Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Hey guys,
can someone explain what all these options are in Hermes cIOS installer?

- cIOS 202 (Homebrew) --> so we need this for homebrew? what if we have any of waninkoko's cIOS' installed, say rev 14, then this is not needed?

Then there is:
- cIOS 222 (Default)
- cIOS 223

Whats the difference between these two?

Then whatever is chosen, these options are given:

- Use IOS 36 (Default)
- Use IOS 37 merged with IOS 36
- Use IOS 38 merged with IOS 36
- Use IOS 60 merged with IOS 36

um.. what do all these options mean???

TIA
smile.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
SifJar said:
You dont need cIOS for ANY homebrew. Only warez stuff. And that is not homebrew.
Actually to be accurate, there is cIOS202 purely for MPlayer and other homebrew apps. Hermes is the pioneer of this homebrew IOS, and the MPlyaer team has developed it further.

There are great advantages to this - USB2.0 support, dvd-r reading, other permissions patches etc.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
First option is to let you choose which slot do you want the cIOS to be installed (202, 222 or 223): if you want to use the cIOS in an application, this application will need to reload this IOS, this way you can pick a slot which is recognized by the application.

Second option let you choose which IOS version you want to patch and to use as base for the cIOS:
IOS36 is the default version but it's also the oldest (basic) one.
IOS37 is an updated version of IOS36 (it was the first IOS to fix the signature bug, I dunno what additional features it brings, maybe some other bug fixes)
IOS38 was introduced with Animal Crossing and probably has some additional features required for some games to work in backup launchers (Microphon support ?).
IOS60 is the IOS used by System Menu 4.0 and has the ability to read SDHC cards.

I guess you would choose the combo that suits your needs best: homebrew user (MplayercE) would stick to IOS36 or maybe IOS36 merged with IOS60, warez stuff would use IOS36 merged with IOS38, etc

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Thanks for the replies everyone
smile.gif

OSW said:
SifJar said:
You dont need cIOS for ANY homebrew. Only warez stuff. And that is not homebrew.
Actually to be accurate, there is cIOS202 purely for MPlayer and other homebrew apps. Hermes is the pioneer of this homebrew IOS, and the MPlyaer team has developed it further.

There are great advantages to this - USB2.0 support, dvd-r reading, other permissions patches etc.

Ah, so since i have the installed the cios 202 from the mplayer, i dont need this as this is considered old and mplayer's one is improved (and based on this?)

Jacobeian said:
First option is to let you choose which slot do you want the cIOS to be installed (202, 222 or 223): if you want to use the cIOS in an application, this application will need to reload this IOS, this way you can pick a slot which is recognized by the application.
yeah but whats the difference between 222 and 223? merely a number change in ios? no change whatsoever?

QUOTE(Jacobeian @ Aug 24 2009, 02:22 PM)
Second option let you choose which IOS version you want to patch and to use as base for the cIOS:
IOS36 is the default version but it's also the oldest (basic) one.
IOS37 is an updated version of IOS36 (it was the first IOS to fix the signature bug, I dunno what additional features it brings, maybe some other bug fixes)
IOS38 was introduced with Animal Crossing and probably has some additional features required for some games to work in backup launchers (Microphon support ?).
IOS60 is the IOS used by System Menu 4.0 and has the ability to read SDHC cards.

I guess you would choose the combo that suits your needs best: homebrew user (MplayercE) would stick to IOS36 or maybe IOS36 merged with IOS60, warez stuff would use IOS36 merged with IOS38, etc
lol yeah i know what each IOS does.. My question is basically, whats the difference in regards of this installation? What advantages does each option give? thats what i cant really understand..

yeah the combo thing is what i dont get? .. what?? lol..

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't get what the "merge" means too.

I thought recent IOS used all the old IOS feature + newer, without removing anything.

Or maybe new IOS don't have features like ES_identify or microphone enable, and the merge option just take it back?
for example if IOS60 don't have the microphone code because games that need it just run on 38.

actually is that this way ?

