Hmm... Having Trouble Deciding Between 2 Games

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by The Riolu, Jun 26, 2013.

1. The Riolu
    OP

The Riolu Emanation Pokémon

Dec 17, 2012
    United States
    I just got my 3DS XL yesterday (FINALLY!!!), and I bought New Super Mario Bros. 2 along with it.

Now, I like NSMB in general, but honestly I completely forgot about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. It's $5 less than NSMB 2 but I'm not entirely sure that I am happy with my purchase of NSMB 2.

I'd like your opinions: Which would you recommend? NSMB 2 or Pokemon MD : GTI? And why?

Now I understand that these two games are completely different from one another; however, I am an avid Pokemon fan so I am wondering if I should buy the Pokemon game or pass.

2. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I would suggest the NSMB game. The Mystery Dungeons games arent really all that mysterious.

Besides how can you go wrong with mario?

EZ-Megaman and MarioFanatic64 like this.
  3. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    I recommend Kid Icarus.

4. The Riolu
    OP

Dec 17, 2012
    United States
    I never really disliked the Mystery Dungeon games. I actually thought the storyline was tear-jerking lol (in one of them at least)

I don't know; it just seems that I don't know if I made the right choice. I also find the game slightly rage-inducing.

I never played Kid Icarus before; I've heard of it but never checked it out. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out

5. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Well if thats the case, can you just wait till later and then pick it up next time?

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  6. The Riolu
    OP

Dec 17, 2012
    United States

Yes I could, but I pre-ordered Pokémon X as well... Hmm.

Actually I could probably get the game if I really wanted to... Might as well have both than one of them, I guess if I get bored of the other game I have a backup to go to..

I just get bored with it quickly, so I might try to pick up a copy of the Mystery Dungeon game while I'm thinking about it...

Thanks for the suggestions!

7. Sychophantom

Sychophantom I'm a plant.

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    Born on the Bayou
    Fuck Kid Icarus.

I recommend Nintendogs and Cats.

Langin likes this.
  8. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Mystery Dungeon 3DS SUCKS. As a fan of the other Mystery Dungeons, the 3DS one was a HUGE disappointment. I'd reccomend Mario 3D Land, or Animal Crossing.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  9. DaggerV

DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, the 3DS mystery dungeon was kind shit, unless you can pick it up for cheap, for like under 20, skip on it. Your field of vision or horrible, and the game is just easy and in general lackluster. You're stuck with a few pokemon to play story mode with nor can you evolve till you beat the game, the whole game just feels wrong compared to the previous entry. Plus if you want something that lasts, Monster Hunter is a good one, but give yourself a chance to get into it.

10. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    If it's only those two games that you want to make a decision, I'd say NSMB 2. The demo for that Pokemon Dungeon game is available on the eShop. They say that you can continue from the demo if you decide to buy the digital version but honestly, it's such a meh game that I gave up and it just made me want Pokemon X and Y sooner.

11. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    Am I the only one here who's going to say PMD over NSMB? I honestly never thought I'd say this, but, I'm simply tired of Mario. D:
    Please don't kill me!

12. Dork

Dork Newbie

Wow Sagat, you
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Sagat likes this.
  13. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Personally, it's the "NEW" series that I'm sick of.

xcrimsonstormx, Sagat and The Milkman like this.
  14. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Assuming you enjoy PMD, you're gonna get more hours out of that than Mario, since that game is designed for you to play for a long time. Unless you get bored, that is. But seriously, check out the demo.

15. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    NSMB2, period.

Although I recommend Rhythm Thief & the Emperor’s Treasure.

16. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity is a terrible game.

Keep NSMB2 or buy another thing.

17. squablo

squablo GBAtemp Regular

May 3, 2007
    United States
    Luigis Mansion is an excellent game. I would also recommend Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I have about 150 hours invested in MH3U and haven't even hit G Rank yet. Also, I really enjoyed Castlevania Mirror of Fate, but I am a huge Castlevania fan. MarioKart 7, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Resident Evil Revelations, Mario 3D Land. The 3DS has a pretty nice selection of high quality games. Don't forget about the eShop either. There are some really good downloadable titles available there too. Have fun with your new 3DS. It's my favorite handheld of all time (.....so far)

18. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    If you want Mario, get 3D Land. Its much better then that rehashed shit.

If you want Pokemon, wait for X and Y, Mystery dungeon is just a bad rogue-like.

I say buy Kid Icarus, one of the best experiences ive had on the console. Makes me scared to go buy any other games for the 3DS.

19. The Riolu
    OP

Dec 17, 2012
    United States
    To everyone:

I have kept nsmb 2 and bought the mystery dungeon game as well.

Thanks for the suggestions! Excuse any mistakes, I'm typing on my nexus 10 ;p

Sagat likes this.
  20. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Hopefully you enjoy PMD, considering all of the people in this thread who absolutely hate it.