Hacking Hinge Crack help.

strummer12

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got my DSL on launch day and the hinge finally cracked around X-mas time and I babied the hell out of it. No big deal. It doesn't affect the machine at all and I don't really care since I am cursed with a DS that has shitty diagonals. I'm planning to get a new one soon-waiting to see if they will announce new colours/bundles. Hopefully all the kinks will be worked out (diagonals, bottom screen yellowness, hinge and crappy speakers).

tetsuya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have bottom yellow screen, hinge crack and bad L button. I must of called in like 10 times and they want 50 - 75$ to repair it. I was like screw it Thanks butI hold on to it until a version 3 comes out.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
i must be one in a billion...
I first bought my DSL on launch day... about 2 or 3 months after the hinge crack started showing up on these forums, mine cracked. i sent it in to nintendo, and they replaced the whole DS. I cant say enough good things about Nintendo USA customer service. They send YOU an envelope with a pre-paid label in it and all you need to do it find a box and pack it. I live a couple states away from the repair center, so i recieved the DSL back in less than 1 week. i hadnt flashed it, i used a passcard, so i had no worries about my warranty being void. The ds was a completely new DSL with the same serial as my old one (i know because of dirt and debris inside of the clear plastic) AND they gave me another YEAR's warranty on it... i was extremely happy. About 3 months later, a crack on the same left side (above the L) appeared. Now i'll admit, the cracks never impeded my gameplay, but i was a whiny baby, and didnt want a cracked DS. So i made another return slip on nintendo.com and they shipped me another label, and all was good. The new ds was the same DS, but i couldnt blame them for it (i accidently got a resin stain under the plastic cover, so i could easily identify it) and gave me a another year warranty (not 1 yr and 6 mon. from the other warranty, but just a straight up years warranty from the time of the repair.)... i dont remeber the dates exactly, but once again, my dsl is cracking. this time with 2 cracks, one on the hinge, and one on the back of the housing above the R button. now, i want to mention that my DS gets heavy heavy usage... included alot of openings and closing... I play it at work, so i close it anytime someone opens my office door (i'm hidden behind a cubicle wall, so it's easy to conseal). So i cant complain about the Customer Service of nintendo, but maybe i should stop opening it up all the way to play on my desk. Overall, i plan on sending my ds in again, and again, if it breaks a fourth time. But i must also mention, my girlfriends pink ds has never had a problem... but she doesnt play it often.

Dude, try emailing them. See what they say. Maybe they can help, maybe your just outta reach. it's worth a shot.

fli_guy84

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
They should make the DS Lite with the original phat Gameboy material. Boy, that plastic is hard as diamond. Dropped mine hundreds of time but still no crack.

On topic, luckily I heard these crack hinge reports before I bought mine. That's why I bought a black one.

Another thing, my roomie has a white DS Lite but it doesn't have any cracks. His DS opens with a 'thud' sound instead of a click.

strummer12

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They should make the DS Lite with the original phat Gameboy material. Boy, that plastic is hard as diamond. Dropped mine hundreds of time but still no crack.

On topic, luckily I heard these crack hinge reports before I bought mine. That's why I bought a black one.

Another thing, my roomie has a white DS Lite but it doesn't have any cracks. His DS opens with a 'thud' sound instead of a click.

yeah, mine opens with a thud as well and I have the crack. It's really not that bad, I mean it doesn't split any further or chip or throw the screen off balance. I'm surprised it took as long as it did to crack since I have a launch model. took over half a year!

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
test84, where do u live. mine jiggles if i shake it a little. i dont think my jiggiling matters and i have a black.

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a crack but I also noticed that my DS Lite casing is kinda loose. Has anyone else had this problem?

DkInc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My DS Lite White that I have has always had a L button more loose than the R button. It shakes if I shake the unit. But no crack until I accidentally dropped it on the floor...
sleep.gif

PokeyStix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.theokteam.com
XP
Country
You know what I was saying about the crack not wrecking gameplay?

Yeah, well I was wrong.

After a bit, the crack got bigger, and eventually it snapped in half, and this is just from general everyday use.

This is what will happen to all of you who have a cracked hinge...beware.

Though loads of other people have already said the same thing....

Mm. Makes me feel pretty useless here...

Hmpf.

Darkspark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think it was a certain batch of White ds lites that were released close to launch in America and Europe that have the crack problem.

It could be down to the material, or assembly.

If you use a ds other than white, you notice the hinge is made of a different material to white ds lites. It is somewhat smoother, I think because it uses reinforced plastic. I base this upon using a pink ds lite.

The DS Lite that I got a crack on, made a loud snapping sound whenever it was opened, only after 11 months of this, did it finally crack.

The unit I have exchanged it for, seems to be as solidly built as the black ds lite. When opened, the hinge makes the same noise as the black. The volume control requires more pressure to move and the build is somewhat better.

I have a feeling that Nintendo know the exact problem causing the cracks, and have fixed it by now with the new batches of ds lites. Hopefully I have one of them.

I can certainly see the top half of a ds snapping off after developing a crack. My friend had his white ds lite for a couple of weeks before it developed a crack. A month later, it had fallen apart.

SeanoRLY?

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've never had this problem with my DS, but I'm sure it's just a fault in the DS casing. Maybe it's just wear and tear?

I treasure my DS, so nothing bad ever happens to it

simpson17

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo's fixed the newer hinges on the white dsl's, so the chance of getting a hinge crack is very unlikely on the newer models

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
I babied mine too, but it happend!

Is there any way to make sure that my exchanged DSL will be one of newly made ones and not one of olds ones from stock?
since i dont live in US and i have to make a sibling change it for me, please inform me if there is any way to make sure that new one is one of new serie and not one of olds.
thnx in advance.

Darkspark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ask if they have taken stock recently. With the current demand of DS Lites, they should be getting new stock all the time and selling out often.

You shouldn't worry, Im pretty sure you will get a newly made one, as few shops trouble getting rid of stock, quite the opposite.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
she got mine from Nintendo World Store which is in New York City.
but i'm still scared of my new one will be worse.
I just think that this crack will get worse if not i would use this and not let it take it back and risk of getting something worse.
are new ones 100% ok?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, hi