- Use IOS 36 (Default) -> add the USB2.0 only
- Use IOS 37 merged with IOS 36 -> add the usb2.0 only too (what does IOS37 benefit from IOS36 ?)
- Use IOS 38 merged with IOS 36 -> add USB2.0 to IOS38 with usb devices (guitar & microphone)
- Use IOS 60 merged with IOS 36 -> add USB2.0 to ISO60 with SDHC, but without usb devices ?

If so, isn't the best choice is to merge all the features in one without choosing, and make an IOS which have microphone, guitar, and SDHC, etc. all on the same cIOS ?
something like merging feature 60+38+37+36.

Is there a readme somewhere ? it's not included in the distribution, there is only the dol.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
QUOTE said:
yeah but whats the difference between 222 and 223? merely a number change in ios? no change whatsoever?

there is no difference, like said above, it's only a choice of number. This let you install multiple variants of this cIOS, cIOS(36) could be installed as IOS202, cIOS(36+38) as IOS222, cIOS(36+60) as IOS222, etc...
also different applications might want the cIOS to be installed at diferent slots, or specific slot number, this option let you change the destination slot, that's all

QUOTElol yeah i know what each IOS does.. My question is basically, whats the difference in regards of this installation? What advantages does each option give? thats what i cant really understand..

huh, did you at least understood what I've wrote ?
if you know what each IOS does then you know what advantages and inconvenients each one have regarding to the other
this option let you CHOOSE which IOS basic features you want in your cIOS, some might want to use IOS38 features, some other IOS60 features, etc...

the difference in the installation is that the cIOS will have the feature of the selected IOS(es)

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
madridi4ever said:
Ah, so since i have the installed the cios 202 from the mplayer, i dont need this as this is considered old and mplayer's one is improved (and based on this?)

Jacobeian said:

Yes and yes. you make the IOS and choose which number to install it as.

Merging some IOS is just combining some useful features of both, I'm not super knowledgeable on it.

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
Cyan said:
I don't get what the "merge" means too.

I thought recent IOS used all the old IOS feature + newer, without removing anything.

Or maybe new IOS don't have features like ES_identify or microphone enable, and the merge option just take it back?
for example if IOS60 don't have the microphone code because games that need it just run on 38.

actually is that this way ?

- Use IOS 37 merged with IOS 36 -> add the usb2.0 only too (what does IOS37 benefit from IOS36 ?)
- Use IOS 38 merged with IOS 36 -> add USB2.0 to IOS38 with usb devices (guitar & microphone)
- Use IOS 60 merged with IOS 36 -> add USB2.0 to ISO60 with SDHC, but without usb devices ?

If so, isn't the best choice is to merge all the features in one without choosing, and make an IOS which have microphone, guitar, and SDHC, etc. all on the same cIOS ?
something like merging feature 60+38+37+36.

Is there a readme somewhere ? it's not included in the distribution, there is only the dol.
Merging with 37 is used for Rock Band Instrument and 38 for Wii SPeak
Correct me if I'm wrong

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Thanks for the replies guys

Jacobeian said:
huh, did you at least understood what I've wrote ?
if you know what each IOS does then you know what advantages and inconvenients each one have regarding to the other
this option let you CHOOSE which IOS basic features you want in your cIOS, some might want to use IOS38 features, some other IOS60 features, etc...

the difference in the installation is that the cIOS will have the feature of the selected IOS(es)
yeah I did understand what you wrote. I just meant what does each option do EXACTLY?
Like some Cyan was saying, 36 only and merging with 37 adds usb 2.0 only? while merging with 60 adds sdhc but no USB?
I dont get it, why not all features in one IOS installation?

also, if waninkoko's cios rev 14 is installed, the wii will use its features and not hermes'? (not really sure what im asking here, couldnt put it in better words :s )

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
QUOTE said:
yeah I did understand what you wrote. I just meant what does each option do EXACTLY?
Like some Cyan was saying, 36 only and merging with 37 adds usb 2.0 only? while merging with 60 adds sdhc but no USB?
I dont get it, why not all features in one IOS installation?

probably because of compatibility reason and because nothing is never as simple as "bricks" merged together... an official program that need IOS37 might fail if you use IOS38 for example
like said above, different official game discs or channels might rely on different IOS features, it's just a way to get those features with cIOS features as well
it seems to be common belief that every IOS are backward compatible but I really doubt this

anyway,the most reliable person to tell us what are exactly picked from those IOS would be hermes himself, it's very difficult to know without a sourcecode or a detailled documentation

about USB 2.0 support, it's a cIOS feature, not a feature from nintendo IOS... so I'm sure it's in all of the various combo...

