Homebrew Homebrew Development

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no way of actually denying that all the devs working on homebrew are basically coping gateway....yes even smealum decompiled the gateway code to see how it all works, granted now he has the knowledge he will be able to build on it.........but the simple fact is, a company even if it is 5 people will have access to much better resources than a hacker doing it in his spare time and at his own cost, even if gateway dont own the million dollar equipment they have the money to just get a 3ds decapped at the drop of a hat......which is something the homebrew scene tried to have a fundraiser for and the douche ran away with the money
.....surely you can see that having someone with a real incentive to keep going is better than people going "yayyyy i will get love and admiration for just coping but making it free" have hackers ever released a new version of photoshop to improve on it after cracking a version? no that falls down to the original creator......the hacker wouldn't have the resources to make a new and improved photoshop just cracking the security

all in all if there is nobody making money in the scene nobody will shell out on the expensive stuff required to further the scene along
I do not doubt they can do it, but how much money has gateway really made? The only way they'll have a chance at making a lot more is if they get it working on the newest firmwares.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I do not doubt they can do it, but how much money has gateway really made? The only way they'll have a chance at making a lot more is if they get it working on the newest firmwares.
I don't want to get into the whole gateway thing in the homebrew thread again, but it's surely better to have people with money behind them looking into things, I'm sure they have made a nice bit of money from their card, it would stand to reason they would be looking to expand the compatibility to higher firmwares.......will they do it? Who knows but I'm sure they wouldn't mind dropping a bit of money to look into it further

mocalacace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I've taken CalebW's Breakout3DS and made it much less laggy. It was originally updating and writing every block location, to the screen, during the main loop. I have changed this so it will only update the brickset when you break a brick. It lags a little when you break a brick, but it is much better than before. I intend to make it only update the block that is hit, but I need to look at the code a little more to do this. Until then here is an updated launcher.dat and main.c if you want to run it or take a look at it.

edit1: I was able to make it only update the last hit block. The game is running very smooth, perhaps even too fast. You may want to decrease the ball velocity to make it more playable. The only problem I have ran into is when you hit blocks backtoback it sometimes wont update the frame in time and there will be a ghost brick. (that will disappear if your ball moves over it).
As always, I may have broke some parts of the game I did not intend to.

Enjoy :D
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/men815yxgfwpa8h/AAArohz41jO_ybdol23DDLqva

edit2: I also have a question about running homebrew as I am still fairly new to the 3DS scene

I can compile the ARM11 code with CTRUlib, but I'm given a homebrew.elf/homebrew.3ds, there is no way to load these with the current ROPloader and I need Gateway?

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can compile the ARM11 code with CTRUlib, but I'm given a homebrew.elf/homebrew.3ds, there is no way to load these with the current ROPloader and I need Gateway?

Yep. That's the problem, to support that format, you have to support the companies that make the rom loading carts (actually ONLY gateway at this point can load them even...)

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Assuming you write your own thread handler, I can't see it not being possible. I haven't looked into the ARM9 CPU though so I have no idea if it natively supports it. It can't hurt to try though, just don't expect it to be as fast as the ARM11, or as capable. The best case would probably be to get both going at the same time, both the ARM9 and ARM11, running together. I imagine one could offload stuff like sound processing to the ARM9 for a PS1 emulator or N64 emulator, thus making them a bit more feasible. Anyway, it would be neat to see someone attempt it, but we'll probably need better GPU control first, or any rendering would eat the CPU(s) too much to be feasible for anything 3D related.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've managed to port over 2048. The pause function doesn't work yet and the score doesn't display properly. To start a new game press Start or lose.

https://github.com/iamn1ck/3048

You're using draw_string for oldgamescore and gamescore at the same position.

Here is a pause function I whipped up quick if you want to use it.
Code:
void pause() {

while (!(button_press & BUTTON_START)){	} // prevent returning right away

//draw pause message

while ((button_press & BUTTON_START)){	} // loop until start is pressed

}

Reactions: Coto

mocalacace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're using draw_string for oldgamescore and gamescore at the same position.

Here is a pause function I whipped up quick if you want to use it.
Code:
void pause() {

while (!(button_press & BUTTON_START)){ } // prevent returning right away

//draw pause message

while ((button_press & BUTTON_START)){ } // loop until start is pressed

}

I tried to draw_rect over the area where I was displaying the score in order to update it too, but that didn't work either. The only way the score isn't a bunch rewritten pixels is when you start a new game. And thanks for the pause loop, I'll try to fix that today.

The score now updates correctly, I had to write a bigger rectangle over the score. Also I'm very interested in running emulators on the 3DS, any chance we can get the source for GB and NES emulators? Do these only run in ARM11?

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most emulators are open source. The only reason I can think of to port a NES emulator is to add 3D to it. nesDS is a great emulator that doesn't really need a vanilla port. I haven't tried GameYob so I can't say what benefit a 3DS port would have besides 3D.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most emulators are open source. The only reason I can think of to port a NES emulator is to add 3D to it. nesDS is a great emulator that doesn't really need a vanilla port. I haven't tried GameYob so I can't say what benefit a 3DS port would have besides 3D.

For starters, not having to have the ds rom cart wedged in your system whenever you wanna play it? Particularly if it's released in Launcher.dat format, or if someone finds a way to load .3ds homebrew from the SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay