Hardware Help with potentially bricked switch?

Justerino

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my first switch I bought on launch day I had brewed it. After 9.1 had updated early before Atmos was updated and couldn't power on. I panicked and was attempting to boot it up any way I could. When I was tampering with my files on the SD card, they had corrupted and I lost everything.

So I'm wondering if there's any way I can fix this- is it stuck somehow? Auto rcm or did I brick it? I've tried charging my switch and plugging it in, even after holding the power button my computer doesn't recognize it.

The only saving grace was finding a backup switch that I use but I'd like to try and get my OG switch back up and running if possible.

Any insight would be appreciated, thank you!

EDIT : in case anyones wondering, I'm trying again after "bricking" it about 5 months ago because I ordered a new jig and it's arriving today

Last edited by Justerino,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steps for troubleshooting a system with AutoRCM installed and a dead battery:
If your console can still accept payloads...
  1. Press the Power button once
  2. Press and hold the Power button for 12 seconds
  3. Press the Power button once
  4. Connect it to your computer via USB
  5. Send Hekate as a payload
  6. Choose the "Power Off" function
  7. DO NOT unplug your console from this point as now your console will normally recharge. It should gain enough charge to boot up into CFW/OFW in about 10-15 minutes. It should also be noted that this method is the only way to charge the console while keeping it off as trying to charge it in any other scenario will turn on the Switch.
If your console cannot accept payloads...
  3. Either plug the Switch into your computer via USB or the dock while the dock is connected to the charger
  4. Wait about 30 minutes to an hour
  5. Try sending a payload such as Hekate. If it succeeds, use Hekate's "Power Off" function and keep the console plugged in so it can continue charging at a faster rate. If the payload did not work, try charging the console for longer or charge it elsewhere
(Taken from this thread)

If the above steps don't work, try a different computer and a different USB cord.

If you don't have AutoRCM installed, then the system should charge normally, and it should boot Hekate normally when it's in RCM and you push the Hekate payload. If you cannot get the system to boot into Hekate after charging it, then you need to try a different computer and a different USB cord. If the system is attempting to power on instead of going to Hekate, then you might need a different jig, since that would mean you're not entering RCM.

Once we are satisfied that the system can boot Hekate, we can shift troubleshooting methods if there's still a problem.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Justerino

Justerino

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steps for troubleshooting a system with AutoRCM installed and a dead battery:

(Taken from this thread)

If the above steps don't work, try a different computer and a different USB cord.

If you don't have AutoRCM installed, then the system should charge normally, and it should boot Hekate normally when it's in RCM and you push the Hekate payload. If you cannot get the system to boot into Hekate after charging it, then you need to try a different computer and a different USB cord. If the system is attempting to power on instead of going to Hekate, then you might need a different jig, since that would mean you're not entering RCM.

Once we are satisfied that the system can boot Hekate, we can shift troubleshooting methods if there's still a problem.
Thank you for the swift response! I'm currently at work but I will attempt this when I'm home. Keep you posted!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the swift response! I'm currently at work but I will attempt this when I'm home. Keep you posted!
When you try to turn on the Switch after charging it for a little bit, does the backlight come on at all, or is it indistinguishable from a completely dead Switch?

Justerino

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's charged and it's still indistinguishable from a completely dead Switch, then you're either dealing with AutoRCM or a hardware issue. Try my AutoRCM/dead battery steps above when you get home.
Hi again, im currently "charging" the switch. Something I noted while plugging it into the dock, the dock light blinks on for a half second then goes out. Anytime I plug the switch into the dock that is. I tried my other switch and the light stays on. Could that be a sign of anything?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi again, im currently "charging" the switch. Something I noted while plugging it into the dock, the dock light blinks on for a half second then goes out. Anytime I plug the switch into the dock that is. I tried my other switch and the light stays on. Could that be a sign of anything?
My understanding is if a Switch is in sleep mode or RCM, it will blink, so the dock behavior is inconclusive, but it suggests you might have AutoRCM installed.

