Homebrew Development

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by aliak11, Jan 16, 2014.

1. VMM
    This message by VMM has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, May 12, 2014, Reason: Off topic/Pointless.
    May 12, 2014
  2. williamcesar2
    This message by williamcesar2 has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, May 12, 2014, Reason: Off topic/Pointless.
    May 12, 2014
  3. VMM
    This message by VMM has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, May 12, 2014, Reason: Off topic/Pointless.
    May 12, 2014
  4. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    Correct, as it seems 3DSGuy "left the scene".

5. Tikvah

Tikvah Newbie

Newcomer
    May 10, 2014
    Iceland
    תֵּל־אָבִיב
    Is it possible to convert homebrew Launcher.dat to .3ds for gateway?

6. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Pokemon Red sucks! Blue FTW!

7. T3GZdev

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States

interesting. :ph34r: using with gateway 2.2
    there any documentation?
    [​IMG]

8. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    I hope some of you guys still continue your work studying launcher.dat style homebrew loading.

9. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    For hacking, sure. For games and emulators, hell no.

10. tecra_a8

tecra_a8 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 10, 2009
    Indonesia
    can somone make a color profile app to calibrate 3ds's screen to fix some tint problem some user has?

11. Sylantemp

Sylantemp Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2012
    United States

The best documentation you'll get at this point will be playing around with the ctrulib examples, if you ask me. That's where I've found the most information so far, anyway.

12. williamcesar2

williamcesar2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 21, 2013
    United States
    New York City

-- -- --

13. Duo8

Duo8 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 16, 2013
    Vietnam
    We don't even know if color calibration is possible.
    ATM it's the most convenience way to load homebrews. You also get access to the OS.
    If sspwn get released GW homebrew will get BTFO.

14. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    I've attached a couple of files that I hope may be useful to developers out there.

image2cptk: I don't know if something like this is already available, but this will take a .png image and convert it to the .cptk file that CitRUS can build into a banner (.bnr) and icon (.icn) file that a 3ds toolchain can compile. See the Readme for details.

3DSTemplate: This is a reorganization of YoshiInAVoid's ctrulib example project. It can compile a .3ds file from source in one click (provided you have Devkitpro installed). Thanks to yoshi and all the great ctrulib developers -- I take no credit for this.

pic.

Attached Files:

15. KnightMario

KnightMario Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    So from the looks of it, a gateway is needed to run homebrew until ssspwn is released?

16. YoshiInAVoid

YoshiInAVoid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    Thanks, my original one is a bit messy with everything being in the root of the directory.

17. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    No, right now we can still run homebrew without a gateway, Gateway has just made it easier to actually write homebrew (That conveniently only works on their cart), so more people are going to be looking into that. Whether or not Gateway only homebrew happens or whether people keep working to try and write it without the need of a 3DS cart depends on the morals of the developers.

18. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    its not gateway that made it easier for people to code that would be the work smealum did, gateway has just enable the running of homebrew made using the tools smealum released, and now the morals of owning a gateway are akin to owning a DS flashcard, nothing stopping people just using it for homebrew

not to mention the efforts of others who made it possible 3dsguy released quite a few tools needed for packaging the code outputted into .3ds format for use on the gateway

19. williamcesar2

williamcesar2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 21, 2013
    United States
    New York City
    $80 just to run homebrew hahahaha

20. ernilos

ernilos GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2013
    United States
    CAT
    I just finished my port of old Snake3DS to ARM11, only I don't know how to get random numbers and food are always in same place, anyone have any idea? I thought with GetSystemTicketCount or something like that but now I'm not at home and I can't try...

21. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    nobody is forcing anyone to do anything, im just saying owning gareway is not a you own gateway and thus you can only be using it to pirate, smealum has already shown he has pretty much the same thing except it doesnt involve a flash card, feel free to wait for that to be released, but i wouldn't expect devs just to not make homebrew if they have the resources to do so, hombrew running on the system is a lot more usable than the launcher.dat compiled homebrew, and once smealum releases his work the homebrew will be compatible with that too(probably after converting back out of .3ds format)

22. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    don't you know that gateway also plays backups?

23. Bond697

Bond697 Dies, died, will die.

Jun 7, 2009
    United States
    CT
    stdlib has rand and srand in it. you can use svc 0x28 to get a random value to seed the generator with.