Homebrew Homebrew Development

bartimeaus91

Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not DRM (well at least not added), its the limitations of the exploit, not some secret plan to upset you

Yes. I know. I just co-opted the word "DRM" as it makes it captures the quintessence of what you can't do with SSSPwn. Probably should have been more clear about that. My bad.

Also, let's face it. Majority of the people asking about exploits on >4.5 are interested in playing 'rom backups of their legitimate games'. In my opinion, my answer is more thorough as it covers both possible aspects of the question i.e. there's an exploit which supposedly works up till 7.2 and no, you can't play roms or emunand it.

Bond697

Dies, died, will die.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, i'm working on my custom firmware(finally i have all payload of GW and the code).

My problem is because i'm very busy(two week busy to be exact), but i will try finish it :P, if it work, i will help with new homebrew(a new version of 3DNES ? :]).

all payloads meaning.. what exactly? the 3 in the launcher? and the code to parse the mips vm?

bartimeaus91

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all payloads meaning.. what exactly? the 3 in the launcher?

I think what he meant was that he has the decrypted GW launcher which allows him to replicate everything and improve on.

Now, if this custom firmware of his is ever released, it will lead to the golden age in 3DS hacking. First of foremost, piracy issues be dammed. With 4.x as a requirement for CFW, piracy wouldn't become more rampant. 4.x piracy has already saturated with almost everyone owning a Gateway/MT. So piracy concerns are no longer an issue. Seriously, shut it about the piracy concerns. At this point anyone who cites piracy as the reason is just beating a dead horse.

Next on the agenda, the benefits of having a public and open CFW. Aspiring 3DS hackers can then analyze the CFW and build up upon it. Since 4.X CFW would have low level access (kernel) to the 3DS, people can work on things like unlimited video playback, background changing, screenshot capability. So yes, this CFW will diversify the hacking process and everyone will be working together at different aspects of 3DS hacking. The release of this CFW will cause a snowballing of activity in the 3DS scene.

Now we're all aware that private CFW is a common occurrence, so why on earth is the 3DS scene not bristling with activity? Its because people don't share because they keep on quoting the same piracy issues (well, and probably people there are shit loads of people demanding and demanding and that could be infuriating). But this doesn't change the fact that everyone whom is interested in hacking the 3DS will have to build a CFW from the ground up before doing additional stuff. So yes. A public CFW will most certainly improve the 3DS scene by leaps and bounds.

The last part is, who would be the people that would not want a CFW to be released? Gateway most definitely. A CFW with the possibility of a rom loader will make GW obsolete. This means money stops flowing in to GW and which is why they have the most reason to try to stop CFW from ever being released. Secondly, some devs have been outspoken against the release of a CFW, with the piracy issues being invalid, there is little reason left as to why they would want to prohibit a CFW release. In any case, money is a strong motivating factor to prevent such CFW from being released and I'm sure they would stoop to threatening people to get their demands met.

So stark, keep up the good work! Do not be intimidated by anyone. Your on the brink of starting something amazing on the 3ds scene.

st4rk

nah
Trophies
Website
st4rk.net
XP
Country
Brazil
i also have "in my mind" all the questions you sent me via pm(that i answered for you in full) because you couldn't even handle the rop chains on the gateway because you have no idea what you're doing. you have what you have because it was either given to you by someone else or done by someone else. i hope no one is holding their breath on this.

Knowledge is freedom, what the problem ? all time i'm reading about the exploit, ROP, arm, crypting, i have friend help me with it.

I know i sent pm to you, but when i finished my "3DNES", you told it's a trash. I made this trash because all homebrew is limited ;)

I'm working on my CFW to remove this "limitation" and work on new homebrews, you have problem with it ? i hope no.

Jean Karlo

Hacker Aspirant!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aren't we all forgetting what happened when someone messed with gateway code?? *cough* bricks *cough*...

Homebrew is limited because the lib is not even close to completed. Having a cfw is not gonna help much other than a few more privileges.

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aren't we all forgetting what happened when someone messed with gateway code?? *cough* bricks *cough*...

Homebrew is limited because the lib is not even close to completed. Having a cfw is not gonna help much other than a few more privileges.

Hypothetically, if st4rk succeeds, these "extra privileges" would kill the flash card market. :P

As for what happens when you mess with GW code, he is working on 1.0, which does not have it.

bartimeaus91

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
st4rk, to quote the infamous GW "the proof is in the pudding". Keep on working on your CFW. Do not let the people dissing you win out. Do not give up.

I've seen some devs giving up and leaving gbatemp all because some members said some harsh words regardless of the accuracy of their statements.

D

Deleted User

If a free rom loader appears good luck being stuck on loading ONLY apps/roms before 7.x ... I hope you don't succeed because you'll have killed the entire 3DS scene.

To those who still don't get it: Not even yellows8 / neimomd / normmatt / mathieulh / ... insert any 3ds hacker here .. can decrypt 7.2 mset or eshop because they don't have the pre-scrambled aes key. And they have no solution on how to get it other than using million dollar equipment (which no homebrew hacker has or will use).

This is why Gateway, which does have the million dollar equipment, can succeed where homebrew will not.

bartimeaus91

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a free rom loader appears good luck being stuck on loading ONLY apps/roms before 7.x ... I hope you don't succeed because you'll have killed the entire 3DS scene.

To those who still don't get it: Not even yellows8 / neimomd / normmatt / mathieulh / ... insert any 3ds hacker here .. can decrypt 7.2 mset or eshop because they don't have the pre-scrambled aes key. And they have no solution on how to get it other than using million dollar equipment (which no homebrew hacker has or will use).

This is why Gateway, which does have the million dollar equipment, can succeed where homebrew will not.

Buahaha. Good one pal. Haven't heard such a joke in a while.

Oh wait. You're serious? GW is not a international conglomerate. It is a small team (if its not just one hacker working). They do not have cutting edge decryption hardware. Unless you're saying the NSA is behind GW in which would explain why the updates take a while.

P.S. You left out smealum on your list of prominent hackers.

Reactions: Idaho

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
no way of actually denying that all the devs working on homebrew are basically coping gateway....yes even smealum decompiled the gateway code to see how it all works, granted now he has the knowledge he will be able to build on it.........but the simple fact is, a company even if it is 5 people will have access to much better resources than a hacker doing it in his spare time and at his own cost, even if gateway dont own the million dollar equipment they have the money to just get a 3ds decapped at the drop of a hat......which is something the homebrew scene tried to have a fundraiser for and the douche ran away with the money
.....surely you can see that having someone with a real incentive to keep going is better than people going "yayyyy i will get love and admiration for just coping but making it free" have hackers ever released a new version of photoshop to improve on it after cracking a version? no that falls down to the original creator......the hacker wouldn't have the resources to make a new and improved photoshop just cracking the security

all in all if there is nobody making money in the scene nobody will shell out on the expensive stuff required to further the scene along

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France

Those can actually be decrypted... on a 7.0+ 3DS system using undisclosed exploits (assuming anyone has some that allows running a payload in the ARM9 context)

Otherwise, no, you can't, not on an old 3DS, you could cheat trying to dump pre calculated (decrypted) per NCCH keys (on a 7.0+ system) for specific content but that'd require an update everytime new software is released, I am not even sure it's possible to read it before it is set to a keyslot and erased from memory (I haven't bothered trying this).

Obviously if anyone dumps the bootrom and wherever the keys are stored (possibly some OTP area) then it's game over for Nintendo but that'd require some serious skills and the right hardware to go with these.

bartimeaus91

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no way of actually denying that all the devs working on homebrew are basically coping gateway....yes even smealum decompiled the gateway code to see how it all works, granted now he has the knowledge he will be able to build on it.........but the simple fact is, a company even if it is 5 people will have access to much better resources than a hacker doing it in his spare time and at his own cost, even if gateway dont own the million dollar equipment they have the money to just get a 3ds decapped at the drop of a hat......which is something the homebrew scene tried to have a fundraiser for and the douche ran away with the money
.....surely you can see that having someone with a real incentive to keep going is better than people going "yayyyy i will get love and admiration for just coping but making it free" have hackers ever released a new version of photoshop to improve on it after cracking a version? no that falls down to the original creator......the hacker wouldn't have the resources to make a new and improved photoshop just cracking the security

all in all if there is nobody making money in the scene nobody will shell out on the expensive stuff required to further the scene along

Fair point. Though we're talking about open sourcing 3ds hacking should something be released. Gateway will remain closed sourced and all development will remain in house. There's no outsourcing of any hacking at all.

Those can actually be decrypted... on a 7.0+ 3DS system using undisclosed exploits (assuming anyone has some that allows running a payload in the ARM9 context)

In other words publically, there is no method of decrypting. IIRC, ssspwn does not allow arm9 code right? So that's a dead end there.

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
Fair point. Though we're talking about open sourcing 3ds hacking should something be released. Gateway will remain closed sourced and all development will remain in house. There's no outsourcing of any hacking at all.

In other words publically, there is no method of decrypting. IIRC, ssspwn does not allow arm9 code right? So that's a dead end there.

We don't know anything about ssspwn other than what smea said about it, until it's actually available to the masses, I rather look for my own exploit; besides it's more fun than trying to reproduce what is/might be out there.

Reactions: bartimeaus91

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

yeah but whats the point of taking the buisness out of the game before they have a chance to finish what they started......there is a right time to do that sort of stuff.....and its once they have gotten as far as they can get and people can carry the torch........a gateway FW to play roms right now would be standing at the same brick wall as gateway except they dont have money to throw at the problem, so many scene's in the past have been left in the crapper by someone trying to make a name for themselves and just releasing/leaking half baked solutions

as for the usefulness of ssspwn, having a "in" is very useful, could end up being part of a bigger exploit, just wait and see :)

D

Deleted User

Otherwise, no, you can't, not on an old 3DS, you could cheat trying to dump pre calculated (decrypted) per NCCH keys (on a 7.0+ system) for specific content but that'd require an update everytime new software is released, I am not even sure it's possible to read it before it is set to a keyslot and erased from memory (I haven't bothered trying this).

Obviously if anyone dumps the bootrom and wherever the keys are stored (possibly some OTP area) then it's game over for Nintendo but that'd require some serious skills and the right hardware to go with these.

Let's take this apart for a moment.

1. Exploit for 7.x: Nobody has a working exploit for 7.x in ARM9. Even if ssspwn works, it is limited to userland, meaning not ARM9. Not even gateway has updated their support for 7.x exploit, which would surely create a great deal more sales for them if they did, so we can conclude not even gateway has an exploit for 7.x.

2. Pre-calculated NCCH keys: The firmware sets 2 keys, X and Y. The Y is dependent on the app being launched, the X is set at firmware boot. You cannot dump X because even if said exploit for 7.x exists, it would not be exploitable at boot time. So no point in discussing this further.

3. Bootrom: Not something a homebrew person can dump as it is unreadable from within the system. But well in the possibilities of gateway by throwing enough money at it and using million dollar equipment.

So, with these 3 points analysed, do tell how at this point in time, some homebrew hacker will decrypt those 7.x mset and eshop CXI ?
Hint: they can't

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU