"Hostname not found"

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Guild McCommunist, Sep 2, 2010.

Sep 2, 2010

"Hostname not found" by Guild McCommunist at 1:49 PM (1,656 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    So I was using uTorrent 2.0.3 and I updated it. Once I started using 2.0.4 it said that "Hostname not found" for any torrent I download. I've tried multiple sites (which I will not name) that are up and running with torrents.

I read this on the uTorrent forums and tried as was suggested at the bottom. I re-enabled the Firewall (mine was off), uninstalled uTorrent, reinstalled it, made sure the Firewall was allowing uTorrent, and tried again. Still no dice. I checked to make sure it was being allowed correctly and it says it is, but it simply won't connect. Even tried the "Check for Updates" thing on uTorrent and it won't even connect to that.

Any help?

2. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    This didnt effect me any I'm still on uTorrent 1.8.4.

3. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    I don't use any private trackers so that's not the issue.

4. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    It could be a DNS problem. Are you having difficulties browsing to any sites?

You could also try deleting your settings.dat file for Utorrent. It should be located in "C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent". That's the path for it in Windows 7. Replace 'User Name' with the user account name, also you may have to enable hidden files.

What firewall are you using? If you're not using the Windows one, make sure it's off and not interfering.

5. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    I'm browsing sites and the like at regular speed, there's no problem there.

I'm using Windows XP by the way and I don't have any Application Data for uTorrent apparently.

I'm using the standard Windows XP firewall. I've tried with it on and having uTorrent as an exception and off.

6. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    For XP it's “C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\uTorrent”.

Or another shortcut to it is start menu -> run and paste in %appData%\uTorrent

7. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    I checked the wrong place before but I was able to find and delete the settings.dat, but I'm still getting the "Hostname not found" and same problems.

EDIT: Okay, it randomly started functioning fine again, that's odd. I am uninstalling an old anti-virus that I don't use any more so maybe that was blocking it.

Well, thanks for everyone's help though, much appreciated.