Hacking Help upgrading my O3DS Gateway setup.

ramar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello everyone, I've been out of the scene for quite some time, I bought my Gateway card some time after Smash 3DS came out, used it on my 9.2 console for some time using the go-gateway method and never bothered to look into different methods of booting.

I got busy with work and school but now I want to start playing 3DS again and I'm kinda lost since a lot of new methods for installing CFW and running GW have come out.
I know GW now supports A9LH, but I've heard it's not so good to use the GW method of installing, and I want to be as safe as possible while doing so.

My O3DS is on 9.2 USA, I have some eShop bought games, as well as the Ambassador games on my SD, I don't have an EmuNAND, and I also have some 3DS carts that I've now installed with the corresponding legit CIA, but haven't been able to copy those cart save files to the digitial version.
Those games are Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, but I'd also like to copy the gateway saves for Pokemon X and AS...

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great, since I kinda miss playing Pokemon online and wonder trading, and I'm also missing out on some recent games that need a FW greater than 9.2 like the new picross eShop games and some retail ones.

Thanks in advance!

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you do not have an emunand set up and are simply running gateway on the 9.2 system via browserhax (the go-gateway website) then you can start with Part 1 of Plailect's guide and simply treat it as if it is a standard 9.2 unhacked system (which is essentially is).

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Decrypt9)

In the table for picking the method for launching Decrypt9, scroll down to the "9.0.0 | 9.2.0" line and then I would suggest you use the "Decrypt9 (Browser)" link since you have an O3DS with a browser. It is simpler and faster (no need to set up homebrew launcher/cfw to get into Decrypt9.

edit:

As for saves, once you are done with the guide you should have your original nand/system contents (all installed games and saves, as well as your NNID) back with A9LH for launching your CFW of choice. I strongly suggest using Luma3ds for everyday needs and move away from gateway and .3ds files. Once you are at that point you can start looking into extracting the save data from the gateway .sav files and injecting them into your .cia saves. Its a fairly simple process, but I would take this one step at a time and get transitioned to A9LH first.

Last edited by Aroth,

ramar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you do not have an emunand set up and are simply running gateway on the 9.2 system via browserhax (the go-gateway website) then you can start with Part 1 of Plailect's guide and simply treat it as if it is a standard 9.2 unhacked system (which is essentially is).

In the table for picking the method for launching Decrypt9, scroll down to the "9.0.0 | 9.2.0" line and then I would suggest you use the "Decrypt9 (Browser)" link since you have an O3DS with a browser. It is simpler and faster (no need to set up homebrew launcher/cfw to get into Decrypt9.

edit:

As for saves, once you are done with the guide you should have your original nand/system contents (all installed games and saves, as well as your NNID) back with A9LH for launching your CFW of choice. I strongly suggest using Luma3ds for everyday needs and move away from gateway and .3ds files. Once you are at that point you can start looking into extracting the save data from the gateway .sav files and injecting them into your .cia saves. Its a fairly simple process, but I would take this one step at a time and get transitioned to A9LH first.
Thanks for the info, I just read the guide and downloaded all the corresponding files for my system and will now proceed to use it.

I think I read another guide that let's you install luma and also keep the gateway, I think I'm gonna keep using the gateway with the current games it has, and all newer games installed as CIA if possible.

And I will worry about the saves later...

ramar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I just did the whole guide and got everything installed correctly, but now all my stuff that was on the SD is not showing on the home menu, all my ambassador games that were on different folders are out of the folders and my GBA games are gone, along with some games bought from the store. And I just checked the street plaza, and it's telling me I have no Mii saved...

Any idea of what might have happened? I did everything according to the guide, and the only issue I had was when trying to go from 2.1 to the latest firmware using the system update from settings, it kept giving me an error so I had to use the 9.2 ctrtransfer method.

I backed up the SD card before starting the whole process, and also saved all the files specified on the guide, if that helps.

ramar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

edit:

I don't know what happened, Mii Maker was showing all my Miis in the rotating logo before I opened it, and when I did, it took me to the create a new Mii page, and all my previous Miis are gone, I noticed my games still have their saves since, but it seems all saved data for the system apps is gone.

Also, the FBI, Luma updater and HBlauncher cias that were installed as part of the guide are no longer on my menu.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I think I never set up a NNID before.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did the whole guide and got everything installed correctly, but now all my stuff that was on the SD is not showing on the home menu, all my ambassador games that were on different folders are out of the folders and my GBA games are gone, along with some games bought from the store. And I just checked the street plaza, and it's telling me I have no Mii saved...

Any idea of what might have happened? I did everything according to the guide, and the only issue I had was when trying to go from 2.1 to the latest firmware using the system update from settings, it kept giving me an error so I had to use the 9.2 ctrtransfer method.

I backed up the SD card before starting the whole process, and also saved all the files specified on the guide, if that helps.

I don't know what happened, Mii Maker was showing all my Miis in the rotating logo before I opened it, and when I did, it took me to the create a new Mii page, and all my previous Miis are gone, I noticed my games still have their saves since, but it seems all saved data for the system apps is gone.

Also, the FBI, Luma updater and HBlauncher cias that were installed as part of the guide are no longer on my menu.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I think I never set up a NNID before.

Part of the process involves making a NAND backup before starting, and restoring it via hourglass9 once you are done. This nand backup includes your installed tickets and the proper keys for decrypting the SD contents (as well as reading from the proper folder on the SD card). My first suspicion would be that you failed to restore the proper NAND backup once you were done, which would explain the missing GBA and store titles. However it should also have resulted the Ambassador games disappearing as well, so I'm not 100% sure. It is possible that the lack of an NNID before-hand MIGHT have something to do with it, but my first guess would be that you either restored the wrong NAND backup (meaning the system is looking in the wrong folder for its game data), or you somehow didn't restore ALL of the data to the SD card after you were done. The fact that only some games are missing and that your home menu layout (the folders) is borked strongly suggests that data is missing from the SD card or possibly corrupted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1