Homebrew Homebrew Development

cheuble

squid
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is your wav file stereo? It does not look like you are adjusting the sample size for stereo playback case. If this is not the case then I would be curious to know if the end of the song plays before it goes silent.
Indeed, my wav file is stereo. I'll try with a mono file and see if the song loops normally. Like I said, the song plays normally till the end, and then there is a blank about the lentgh of the song, so this may be my issue. Will try

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, my wav file is stereo. I'll try with a mono file and see if the song loops normally. Like I said, the song plays normally till the end, and then there is a blank about the lentgh of the song, so this may be my issue. Will try
I only saw the reference to 15 seconds for the blank sound. If the length of the blank sound is the same as the music length then it is the issue.

delete12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finished the Pica physics engine demo Updating and Rendering logic.

Now I need Citro3D help:

• How do you render something to the screen, instead of showing only a black background?
Code in question, that is affecting me from not rendering anything, is given below. I seriously think I may have done something incorrect, but I do not know what exactly is causing it.

https://github.com/tommai78101/Pica/blob/master/demo/source/demo.c#L145-L205

If anyone knows or anyone who is willing to take a look at it, I'll be grateful. Once fixed, I'll add you to the credits / contributors / honorable mentions list.

bogaboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an idea for a Homebrew app that I would like to make. But before I get too deep into this I figured I'd ask for some advice.

The app would basically just be a CIA that when run would sort all of your activity log titles from most to least played. My biggest question, is this even theoretically possible? I don't want to waste time trying to figure it out if it can't even be done. Thanks!

delete12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an idea for a Homebrew app that I would like to make. But before I get too deep into this I figured I'd ask for some advice.

The app would basically just be a CIA that when run would sort all of your activity log titles from most to least played. My biggest question, is this even theoretically possible? I don't want to waste time trying to figure it out if it can't even be done. Thanks!

No one is going to answer that for you. You'll have to do the research yourself to get the answer. That's all how we do things when we want to get theoretical answers.

bogaboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one is going to answer that for you. You'll have to do the research yourself to get the answer. That's all how we do things when we want to get theoretical answers.
Can you at least point me in the right direction of where to start? I completely understand your point that I need to be self sufficient, but what is this thread for if not asking questions?

delete12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you at least point me in the right direction of where to start? I completely understand your point that I need to be self sufficient, but what is this thread for if not asking questions?
Ah, so you're starting out? Your post gave me the impression you know homebrew development, and are asking about theoretical ideas seldomly few would bother proving to you it works.

Read up on how to set up your dev environment, then look into example codes provided with your environment setup.

bogaboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, so you're starting out? Your post gave me the impression you know homebrew development, and are asking about theoretical ideas seldomly few would bother proving to you it works.

Read up on how to set up your dev environment, then look into example codes provided with your environment setup.
Yeah, I have zero experience in Homebrew development. I'm running A9LH with Luna on my 3DS but haven't thought much about the development side of things. I have some basic coding experience but nothing in regards to 3DS homebrew.

I'll keep reading through guides and download some of the required tools and see what I can find out.

delete12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Is there an issue with the 3DS's GPU where if you have multiple texture units pointing to the same texture location, it'll cause render artifacting? I was doing a test to reduce the amount of VRAM I'd use for a palette-like texture format (abusing bumbmapping) that utilized GPU_L8 and GPU_A8 together (rather than GPU_LA8). I started out with 2 textures that contained the same data in different locations, and that worked fine, but now when I tried to have both point in the same location, the resulting render looks like it's having trouble rendering. Below are 2 screenshots, a video, and zipped 3dsx files of the two results. In all of these, the width/height/params of the textures are the same, with texture unit TEX0 using GPU_L8, and TEX1 using GPU_A8 so that I can manipulate them in the texture combiners.

The first screenshot is what it looks like when TEX0 and TEX1 are set to different locations with data that is exactly the same. It uses 256 bumpmap entries (64 per color section) in a kind of gradient order. The white corner is empty because that is the one entry that is specifically set to fail the Alpha Test, giving a total of 255 color entries and 1 transparent entry. That specific bumpmap entry is identified as having a normal of 0, making it always black no matter what the color is set in the LUT, so it was only natural to use it as the transparent entry.

