Homebrew Homebrew Development

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Smealum's ssspwn will probably outdo GWs homebrew, not least of all because of compatibility with higher firmwares, also no reliance on $80 flashcarts.

ernilos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BnYQFSCCIAE3MNz.jpg
SMDH file creation at 100% :D

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Smealum's ssspwn will probably outdo GWs homebrew, not least of all because of compatibility with higher firmwares, also no reliance on $80 flashcarts.
smealums homebrew will be pretty much the same stuff except you can run it on 6.x and probably 7.x
he has similar motivations to keep homebrew in usermode

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smealums homebrew will be pretty much the same stuff except you can run it on 6.x and probably 7.x
he has similar motivations to keep homebrew in usermode

Wish that wasn't the case as kernel access means the potential for a permanent region free solution for retail carts eventually.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
idk he may add stuff into the mix as he has kernel access which he could do stuff himself, its just once his patches are applied afaik he plans to keep homebrew running in user mode only....giving kernel access would just lead to a rom loader which he has already said he will not support

ernilos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
amazing! what about a 3d banner?
i forget, can banners have animation? and then the music? haha, but it is great already :)

I didn't take a look yet, and... Doing the image encoding it have taken like 2 days, for 3D banner's it will be something like hell... When I'll clean the code I'm gonna upload the script for create SMDH files
PS:

Sorry I needed.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I was trying to build a simple hello world but got an weird error:
File "build.py", line 33
run("cp a.out bin/homebrew.elf > /dev/null")
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
anyone know what's the problem?

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
idk he may add stuff into the mix as he has kernel access which he could do stuff himself, its just once his patches are applied afaik he plans to keep homebrew running in user mode only....giving kernel access would just lead to a rom loader which he has already said he will not support

He has kernel access on 4.1-4.5, same as anyone else has achieved so far. He's said his exploit for higher firmwares doesn't have the capacity to execute code at kernel level.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Why are you so sure? For me, it's pretty obvious that this is just the regular userland mode, the same environment for regular games. I mean, if an application like Pokebank can manipulate save files of different games, for sure you can still execute something like that from Gateway.
That would require taking the accessdesc signature from pokebank, and in order to do that we would need a properly signed dump of pokebank first. Gateway only runs games if they have a valid accessdesc signature.

D

Deleted User

Gateway only runs games if they have a valid accessdesc signature.

Just like all 3DS Games and Applications out there in the world? This looks like the most normal thing in the world to me.

I don't see why you are so negative about this.

EDIT: Also this prevents malicious homebrew that wipes your system nand and things like that. So Gateway is only looking out for its users

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Just like all 3DS Games and Applications out there in the world? This looks like the most normal thing in the world to me.

I don't see why you are so negative about this.

EDIT: Also this prevents malicious homebrew that wipes your system nand and things like that. So Gateway is only looking out for its users
They're only looking out for themselves, because allowing any permissions would allow functionality that would render the gateway obsolete, such as being able to install any title to the SD card, perhaps modify and create a permanent cfw, and so on.

The reason I am being negative is that it was expected that this update would help blow the system wide open although it has done the opposite since it's more limited than ROPloaders. Additionally, they have disabled every other signature check so it was kind of expected that anything would be possible, instead they have figured out how to make use of a built in function to enforce basic DRM and keep their hardware from becoming obsolete.

While that isn't surprising, I was not aware of the accessdesc requiring to be signed separately from everything else as no one had mentioned it, so I had no idea they would be able to do something like that.

I was hoping this would make it easier for devs to release more advanced system utilities and tools, like save editing and encryption, not things to make the gateway obsolete as I am quite satisfied with mine, but just some useful things for tinkerers and users alike. At the very least I would have liked if they manually enforced certain permission restrictions which would be more lenient than what we get now, without restricting access to every small part of the system.