QUOTEalso, if waninkoko's cios rev 14 is installed, the wii will use its features and not hermes'? (not really sure what im asking here, couldnt put it in better words :s )

waninkoko cIOS are installed as IOS249 (generally)
you cannot use two IOS at the same time, it's up to the application (not the "wii") to choose which cIOS is reloaded, some of them will use IOS249 (waninkoko cIOS) by default, some others let you choose which IOS slot you want to reload so you can use Hermes cIOS

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Thanks Jacobeian, I understood it all. Except for the fact that I'm not really sure what each option does, feature wise I mean..

I mean, is what Cyan said right?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
carbonyle said:
Merging with 37 is used for Rock Band Instrument and 38 for Wii SPeak
Correct me if I'm wrong
Is IOS37 used for guitar hero/Rock Band ?
I thought 37 just brought the trucha bug fix, with no new feature. (Wiimpersonator only list 2009 updates)
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS_History

Waninkoko used IOS36 instead of 37 because of a stability issue while customizing it, but no more advantage from features.

38 was introduced with animal crossing for the microphone to work.
I don't know which IOS is used for guitar hero/Rock Band games.

Maybe only Hermes know what code he is merging from each.
I wanted to know the differences from all the merging option too, and thought there were a topic where it was explained, but I didn't search it yet.

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Mplayer CE developers say that IOS60 has improvements in WIFI.

So wouldn't a cIOS with IOS36 merged with IOS60 be good for online games?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
piratesmack said:
The Mplayer CE developers say that IOS60 has improvements in WIFI.

So would a cIOS with IOS36 merged with IOS60 be good for online games?
It will depend of the improvement.
If it's the same functions, and only better coding, I think yes it will be good.
But if there's new functions, only games designed to work with the IOS60 new functions will work.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have much info as far as what each IOS does and such, but I've tested most cIOS 222 installations (mostly on TheConduit) and found one that has been working very well for me.

As I stated, my testing started on The Conduit. I purchased the game from Gamestop and immediately installed it on my HDD before even playing the game on disc. I first tried playing using cIOS 249 rev 13a as that is the cIOS I had installed at the time. The single player game played fine but when I entered the multiplayer menu I'd experience lots of stuttering and occasional freezes.

I then decided to install and try cIOS 222 rev 2 (the newest at the time). I first used the default installation, 222 as 36 and 223 as 37 merge 36. cIOS 222 still had the stuttering and freezing in the multiplayer menu so I then tried 223. It worked perfectly. Next I tried 223 with all of my other games and found that they all worked perfectly too.

I loaded ATD and uninstalled 222 and 223 and then reinstalled them: 222 as 37 merge 36 and 223 as 38 merge 36. I now use 222 globally with zero issues on any game (my global 002fix in USB Loader GX is set to ANTI). The only settings change i've ever made to a game since switching is setting video mode to AUTOPATCH for out of region games. Games that require a disc in the drive still need one though as I don't think the GX team has updated hermes' mload in a while. For those I just individually set them to use cIOS 249 rev 12 (doesn't have the reboot bug, but does have the disc in drive fix).

Hopefully that helps somebody here...

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
well, now i know what to install, I'll do that. Thanks 0ld8boy
smile.gif

I still hope someone would elaborate on what feature each option does

Quick question though, stupid one too
tongue.gif

if i already installed it, do i have to uninstall it or simply running it and installing it again will overwrite my installation?

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Well, now that Hermes cIOS rev4 is out, it's using IOS 38 as a base,

The options are

- Use IOS 38 (Recommended)
- Use IOS 38 merged with IOS 37
- Use IOS 38 merged with IOS 60

Can anyone tell me the difference? and which combination (for IOS 222 & 223) is the best?

Thanks
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: btw i feel this a good time to remind you guys that sea of thieves was made by rare, who also...