Homebrew possible only with a chip?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Shebang, Apr 24, 2009.

Apr 24, 2009
  1. Shebang
    OP

Member Shebang GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    I am a WII noob: My LEH21... just arrived the other day. Along with a Wasabi DX (wow, they are small!!).

I'd like to play Wiiware games but I have the bad feeling that I need to go through that Zelda-crack-thing-something before I get it. Is there any way around so I can just use the Wasabi to control things?

Thanks for your input

shebang

2. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    just burn a copy of zelda.
    if you own it.
    no piracy happening here.

3. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    yeah, but what if you have 4.0............even with mod, can you still do it.?? I have a drivekey, sitting on my shelf, had to send my softmodded wii in because of fried gpu........they are sending another one (its in transit) Im sure its going to have 4.0 on it. sorry I had the same question except I wanted to specify 4.0 firmware.

4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    1. You don't need a modchip for homebrew, so the answer to the question in title is: no.
    2. If your Wii is at 4.0 and it didn't have anything homebrew related on it before the update, then the chance to get ANY homebrew running on it is 0. Maybe this changes in the future(bannerbomb). And modchips don't help, because on 4.0 the only burned discs that are accepted are 100% 1:1 copies of retail games.

5. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I dont believe it, so you are telling me all my games from homebrew before I sent my system in to nintendo are no good now. that sucks........so whats the point of a modchip if you have to have a 1:1 copy, because then you need a dvd rom that reads the discs, and are getting hard to find, then you would have to get the game, what a waste of time, guess I'll just throw this chip in the trash then .....they should make the things work like homebrew... to bad I had to send it off! thanks, I was going to waste my time installing the thing

6. Shebang
    OP

Member Shebang GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    my wii came with 4.0 so no homebrew for shebang? [​IMG] fck

shebang

edit:
    I thought you can install HBC only with an original?

shebang

7. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    ???
    What do you think is a 1:1 copy? On 4.0 you can play backups with a modchip, but all discs that are altered in any way(brickblock, region patches, trucha signed in general) won't work.

8. Krayce

Newcomer Krayce Member

United States
    So there's no way to add homebrew at all? What about the .iso file that is provided at the Homebrew Official page?

9. raptir

Member raptir GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you were on 3.2 that might work. But if you're on 4.0 there's no way to install the HBC, even with a chip.

10. ADi7

Banned ADi7 Banned

Japan
    Not until bannerbomb or that New Super Mario Bros. Hack is on PAL!

BTW, Is your wii PAL??