bring back the purple ones
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    For every Nintendo question that gets asked I'll post a Taylor swift song in return
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Whatever happened to D12?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Split after their friends death but still friends
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    still waiting on my salsa lmao
    em you lied to us
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remb that song, i just never knew that was what he was talking bout.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    the backwards d looks so weird
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    like :D or D: is nowhere near as odd as ꓷ:
    a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool: like :D or D: is nowhere near as odd as ꓷ: