ROM Hack Help with replacing a sprite in Yu-Gi-Oh WC 2011

Metalcape

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The japanese version of this game has two versions of a certain outfit for the player character, one is uncensored and is used if the game's language is set to japanese, otherwise the game uses the censored one. I wanted to replace the files of the international one with those of the japanese one, using crystal tile 2.

There are 2 images (facing left and right) for the outift, and each one is made of 4 files of different type: NCGR, NCER, NANR and NCLR. (Only the NCGR file should be relevant, I think the other 3 are the same for both versions). What I tried to do was exporting the japanese files to rename them and then import them back to overwrite the censored ones, but it turns out that the japanese NCGR files are larger, and crystal tile doesn't allow me to import them.

So I decided to unpack the ROM and edit the file wear.pac (containing all images for player outfits) with an hex editor and copy-paste manually the data of those files, using the addresses and file sizes from crystal tile. There were some zeroes after the end of the files to overwrite, so I could paste the extra bytes over them without overwriting anything else. Surprisingly it worked, but now the game behaves unpredictably whenever that sprite is displayed. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes graphics and text get corrupted. I tested the game on desmume X432, and whenever it crashes the log says that the emulator has read an undefined instruction. I also tried to edit the ROM directly, same behavior.

Is there a safer way to replace those 2 files without breaking the game? I think that for my manual edit to work I should have also changed the file size which should be written somewhere in that .pac archive, but I couldn't find it.

Last edited by Metalcape,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Sigh