Hacking Help with HP SimpleSave 500GB

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I need some help with my new SimpleSave portable hard drive. When I use either USBLoader GX or Wiiflow, there are times that my drive stops loading and I have to unplug it and plug it again so it can resume loading. It's like said hard drive is put on sleep mode automatically sometimes. Is there a way to configure that hard drive so it never sleeps or something?

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot find it anywhere. Maybe the software that came with it could help, but I erased it and cannot find it either.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I have a 320GB version of the drive, and it works just fine, using the cable that came with it, no splitter or anything.

EDIT: Jussasec... I have an idea.

Try getting a splitter cable and plug the power one into a laptop or something. The laptop will tell it to keep loading or something, and the Wii will be fine! I think...

EDIT2: It also might help to use FAT32 or NTFS over WBFS, since I use NTFS for USB Loaders. Maybe the drive has better detection of when it's being read from that way.

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, I found an application called sdparm (Google it). So far I need to know the right command to disable the spindown on my drive. All I know is that the the STANDBY line is set to 1. Any ideas? I'm using Windows, by the way.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks like performance mode might be what you are after:

QUOTE said:
One disk vendor has a "performance mode" bit (PM) in the vendor specific unit attention mode page [0x0,0x0]. PM=0 is server mode (the default) while PM=1 is desktop mode. Desktop mode can be set (both current and saved values) with:
# sdparm --page=0 --set=2:7:1=1 --save --quiet /dev/sdd

http://sg.danny.cz/sg/sdparm.html#mozTocId786906

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, here's what I found. I have to use the following command:

Code:
sdparm --clear STANDBY -6 pd2

Before that, I have to use this command:

Code:
sdparm --command=start pd2

I keep getting the following message, however:

Code:
change_mode_page: failed setting page: Power condition

Any ideas?

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, here's what I discovered lately. I used HDDscan and discovered that my SimpleSave drive uses a WD disk. So is it possible to configure it using a WD manager? If so, what's the right one to use?

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone?
frown.gif

smash_brew

I may or may not have fallen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
are you using a current rev or either loader or cios. i thought that either the newer loaders or cios solved the spindown issue by sending calls to the hdd every few min. i could be wrong tho. my wd my book essentials drive doesn't spindown so i didn't really pay much attention to the issue.

MushGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm currently using Waninkoko's cIOS 249 rev20. Using USBloader GX and Wiiflow. Is there a way I can prevent spindowns from the Wii itself?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1