Hacking Help Understanding the Nintendo/Contents/registered SD folder

grcd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a very specific question.

I have two SD cards; one is 256GB and the other is 512GB. The 512GB card was produced by making an identical bit for bit image of the 256GB card and then transporting this image file onto the 512GB card. A partition manager was used to then resize it to make use of the full available size.

The outcome was two identical cards, with the exact same set of installed software, homebrew applications, etc. I have had no problems with this.

However, I wish to diverge the content between the two cards. Namely, I wish to hold different games/applications in each, and to switch between the two using the RCM Loader/Rekado on Android.

According to switchbrew the Switch SD filesystem uses the Nintendo folder and its subfolders in order to tell the Switch which software is installed. In particular, the folder:

Nintendo/save has two files (8...0 and 8...124) of which the latter "is the NCM module save describing what contents are installed to the SD card."

I understand this explanation to say that the "8...124" file is a sort of 'catalog' that informs the Switch of the installed content. It is also my understanding that the important folder is:

<SD ROOT>/Nintendo/Contents/registered

This is where software/applications are actually installed to, in the form of hexadecimal named folders, which each represents an installed game or application -- including any homebrew applications that can be installed as an .nsp file through tinfoil or goldleaf.

Now, it is my understanding and experience that one can simply delete the contents of this folder. The Switch should, in theory, 'remember' that these titles have been installed (as the relevant information will still be in the "8...124" file in the Nintendo/save folder. However, won't that screw up this cataloguing if I proceed to install different games on this card wiped of the previously installed content -- and/or continue installing different content onto the other card? The two catalog files will eventually hold different and possibly conflicting information.

My intention is, as I said, to install different software/games/applications on each card. Which is the optimal way to go about doing this? If it is as simple as deleting the contents of the Nintendo/Contents/registered folder then I guess this is easy and I need not worry any further. Otherwise can someone help with this?

Furthermore, is there any way to identify which folder represents which game/software/application? If one wishes to uninstall only an update, is it as simple as deleting the relevant "xxx....nca" sub-folder from within registered?

Last edited by grcd,

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
If your remove stuff from the SD card directly the Switch will still show the titles but they will fail to open or say they are corrupted.

In order to achieve what you want I would go about creating a second emunand, and then launch it with the other SD card.

You'll eventually wear the SD card port so I'd recommend getting a big card instead of having several, and then have as many emunands or other bootable stuff (like ubuntu or android) in the same place. But that's just me, other people might suggest otherwise.

roks0

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So, i just got my switch with atmosphere running. And i have been installing/uninstalling some games. But i noticed that im missing some space. For example i just uninstalled sonic frontiers (which was about 10gb) and now it shows that i only have 4gb free.
i was trying to figure out which folders/files from emummc/raw1/nintendo/contents/registered belong to what games, in order to delete the ones that are no longer installed, and i stumbled upon this unanswered question. maybe someone has any info on this

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, i just got my switch with atmosphere running. And i have been installing/uninstalling some games. But i noticed that im missing some space. For example i just uninstalled sonic frontiers (which was about 10gb) and now it shows that i only have 4gb free.
i was trying to figure out which folders/files from emummc/raw1/nintendo/contents/registered belong to what games, in order to delete the ones that are no longer installed, and i stumbled upon this unanswered question. maybe someone has any info on this
This ancient thread is about something else altogether. I’ have so,e follow up questions for you over here:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.488277/page-1909#post-10076793

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Skelletonike first time I hear of stellar blade