Hacking help?

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so um recently i've decided to buy an r4/dstt/cyclods/any other flash cart thingie
but im still having trouble deciding which one to get
ive read all the r4 vs. dstt
but theres still many things that confuse me
if you could help clear it up that'd be nice :]

ok so i heard the dstt 'sticks' to the slot1 sometimes, as in not fitting very well
and lots of complaints about it suddenly not working
or the games are 'hung', whatever that means
i feel more inclined to buy a dstt because it is cheaper
and it has some automatic patching stuff
and supports sdhc
and has that click thing for the micro

but on the other hand
r4's are much more known
a bit more expensive
not as much problems
but doesnt support sdhc
and you have to patch it yourself
and its just sliding the microsd in (which makes me worried it'll fall out..does it?)

ok well thats pretty much all i know about them
im not sure about the homebrew stuff or the apps that are available
ive been researching for like days
but i still cant come to a conclusion :/
when it comes to buying things i have to be really careful and stuff

well i dunno if anyone cares to read this supa long thing
just to help out a confused and indecisive girl
but thanks to those that are...if any at all..
i hope i can get one soon!
im so excited
tongue.gif

P.S. i wanted to buy one from dealextreme but i have read like SOOO many complaints about the delay in shipping and the out of stock-ness
i dunno where else to buy cheap ones :[

Seina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so um recently i've decided to buy an r4/dstt/cyclods/any other flash cart thingie
but im still having trouble deciding which one to get
ive read all the r4 vs. dstt
but theres still many things that confuse me
if you could help clear it up that'd be nice :]

ok so i heard the dstt 'sticks' to the slot1 sometimes, as in not fitting very well

Some DSTT's are defective and malformed. Mine clicks in and out like a regular DS game.
QUOTE said:
and lots of complaints about it suddenly not working
or the games are 'hung', whatever that means
These problems could be due to a long list of causes. DSLinux does not work at the moment, but it does work on the R4. Games that just came out may not work until the next update.
QUOTE said:
i feel more inclined to buy a dstt because it is cheaper
and it has some automatic patching stuff
and supports sdhc
and has that click thing for the micro

but on the other hand
r4's are much more known
a bit more expensive
not as much problems
but doesnt support sdhc
and you have to patch it yourself
R4 and DSTT both autopatch DLDI.
QUOTE said:
and its just sliding the microsd in (which makes me worried it'll fall out..does it?)
My R4 has the spring, but I have a Supercard Lite that doesn't. I don't know how loose R4 is. Supercard Lite is so tight I scraped the backing off a (still working) card getting it out.
ok well thats pretty much all i know about them
im not sure about the homebrew stuff or the apps that are available
ive been researching for like days
but i still cant come to a conclusion :/
when it comes to buying things i have to be really careful and stuff

well i dunno if anyone cares to read this supa long thing
just to help out a confused and indecisive girl
but thanks to those that are...if any at all..
i hope i can get one soon!
im so excited
tongue.gif

P.S. i wanted to buy one from dealextreme but i have read like SOOO many complaints about the delay in shipping and the out of stock-ness
i dunno where else to buy cheap ones :[
Dealextreme usually takes at least a month to ship. It may say in stock, but most of the time when you order it's out of stock and you're waiting sometime within the month for it to come back in stock.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The R4 is an older cart, and somewhat outdated. It doesn't allow microSDHC cards and isn't updated very often, so that would be a reason to avoid it for a newer one.

The TTDS and EDGE are both cheap carts that seem to work well. The EDGE is brand new, so it's unknown exactly what its support will be like, but they did release an update recently that fixed the bug that wouldn't allow the menu to be skinned. The DSTT seems to have pretty good support so far, and there is a homebrew menu named YSMenu for it which means that new features could be added regardless of future support. The DSTT is one of the fastest carts as far as loading roms.

Some have reported that the menu lags with larger microSDHC cards formatted with FAT32. One of the biggest complaints about the DSTT is that it doesn't sort the roms in the menu. These problems could be fixed with firmware upgrades, and YSMenu doesn't seem to have those problems.

Some of the DSTT's have had some quality control issues, so if you buy one make sure you can exchange it if you have a problem. Also, some have had problems with the card reader that comes with it (but inexpensive card readers are easy to get if you have a problem with the one that comes with your DSTT).

If you're looking to spend more money on a cart with more bells and whistles, most people seem to like the CycloDS.

If you want to buy a DSTT right away and don't mind paying a little more, gameyeeeah.com has them in stock (use GBATEMP as a coupon code and get a couple bucks off). Otherwise, dealextreme will probably get them back in at some point.

-Bri

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mmmm k thanks for the responses

cuz with the r4 there are like hundreds of places where you can learn how to add apps and how to do this and that
and like lots of videos on youtube and stuff to show you how
but with the dstt theres only so much
so i thought if i got a r4 it would be much more fit for someone as technologically-retarded as me

but anyway,
any um suggestions or recommended applications and homebrew stuff?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DSTT is just as easy as the R4. In fact, nearly every cart works about the same way. Download the kernel from the official website, put it on the microSD card, put some .nds files in a "games" folder on the card, and you're off.

There is a thread about homebrew on this forum. To recommend homebrew would depend on what you're interested in, but DSOrganize and Moonshell are quite popular. Pocket Physics and Colors are also favorites.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy