Hacking Hidden features in the DS-X Boot :-p

jackkill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
I dont know if we will be able to get access to the DS-X sources so that we (us who paid money) can take care of it and add all the features we were promised then.
anyway heres a little peak in the arm9.bin, of the dsx boot, of features not used while present. (was looking for implemented commands that i can use in the skin to have it load .nds from 3 different section (ex: wifiapp, app,..)

VIDEOS are natively supported like the mp3s!!(.dpg) and many other things...
first the supported folders:
/dscart/apps
/dscart/saves 'sav'
/dscart/music 'mp3 ogg wav'
/dscart/movies 'dpg' \\\the video playing function :-o 'VideoPlayer.play' so simple yet so hidden hahaha\\\
/dscart/pics 'jpg jpeg'

plugins available:
AAC Plugin 'ARM7'
ID3 MP3 Plugin
Mpeg 4/H.263 Decoder
Wav Plugin

many many more info hidden.
what's cool(if we dont want to flash our version) is that we can start the dsx with its normal 1.1.3 boot the from the apps load the edited versionand then have a user made 1.1.3++ hehe
anyway at least the function listing help for the creation of a more advanced skin for now. (funtions that were not undisclosed when i asked for them in the forum ;-p
help yourself first, that is the real world rule :-(

I really hope the open source firmware project will resume

robi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I'm kinda embarrassed to admit I still only have a DS-X. Been too lazy to replace it. Hoped I would win an iTouchDS
tongue.gif

But yeah, I hope this yields some new features. I remember talk of a FPGA that could be programed and help with processing for some cool homebrew/emulators. Looks like that never happened... :\

Neuromancer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jesterscourt said:
What happened to the guy that was tearing apart the DS-X firmware and figuring out how to make CFW?

From the wiki linked in the first post of his thread:

QUOTEThere seems little point in continuing the project here. A SVN project needs setting up.
Please watch for further details. In the mean time I have put the Original firmware and new
Versions 113 and unreleased versions 114 on the files page.
There was also some censorship going on with my posts in the Gbatemp DSX forums, so I no longer post.

Deleted member 94204

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Look what a hex edit of arm9.bin from the dump shows.

Starting at 0019C388:

MPEG::File::strip() - Cannot strip tags from a read only file...
MPEG::File::save() -- File is read only.....................
MPEG::Properties::read() -- Could not find a valid last MPEG frame in the stream....
MPEG::Properties::read() -- Could not find a vallid first MPEG frame in the stream...
MPEG::Properties::read() -- Page headers were invalid...Xing....
MPEG::XingHeader::Parse() -- Xing header doesn't contain the total number of frames.....
MPEG::XingHeader::Parse() -- Xing header doesn't contain the total

Here's some info about the skin (I guess of the top screen)

Starting at 0019E328:

bg.gfx
bg.pal
dot.gfx
eeprom.gfx
eeprom.map
eeprom.pal
loading.gfx
loading.pal

Apparently they use .gfx files instead of .raw. I wonder if .gfx would work for the bottom screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Also suspicion of packing a lot of hot fudge