Hacking Hinge Broke on NDSLite. Help Needed

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. My hinge broke on my Black NDS Lite. (Why did it have to be me!?) And I know I have to buy a replacement shell for it. Thing is I don't know where to buy one cause all the places I've found are like $40+ and I can't pay that money at the moment. Can anyone recommend a place where I can buy one? Thanks alot.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I knows you!
ohmy.gif

They sell them here, but I don't really have experience or something since none of my DS hinges have broke yet.

Edit: A bit cheaper here

P

pasc

I'd send it in... repairing it yourself may end up in broken hardware.

My hinge broke too on my Phat DS, luckily my father could fix it (he's quite good at stuff like that
smile.gif
. )

Good that I don't have to buy a lite, I want to stick with those clicky buttons, I would miss them if I would buy Lite (I need to find a Phat that will let me install the lite firmware )

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd send it in... repairing it yourself may end up in broken hardware.

My hinge broke too on my Phat DS, luckily my father could fix it (he's quite good at stuff like that
smile.gif
. )

Good that I don't have to buy a lite, I want to stick with those clicky buttons, I would miss them if I would buy Lite (I need to find a Phat that will let me install the lite firmware )

I'd rather not send it in cause I'm a few days over my warranty. (I got it on Christmas of 2006) so I'd have to pay $60 for repairs. I'm also quite handy with this stuff so it shouldn't be hard.

Twiffles, I know you too! :3 Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

joebells

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd call and ask as its only a few days past and so they may let it squeak through I've heard of it several times. I know if your past by just a month or so they sometimes will discount the repair.

sicksam1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
whats broken about it? my sister droped her DS lite and the hinge snapped off but i opened the case and super glued it back together

N

nomad980

OK well I have bought and installed it. Firstly i know it looks kool but dont get a clear one. The shell is weaker in my opinion (my first shell was the clear blue and the hinge snapped.) Also be really careful when separating the LCD ribbon cable from the shell itself. Actually be really careful with the ribbon cables in general. I dont know why Nintendo has done nothing do fix the hinge flaw on the cases... Good Luck and remember to order the tri-wing phillips screwdriver, it helps alot.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I hear those scratch so much easier than the back cover of an iPod. They say that just opening the package it comes it might scratch it.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since the hinges have been known to break, Nintendo has replaced them for free in some cases. So even though it's out of warranty, they may replace it since they are aware of the problems with the hinges.

-Bri

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
I heard that those shock replacement cases are very low quality and cheap plastic , cheaper shells could be eaven worser, are you shure that you want to sacrifice well made originall shell, because of one broken hinge, plus dissasembling of ds lite is that hard that normal person have big chances to screw something in the hardware.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is a review of the DS Lite on this site that talks about the broken hinge problem. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36877

QUOTE said:
There have been some reported problems with the hinge cracks in the DS Lite. I, for one, have experienced this. It's a crippling problem, and I'll let you see it for yourself:

[picture]

However, I have decided not to deduct from the hardware rating for two reasons:
*Nintendo has corrected this issue in the second production of the Lite
*Nintendo has offered to fix any of these for free with a quick phone call- including mine

I'd contact Nintendo and see if they'll fix it since they know about the problem.

-Bri

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Call Nintendo first. And if they want to charge you $40+ then get a new case or sell your current one XD Taking it apart shouldn't be hard, with all the video tutorials out there.

catnapped

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming OP hasn't called Nintendo (yet), they're going to charge you anywhere between $50 and $75 to fix it (even if the warranty is valid). You're probably better off getting another case if you're sure you can replace it without destroying the unit.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are cases on Deal Extreme that are VERY professional. They look and feel EXACTLY like the real thing. I ordered one when my DSLite hinge broke and it is fantastic.

shanti.vt1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, my Hidge broke on my DS, Nintendo is not fixing it for free because it is out of Warrenty, They are going to charge me 54 to fix it. It was originally 75 but the lady gave me a 25 dollar credit. Should I try to replace the case my self or take it to Nintendo to fix and pay them the 54?

thanks

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, my Hidge broke on my DS, Nintendo is not fixing it for free because it is out of Warrenty, They are going to charge me 54 to fix it. It was originally 75 but the lady gave me a 25 dollar credit. Should I try to replace the case my self or take it to Nintendo to fix and pay them the 54?

thanks

My opinon is that you should do it yourself; I have.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7276

Feels exactly like the real thing. I've held one, and have replaced the case on my DS phat with a similar one.

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
no dont get it repaired by nintendo
even if you got the warrant
nintendo still going charge you for another 75 dollar
i got 2 DS lite, both got around the same time broken left hinge, i use one of them often and the other one not
if you get your nintendo ds repaired whether by nintendo or not
it mean that your nintendo cost = 130 dollar + 50 dollar
so means your nintendo ds = 180 dollar
and if you are unlucky maybe both hinge are broken = 130 + 100 = 230
only because the nintendo DS lite quality sucks
anyway, it pay back time
buy flash cart and stuffs
cursed nintendo
microsoft got beter service

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.