Homebrew Idea...

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Shah Isah, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Shah Isah
    OP

Shah Isah GBAtemp Regular

Sep 7, 2016
    Guy, I have an idea for useful homebrew.

So, you're playing games but you want to listen to your own music in game, can someone please develop something that achieves this? Kind of like this (Skip to 4:11 for the demonstration).

If this makes it way to the 3ds, it would be so cool!

2. cheuble

cheuble Marieismâ„¢

Feb 6, 2016
    France
    Somewhere
  3. Shah Isah
    OP

Shah Isah GBAtemp Regular

Sep 7, 2016
    Didn't see it. Thanks for letting me know!

4. Roomsaver

Roomsaver GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    This isn't possible, anyway, AFAIK. You can only have 2 processes running at one time (and one of them is nearly always the home menu). Just play some music off of your PC/Phone.

5. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Don't forget the DSi.

6. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    Off the top of my head, it won't happen. It would have to be a process that runs on a separate thread, meaning only a N3DS would have the horsepower to do it, like NTR video streaming. Unlike NTR video, it wouldn't be as simple, as NTR is just broadcasting the video buffer to a debug application. An MP3 player would require more horsepower than available to an NTR plugin, as it would need to buffer audio packets constantly while sharing performance and other common bottlenecks with a game. That's before mentioning MP3's are not an open source codec, meaning libraries for them aren't free or distributable.

7. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N I have graced this thread with my presence.

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Hell
    Closest thing I can think of to achieving this would be to dump your game, unpack the RomFS, replace all the music with your music, and use HANS or LayeredFS to run the patch.

And, given the messages posted above, only two processes are allowed to run at the same time, and both are taken up (home menu + game), so, it's unlikely a plugin would be able to achieve this, at least, on the O3DS.