I've been waiting for a way to be able to edit and sign save games for a long time and I was hoping this would make that easier to achieve. I am a guy who loves to tinker with things and do things he's not supposed to, i always root my Android devices, I always install softmods and buy flashcarts/modchips, and I often install windows system tweaks as well as customizing the hell out of any Linux install I have. So you can probably understand why I'm upset that the only use for homebrew on the 3ds now is games and emulators, and maybe a video player.

D

Deleted User

Sorry but what extra features do you expect even if this accessdesc was not checked?

The example you suggest, savegame encryption tools, would not be possible even with your own "invalid" accessdesc because that is how the 3DS OS works. What you are asking is a complete rewrite of the 3DS OS for the kind of homebrew that allows running custom ARM9 code, and that would take 2+ years.

So forgive me if I think that your idea of homebrew is just impractical. Most homebrew devs want to create games and applications that have the ability to rival official 3DS games.

And those ROPLoaders you mention do not have support for HID devices, WiFi, and many more devices because that code runs ONLY on ARM9. With ctrulib .3DS software (via GW) these devices (HID, WiFi, and so on) become available, so I would say this kind of homebrew is 100 times more powerful than the ROPLoader method.

Homebrew means that unlicensed devs can create games and applications for 3DS (WITH THE SAME RIGHTS AS OFFICIAL 3DS GAMES AND APPS), and that is what GW has achieved.

XENODRAGONZORD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
now......3ds..emulator & .homebrew era is coming......

can we port ppsspp psp emu, dolphin emu & ds emu from android to 3ds and run under 3ds emulator citra ?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I was able to repack FragDisk from the SDK tools to run with 3DSGuy's GW workaround. Not of much use though. Haven't had any success with the others, and I've tried pretty much every one.

I am still not sure why my own repack of PlayCoinSetter doesn't work though. It seems like when you modify accessdesc permissions, it will always give a "Game card was removed" error, however when you don't, it will either give a "An error has occurred, turn the power off" black screen or a "An error has occurred, forcing the software to close" error.
I am not sure what causes one or the other, but I am certain that some of the apps that have given the latter error have had insufficient permissions to run. However, some of these tools seem like they should run without any special permissions, and PlayCoinSetter has been proven to work already, so I'm not sure what I need to change.

Not that this knowledge would be of great use at the moment, but might come in handy in the future and it's fun to tinker with stuff :)

Sorry but what extra features do you expect even if this accessdesc was not checked?

The example you suggest, savegame encryption tools, would not be possible even with your own "invalid" accessdesc because that is how the 3DS OS works. What you are asking is a complete rewrite of the 3DS OS for the kind of homebrew that allows running custom ARM9 code, and that would take 2+ years.

So forgive me if I think that your idea of homebrew is just impractical. Most homebrew devs want to create games and applications that have the ability to rival official 3DS games.

And those ROPLoaders you mention do not have support for HID devices, WiFi, and many more devices because that code runs ONLY on ARM9. With ctrulib .3DS software (via GW) these devices (HID, WiFi, and so on) become available, so I would say this kind of homebrew is 100 times more powerful than the ROPLoader method.

Homebrew means that unlicensed devs can create games and applications for 3DS (WITH THE SAME RIGHTS AS OFFICIAL 3DS GAMES AND APPS), and that is what GW has achieved.
Except, you're wrong. People have already managed to edit their saves without rewriting the OS.
It requires being able to call the hardware keyscrambler of course, to generate the encryption key and such. That's why a homebrew on the 3DS itself is probably the only way we are going to be able to modify saves any time soon.

williamcesar2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kernel access means the potential for anything, right? ;)

this is the worst homebrew scene of all time ! No progress by a infantile fear.

however they are releasing files & supporting the gateway red card ! for me this is hypocrisy. We are talking about a card that earns a lot of money, aren't we ? All tirade against piracy fell apart now ?
They might say: '' we won't support gateway homebrew''. For obvious reason

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I like how these earbuds put on a light show like PAIR ME PAIR ME