The second screenshot is like the first, except that TEX0 and TEX1 are set to the same location. As you can see, it isn't rendering correctly, but there's enough there to make out what it's supposed to look like with the white, red, green, and blue sections. The thing is, the screenshot doesn't tell the whole story. As the cube rotates/zooms, the artifacting changes per frame, as will be demonstrated in the video (which is unfortunately of poor quality).

NxZSRIR.png
UbCuPwz.png

The link below contains 2 3dsx files. The first is what you see in the first screen shot, and the second the second screenshot. Run in the Homebrew Launcher, and exit with Start. Unfortunately, because this was initially a test using the 3D slider, folks trying this on a 2DS will be unable to see it rotate

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47706790/indexed_texture.zip

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I guess it's happening because GPUs work highly parallel and fetching from the same memory location at the same time results in an error(?)
Otherwise, I experienced similiar artifacts when writing to the same output in a shader

RedRose30

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have ver. 11.2.0-35U. Is it possible for me to homebrew my 3DS. All I want to do is edit my Pokemon X save and Animal Crossing New Leaf save.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I guess it's happening because GPUs work highly parallel and fetching from the same memory location at the same time results in an error(?)
Otherwise, I experienced similiar artifacts when writing to the same output in a shader
Well that stinks, especially since my idea was going to revolve around copying at most 256KB to VRAM via DMA per frame to increase rendering speed of my project. Now I guess I have 3 choices. Either......

- Copy that data twice to VRAM into different addresses
- Use GPU_LA8 and copy that once.
- Copy the data once, to have the GPU_L8 texture in VRAM and GPU_A8 texture in FCRAM, or vice versa.

The first two will require double the VRAM space. The third won't, but if I understand correctly, using multiple texture units will result in performance limited by the slower memory location, meaning if I use both VRAM and FCRAM, the renderer will be limited to the speed of FCRAM. Pretty pointless, but it might be a marginal improvement over having both in FCRAM.

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well that stinks, especially since my idea was going to revolve around copying at most 256KB to VRAM via DMA per frame to increase rendering speed of my project. Now I guess I have 3 choices. Either......

- Copy that data twice to VRAM into different addresses
- Use GPU_LA8 and copy that once.
- Copy the data once, to have the GPU_L8 texture in VRAM and GPU_A8 texture in FCRAM, or vice versa.

The first two will require double the VRAM space. The third won't, but if I understand correctly, using multiple texture units will result in performance limited by the slower memory location, meaning if I use both VRAM and FCRAM, the renderer will be limited to the speed of FCRAM. Pretty pointless, but it might be a marginal improvement over having both in FCRAM.
I'm not an expert in these things, so maybe it can be fixed.

I'm really interested in seeing the source of the demo, because I also thought about methods of drawing palleted textures on the 3DS, but never got to the point where I implemented one.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I'm not an expert in these things, so maybe it can be fixed.

I'm really interested in seeing the source of the demo, because I also thought about methods of drawing palleted textures on the 3DS, but never got to the point where I implemented one.
Would need to fix it up a little. It's based on StapleButter's design with changes to work in the way I wanted with the alpha channel, but recently, I made adjustments to both ctrulib + citro3d regarding VRAM.

delete12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by vanilla? I have the very first 3ds model, and I got it at the end of the year it came out. Is it really completely impossible to downgrade?
I meant to say if the 3ds is unhacked (vanilla), you can't get it hacked unless you do hardmodding. There are no known 11.2 primary exploits for you to use.

Reactions: RedRose30

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I havent watched Brotherhood yet
    It was watchable, not sure what my favorite Anime is hmmm
    Castlevania or Baki probably
    Robotech was good
    DBZ I liked up until Cell after that it got too weird
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My youtube comment got 2k likes achievement unlocked
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, i also watch my hero academia and rewatching dragón ball starting from the og series
    Oh also loved Vanhellsing
    And Vanhellsing abridged lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Aurora Borealis?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    jokes aside, anyone else who saw the northern lights tonight, what did you think, i thought they were beautiful for a while, before it went to a vague pink
    maybe later they'll pick up again
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went out and tried to see, but I'm too south, and its too cloudy, bummer
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    too far south? it goes down to alabama tonight
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry about the clouds btw, the sky is clear here rn
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe just too cloudy for me then, Idk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its neat tho, I seen it years ago when I was visiting Canada.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking