Hacking Help with pinouts for NAND flash

dbcopter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Also solder straight to the reader if you can, easier to prevent bridges and shorts.
Here's how I've been doing them lately.

Attachments

• 20140904_204826.jpg
    20140904_204826.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 229
  • Snap_1.jpg
    Snap_1.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 273

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bare wires are dangerous to use. It can ground/power/cross signals easily even if you try to be careful and tape off areas. Tape under and over the wires right by the soldering points in the 3DS to make sure other points on the board aren't getting touched. If you still can't get it to work then it seems it is on the SD side (assuming the wires aren't touching between the two ends). It is quite easy to solder to the wrong pins on an adapter card so that is a good reason to have a continuity tester around (touching the SD contact pins to the points soldered to on the 3DS to verify they are right). The last two possibilities are that the wires are too long (IIRC around 6 inches should be the max) or your SD card reader doesn't handle MMC cards properly.

gimpydingo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bare wires are dangerous to use. It can ground/power/cross signals easily even if you try to be careful and tape off areas. Tape under and over the wires right by the soldering points in the 3DS to make sure other points on the board aren't getting touched. If you still can't get it to work then it seems it is on the SD side (assuming the wires aren't touching between the two ends). It is quite easy to solder to the wrong pins on an adapter card so that is a good reason to have a continuity tester around (touching the SD contact pins to the points soldered to on the 3DS to verify they are right). The last two possibilities are that the wires are too long (IIRC around 6 inches should be the max) or your SD card reader doesn't handle MMC cards properly.

Thanks, just the ends of the wires are pretty well stripped, but they are not totally bare wires. My wires are also maybe 3 - 4 inches long max.

Could be the reader, but it states micro sd/MMCMicro and mini SD/SD/MMC.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. The pics made it look like totally bare wires.

That reader should be fine then.

Does your 3DS boot up normally when the SD adapter isn't plugged in?

gimpydingo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. The pics made it look like totally bare wires.

That reader should be fine then.

Does your 3DS boot up normally when the SD adapter isn't plugged in?

Yes, boots up just fine. When SD is in the reader then I get the blue screen. Just windows doesn't see the drive nor Win32 Disk Imager.

chrrox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had issues with usb 3 card readers i ended up using a cheapo one that plugs into the motherboard and read everything perfect. I used rosewill.

gimpydingo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME NOT TO FORMAT THE DRIVE IN WINDOWS!!!!????

Only kidding :)

Re-soldered and taped up the wires more. Got it working with the same SD reader. Thanks for all the help!!!!! The only issue is I torn the ribbon for the R bumper! Arghhh, hopefully I can get a new one or just buy a busted 3ds and strip it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof