Hacking help with vwii semi brick

antnida

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also found another post [Guide] How to fix your vWii semi-brick here on GBA TEMP but I don't have a fresh vIOS, can someone help me out with this file?

Hi, for the last couple of days I tried to fix my semi brick vwii but no luck. Homebrew still launch but just a black screen. I tried FTPiiu everywhere to get acess to the slccmpt(01) folder but kept getting access denied. I believed it have to do with the file permission since I can see my SD card just fine. Any help on how to fix this? I did lots of search but still couldn't figure it out.

Thanks
Tony

Last edited by antnida,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your issue with ftpii u everywhere is probably the result of not having the right version. there's a version for mocha and one for haxchi/cbhc.

did you backup every ios like you're supposed to? I don't think that will fix your issue though if you're getting a black screen with homebrew.

antnida

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried serveral version but no luck, I am following the wupsever with python now to see if I can give the write access to the wiiu drive. And then I can update the ios80 with a clean version.

I haven't mess with the modding scene for a couple of year now. I don't think I have any of the backup I did many years ago. Recently my hdd died and after I reinstall the game on a new hdd cfg, usb loader gx and wiiflow now longer work right so I updated a few ios and I think I might update the wrong one in the wrong place which cause the black screen on homebrew on the vwii.

your issue with ftpii u everywhere is probably the result of not having the right version. there's a version for mocha and one for haxchi/cbhc.

did you backup every ios like you're supposed to? I don't think that will fix your issue though if you're getting a black screen with homebrew.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think ios 80 is here:

Code:
storage_slccmpt01/title/00000001/00000002/content

it may be one or all three files (think it's three iirc). it might only be the 0000001f.app file (not sure).

Last edited by godreborn,

antnida

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got one step closer but not fully there yet. Got access to the wiiu hdd and replace the file 0000001f.app but homebrew screen is still black. Not sure what to do next. I'll just searching for more post and see if I find something else.

Thanks
Tony

I think ios 80 is here:

Code:

it may be one or all three files (think it's three iirc). it might only be the 0000001f.app file (not sure).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Are you sure the problem is IOS80 ?
IOS80 is the one used by the system menu.

if you can launch the system menu from the normal "launch vWii" feature, then I don't think the problem is IOS80.
If you can launch the vWii only with the wiiU's homebrew "hbl2hbc" to go directly to HBC, then it's a IOS80 problem.

If the problem is HBC not loading, your problem is more common : IOS58 !
maybe you installed a Wii version of IOS58 on your vWii ?

This is now very easy to fix, thanks to Fix94 :)

1. you need the official and clean vWii IOS58 (not a problem)
2. you need to inject a vWii WAD manager into a wiiU channel
3. install the wiiU channel on your WiiU menu

The wiiu channel will launch vWii mode and automatically boots the WAD manager with NAND access.
there, you can install the clean IOS58

Edit:
Attention, this one is the system menu :
Code:
it's not IOS80

if you mess with system menu it will not launch anymore, but you can reinstall it with the wadmanager injected into a WiiVC.

Last edited by Cyan,

antnida

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Cyan,

Thanks for helping out. Yes, it's 58, since I can access the vWii from the WiiU menu. I can still play wii cd games and launch exploit (using Indiana Jones) just got stuck at the warning screen since I can't press 1 to continue. Non wiimote or wiimote controllers works, will not sync. I don't think it's matter just yet until I can replace cios 58 with a clean version first before I can reinstall homebrew channel or run syscheck.

I got #1 checked. For 2 and 3 I am not so sure yet as I search nothing specific came up. Can you help elaborate or point me in the right direction?

For #2, I assumed put the vWii WAD manager folder (from wii SD card) into the WiiU sd apps folders. There I'll have a channel vwii WAD manager when launch Haxchi in WiiU.

For #3 I am not sure how to do this assuming I am got #2 correct :)

"This is now very easy to fix, thanks to Fix94 :)

1. you need the official and clean vWii IOS58 (not a problem)
2. you need to inject a vWii WAD manager into a wiiU channel
3. install the wiiU channel on your WiiU menu

The wiiu channel will launch vWii mode and automatically boots the WAD manager with NAND access.
there, you can install the clean IOS58"

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
How to reinstall a good vWii IOS58 from WiiU mode
or
How to install WAD from WiiU
or
How to create a WiiU WiiVC channel with vWii Wad Manager to manage vWii NAND from WiiU

Requirements

1. you'll need .Net framework 4.6.2 (I think)
    if you are not on windows, you can use it with some other program (I don't know linux or mac enough to help here, sorry)
    https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/windows

2. you need this program (requires net framework) WiiU VC injector script:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

3. you need this (v)Wii Wad manager homebrew :
    https://github.com/FIX94/Some-YAWMM-Mod/releases

4. you need this WiiU homebrew
    http://wiiubru.com/appstore/#/app/wup_installer_gx2
    put it to sd:/wiiu/apps/wup_installer_gx2/ folder

5. If you need to reinstall IOS58, you need the clean vWii IOS58 v6432.wad
    if you need to reinstall any other IOS, you also need a clean vWii IOS wad for it.
    copy to SD:/wad/

6. You need the WiiU common key (google)
    You need the "Rhythm Heaven Fever" USA game key (wiiu key website, google it too)
Ok, you have all you need.

instructions

1. launch the "WiiU VC injector script" program

2. select "Wii homebrew injection" mode.

3. click on the "game..." button, and select the "boot.dol" you got in requirement step 3

4. you'll have to select some banners/icon that will be used for your created channel. They will be displayed on your WiiU system menu.
    You can use these two pictures, provided by @antnida.
    Or if you want your own pictures, you'll have to choose 2 different targa pictures with the right size (the script will convert to correct tga format automatically).
    You can find more samples here.

5. on the "Meta option" tab,
    You'll have to choose a name for your created channel, instead of "N/A", so let's call it "vWii wad manager"
    It should generate a random titleID for you (this is good, don't try to change it)

6. go to the "advanced settings" tab,
    enable "wiimote pass through" if you want to enable the Wiimote. if you want only the wiimote and disable the gamepad support completely, you can select the option to disable it.

7. go to "build title" tab
    fill in the text field the requested keys you got on requirement 6, and when all requirement are displayed in green, click on the "Build" button to build the channel.

8. put the generated files into your SD :
    SD:/install/wii Wad manager/ put .app and other files here

9. launch your WiiU in CFW mode (CBHC, haxchi, or anything else which is NOT redNAND, like sigpatcher2sysmenu or sigpatcher2hbl)

10. launch WUP installer GX2 from Homebrew launcher and install the generated channel to your WiiU

11. still with CFW enabled, launch the installed channel.
    Your WiiU will boot in vWii mode, with the WAD manager from requirement 3 launched automatically without going through the vWii Homebrew Channel nor even requiring IOS58.

12. install the clean vWii IOS58 with the WAD manager.

Done.
reboot and enjoy your fixed semi-bricked vWii.

FAQ

• Problem with the injector script ?
If you have issue using the injector script program, please report your problem here :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

• How to be sure the IOS58 is clean ?
md5 : 1fe0b5e733a434918f1cf3dc354824be
sha1 : dc2d79530a4a31204e94bc4c41dfa38c39b3e749
CRC32 : 68aa72fd

• How to be sure you found the correct key?
The injector will change the color of the field from red to green.
it will not let you create the channel with a bad key.

• Why use the script injector? can't someone else who already created the channel share it for others to use?
No, sorry. you need to build the channel yourself as you can't share ready to install channels here.
WiiU WiiVC contains nintendo's copyrighted code and files.

Attachments

• vWii_YAWMM_icon_banner.zip
    161.8 KB · Views: 736
Last edited by Cyan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@antnida,
I don't know if you seen and followed the guide I took the time to write for you.
But if you followed it and it worked, I'll be happy to know about it so I can suggest it to more users.

let me know what you did so far, if it worked or not.
thanks.

antnida

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Cyan and godreborn for helping out.

I got the homebrew on the vwii to work again following steps 1 to 6 in the requirements and steps 1 to 11 in Instructions. I did not run into any issue what so ever, it was very ez to do.

In step #4, unless someone wanted a the correct icon and banner for vWii Wad Manager/YAWMM-Mod then they will need photoshop (which I have but no need for me to make one) to create the artwork. For me it's a temporary channel on so the correct artwork for vWii Wad Manager icon and banner is not important. I just download any artwork created on the link you provided (my case I just download NBA jam icon and banner from the link you gave) When the channel installed on WiiU menu the artwork is for NBA jam but in my case I know that it will take me to vWii Wad Manager/YAWMM-Mod. From there I installed a clean vWii IOS58 v6432.wad.

I also have to run sigpatcher2sysmenu before installing the vWii Wad Manager/YAWMM-Mod channel on the WiiU menu.

Other than that to get my USB loader gx to work again I have to install base 56 with slot 249, base 57 with slot 250 and base 58 with slot 251 and I am able to load USB loader gx. For Wiiflow it only showed 23 wii games in the usb compated to USB loader gx that showed all games.

Thanks again for helping out.
Tony

antnida

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Cyan,

I went ahead and create the YAWMM icon and banner and use TeconMoon's WiiVC Injector [3.0.1] to build the vWii_wad_manager folder. If it's not against any rule you can pull it from my dropbox and hose it anywhere where others can just download this, that way all they have to do is get a clean vWii IOS58 v6432.wad and wup installer gx2 and this folder and they are all set unbrick their vWii.

*deleted link*

Last edited by Cyan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
sorry, you can't share already build WiiU channels as they contains copyrighted nintendo files and programs.
that's why the user need to use the script injector to create it.

What you can provide is your icon and banner, I can add them to the guide :)

Deleted member 373223

Pink = Best colour
Trophies
XP
How do you get a clean IOS? From NUS?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nevermind, i do not need it for what i need, just installing the wad manager, ignore it, sorry for the bump, i misunderstood because i saw it in the requirements.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
to answer you, and for anyone else wanting the same thing :
clean IOS wad are extracted directly from your vWii NAND at hacking step ! when you still have access to vWii and never edited your IOS.
this is in hacking steps for a reason, you can't build clean WAD files from NUS or from any computer tool.

You need to use BlueDumpMod with no patches enabled to dump proper wad of your system files.

edit:
I edited the guide to add "if you need to restore an IOS..."

Last edited by Cyan,

PlugoffGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to answer you, and for anyone else wanting the same thing :
clean IOS wad are extracted directly from your vWii NAND at hacking step ! when you still have access to vWii and never edited your IOS.
this is in hacking steps for a reason, you can't build clean WAD files from NUS or from any computer tool.

You need to use BlueDumpMod with no patches enabled to dump proper wad of your system files.

edit:
I edited the guide to add "if you need to restore an IOS..."

Dear Cyan,

i have followed the guide step by step, and now i am ready to put my SD back into the Wii U, however i still do not know what you mean when you say IOS Wad are extracted directly from your vWii NAND, you previously mentioned that i have to make sure it is a clean IOS58 and install it using a wad manager. but where do i get it from? do i need to find it online or what exactly. because i am scared to go through all these steps, get into my vWii and not have any IOS58 show up.. please bare with my ignorance as i am very new to all this. many thanks in advance

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's two different things.

if you want a custom IOS, it means the program is patching an original IOS you already have. do to that (cIOS) the installer uses one of the IOS already on your console.
that's only related to the installation of the cIOS.

the IOS58 on your console was bad, because you replaced it with a bad wad ?
you want to re-install a clean IOS (not cIOS !), then this is what you have to do : install a clean wad with a wad manager. It has nothing to do with "extracting or using the IOS from your console as base for the patched cIOS".

extracting does not mean deleting, if that's what you are afraid of.
the cIOS installation "extract" (use a copy) of IOS57, patches it, and install the result in slot 249. (or 250, depends the guide you are following). the original IOS57 is still there, untouched. that's the primary purpose of installed a patched IOS in another slot (249) instead of patching the IOS directly in its own slot (57), to keep the original 57 clean and untouched.

you might want to learn how the Wii is working : https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-hacking-explained.501605/

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1