Hacking HELP! Ps3 downgrade... Might brick...

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
OP
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
So I decided to Downgrade my PS3 for the hell of it, just to test it out. Don't give a shit about backups just curious about it.

I am at the step where you put the flash drive in, and wait for it to blink green then turn itself off...

but it is not turning off. It is supposed to take about 3-4 minutes and it has been about 20. Is it safe to turn it off? I am afraid it will brick it is I take it out or turn it off right now...

Please, anybody who has an answer.

PlayStation 3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Schlupi said:
So I decided to Downgrade my PS3 for the hell of it, just to test it out. Don't give a shit about backups just curious about it.

I am at the step where you put the flash drive in, and wait for it to blink green then turn itself off...

but it is not turning off. It is supposed to take about 3-4 minutes and it has been about 20. Is it safe to turn it off? I am afraid it will brick it is I take it out or turn it off right now...

Please, anybody who has an answer.

Hi, I've read a comment somewhere on PS3-Hacks.com where the guy had the same problem. It was a problem with his USB Stick. It was incompatible. The guy turned off his PS3 while it was still blinking and nothing happened to him. When he turned it back on, it wasn't downgraded though.

Another guy had the same problem. But it wasn't a problem with his USB Stick. He just put it in the wrong port on his PS3. The right port is the one on the right hand side if you are facing the PS3.

So yeah, turn off at your own risk. Probably nothing will happen like the other 2 people.
But like I said...at your own risk!

Servdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might not be bricked. When you turn on the ps3 with the downgrade files on a device in the right usb slot does the green light stay on? If it does you are probably still in factory service mode and still can possibly run an install.

I recently did a downgrade and it didn't complete in 3-4 minutes. I waited about 45 minutes and finally decided to pull the plug. Once I pulled the plug the ps3 would only light green for a second and then turned red with no video without the downgrade files inserted. I thought I was screwed. I noticed that when I did insert the downgrade files the green light would stay on but no video would display.

I thought perhaps my device was faulty, so I put the downgrade files on a Seagate FreeAgent 1TB drive instead, and after three minutes of waiting the green light began to blink and then the ps3 shut down, as is supposed to occur after a successful downgrade. When I turned the ps3 back on it started up fine and video was displayed. So, my advice is to at least try to downgrade using another drive and see if that solves your issue. Good Luck.

Edit: not that it really matters in your case, but if you have a phat ps3 you will lose blu-ray capibilities when you downgrade. Hopefully a fix is made available shorty, but just giving you a heads up.

mandong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try reformating your USB stick also. The same thing happened to me while downgrading. I tried all USB sticks I have but it didn't work. I reformatted my Imation 2GB (not quick format), did the whole procedure again and then it worked.

tiite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Try putting the (Lv2diag.self) from file two onto the USB stick then repeat the procedure again.
All this does is get you out of factory/service mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill