Help with setup

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by R2DJ, Nov 18, 2009.

Nov 18, 2009

Help with setup by R2DJ at 9:54 PM (778 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Components:

Dell SX2210 - using HDMI connection (using an Alba brand which is the cheapest one bought from Argos - no probs with it as it delivers 1080p perfectly, as every HDMI cable should [​IMG])
    Logitech X-540 - 5.1 speaker but not really REAL surround sound, just matrix/virtual. 3.5 to main and red and white jacks at the other end.

My monitor doesn't have speakers so I'm using external speakers. I don't have the official HDMI cable (and the audio adapter as well) so I figured I'd use the official component cable AND a third-party RGB SCART cable. So this is how the setup is:

~ represents cable

360 > HDMI > Monitor
    360 > Official AV cable/3rd party cable ~~ Red and white jacks > RCA sockets ~~~~ 3.5mm jack > Mains/subwoofer

Audio works fine but the monitor is not picking up any video signal. [​IMG] And yes, both the HDMI and the AV cable are plugged in properly on the 360 (I took out the shell so the both cables would fit)

What I'm thinking is that the AV cables I used provide video connection as well. Is that why I am not getting any picture? Do I have no option but to buy the official ones? If I have to, are they gonna work 100%?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. JesseB

Member JesseB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think this might be what you're looking for.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4554082_xbox-hdmi-...er-monitor.html

Also, I have my 360 hooked to my pc's LCD monitor via the official 360 VGA cable. I found it for 5 dollars used at a local gamestop and have never had a single problem with it. Hope this helps.

3. R2DJ
    OP

United Kingdom
    The thing is, my connection is gonna be HDMI to HDMI. I do have the VGA cable (official one as well). I'm using it right now as a temporary substitute but the monitor's only got 1 VGA socket. One of the reasons I upgraded my monitor is so I can hook up both the 360 and my PC.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    From what I recall and a quick search MS want to play rip you off and will try and sting you for an audio adapter as well and the new style AV cables will not fit as you found out.
    Short of paying for the cable from MS I suspect you hit the nail on the head. I see a few audio adapters by themselves around on various second hand sites and my immediate thoughts run to painting the pins with correction fluid (or something that does not conduct/will break the connection) or going in manually and actually breaking the connection.

This is for a homebuilt VGA cable but it does have a nice pinout for you to use http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/14/how-to-...a-vga-cable-fo/ I also read that some cables have shorted pins that prevent this sort of thing so you might just want to prevent connections instead (the audio is middle pins top and bottom so tape the rest if you want).

Option 2) a VGA switch as you say you already have a cable, Amazon rocks them for about £8 these days and if you feel like spending £15 I have seen them in maplins as well.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Urgh, I am going to cop this one and not stealthily edit it..... this is why we do not answer technical questions having just come around.
    You are going to need to have a ground as well in all of that or you will have no sound.
    Here is another guide as that first one I linked seems to be down.
    http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/Xbox%20...or%20Pinout.htm

6. R2DJ
    OP

United Kingdom
    NVM

Just found out that I have to manually go to HDMI source on my monitor. It doesn't auto-detect, which is inconvenient but I like the picture quality so...

Thanks for the help anyway guys!