Help with NDS rom translations

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by ChrisMims, Oct 17, 2009.

Oct 17, 2009
  1. ChrisMims
    OP

Banned ChrisMims Banned

United States
    Can anyone help give me a head start in NDS rom translations/text editing? I've already checked http://www.romhacking.net/start, but couldn't find anything to help me with the DS.

I'm a fast learner, and only need a little help to get started, b/c I usually understand things like that really easily. Could you use an example on how to translate something small, like what the player's mom says at the beginning of HG/SS? Please let me know if you you are willing to help me.

2. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    You've severely lowered your chance of getting any help by mentioning HG/SS.

3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    A) Pokemon is one of the easiest games to translate due to thenewpoketext. You don't need to do any hex editing with it.
    B) Don't start a new translation. We've got like 10 of them all doing the same thing. If you're going to translate, keep it to yourself and your buddies.
    C) Use thenewpoketext. You can find it via Google. It'll extract all the text in the game as an easy-to-use txt file and will also re-insert it into the game. I used it for some minor text changes in my crappy Pokemon Platinum hack.

4. ChrisMims
    OP

Banned ChrisMims Banned

United States
    Thanks. I actually was going to keep it to myself and me friends b/c of all of the translations going on. Thanks again for the quick response! [​IMG]

5. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    Use Magnius' Translation patch...If you're really gonna translate it on your own, you're just going to cause yourself confusion.

6. ChrisMims
    OP

Banned ChrisMims Banned

United States
    I know about Magnius' patch. I just want to do it myself. I'm getting really far! [​IMG] I didn't know it would be this easy [​IMG]

7. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    It's not easy at all...Patch this and that, translate this and that, copy and paste this and that...not easy at all. And if you're using any Online Translator, you're going to get Errors.

8. ChrisMims
    OP

Banned ChrisMims Banned

United States
    Nevermind. I seems easy, but it's a lot of work

9. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    It may seem to be easy, but for beginners with no knowledge about hacking and translating at all it may seem to be very hard. And yeah it's a shitload of hard work.

10. ChrisMims
    OP

Banned ChrisMims Banned

United States
    I can't patch the xml file to the msg.narc. I typed "patch ssd.xml" because my dialoge .xml file's name is "ssd.xml" and it doesn't patch it.