Justerino

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My understanding is if a Switch is in sleep mode or RCM, it will blink, so the dock behavior is inconclusive, but it suggests you might have AutoRCM installed.
Ok so update - I plugged my switch into my computer after pressing power once, holding it for 12 seconds, and pressing again. It does not pick it up :( Should i do anything with my SD card? Last time I used it it was formatted and i lost practically everything. Was running atmos at the time.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so update - I plugged my switch into my computer after pressing power once, holding it for 12 seconds, and pressing again. It does not pick it up :( Should i do anything with my SD card? Last time I used it it was formatted and i lost practically everything. Was running atmos at the time.
You should be able to enter RCM and boot Hekate regardless of what's on the SD card or whether or not you have an SD card, so it is not the problem.

If you followed the dead battery/AutoRCM steps above exactly and they didn't work, you might want to try with a different USB cord and/or computer.

If it's not an AutoRCM/battery issue, and you're unable to enter Hekate, then it might be a hardware issue.

Reactions: Justerino

Justerino

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to enter RCM and boot Hekate regardless of what's on the SD card or whether or not you have an SD card, so it is not the problem.

If you followed the dead battery/AutoRCM steps above exactly and they didn't work, you might want to try with a different USB cord and/or computer.
Keep you posted

Justerino

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If it's not an AutoRCM/battery issue, and you're unable to enter Hekate, then it might be a hardware issue.
So after charging for a few hours, holding the power button for 15+ seconds, plugging it into my PC it still isnt recognized. An odd thing I attempted was plugging my phone to my switch and it said it was charging the unit (and draining my phone battery slowly) so maybe that means theres life in it yet? Im not sure what to try next x.x

EDIT: Tested something with both switches. The working switch - the settings on my phone i can change them USB preferences to make it a file transfer or charge. For potentially bricked switch - it is stuck on charge setting and cannot change :(

Last edited by Justerino,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after charging for a few hours, holding the power button for 15+ seconds, plugging it into my PC it still isnt recognized. An odd thing I attempted was plugging my phone to my switch and it said it was charging the unit (and draining my phone battery slowly) so maybe that means theres life in it yet? Im not sure what to try next x.x

EDIT: Tested something with both switches. The working switch - the settings on my phone i can change them USB preferences to make it a file transfer or charge. For potentially bricked switch - it is stuck on charge setting and cannot change :(
RCM drains the battery, so it is possible it's in RCM. Have you tried a different cord/different computer? Are you using TegraRcmGUI?

Justerino

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RCM drains the battery, so it is possible it's in RCM. Have you tried a different cord/different computer? Are you using TegraRcmGUI?
Ill have to try a different comp tomorrow since my laptops at work x.x and yes im using TegraRcmGUI

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country

did you hold Power while charging? not after charging

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried both. Update for today on laptop - still not recognized on Tegra >: i think im doomed
Do either of your computers recognize your backup Switch in RCM? If not, there's your problem. If they do, then you can try these amended steps:
  3. Plug the Switch directly into a wall outlet using a charger you know works with the Switch
  4. Let it sit for several hours or overnight
  5. Quickly plug the Switch into your PC
  6. Try sending a payload such as Hekate.

Justerino

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do either of your computers recognize your backup Switch in RCM? If not, there's your problem. If they do, then you can try these amended steps:
  3. Plug the Switch directly into a wall outlet using a charger you know works with the Switch
  4. Let it sit for several hours or overnight
  5. Quickly plug the Switch into your PC
  6. Try sending a payload such as Hekate.
G'mornin ~ yes my backup switch is recognized while my bricked one is not :( I'll try those steps. If it matters I let my switch charge all night (assuring the charger works on other devices first) but I'll try once again.

Also I know this may be an odd question considering it's a hacked switch but would sending it to Nintendo to get it "repaired" be of any use? I'm aware of the costs but would they be able to do anything not knowing it's homebrewed?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a