Homebrew Help please ! Rednand and other questions

Alejobeja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi, what's up guys... last night I started a long process to install homebrew launcher and the Rednand into my Wii U, and I have several questions, I've been doing some research on the matter but to be honest I'm a noob, so at this point I'm confused... I'll try to be clear:
1.like I said before, I did the process and took me like 4 hrs to get a folder called SYSNand on my Wii U menu and from there using the homebrew launcher.
2. I used Wii U helper software to download Wii U games and their dlc's and updates. (I downloaded most of them)
3. I'm having problems transferring those games on my pc to and external USB hard drive that I bought for this.(I tried copying the games to the folder /install on the sd (Same used to back up the Wii U files and all that), using wup installer but on the screen it doesn't show the titles like I was expecting to do.
4. The sd that i used, do I have to keep it exclusively and use it everytime for the Wii U ?? (It's my girls sd and I have to give it back to her eventually) and I'm scared of formatting it again (I'm afraid to brick the console)
5. Is the process that I made the overall best process to achieve what I want (installing those Wii U helper games that I downloaded to the USB hdd that I bought exclusively for the Wii U)

Again, I apologize for asking questions that were probably addressed before but I'm too new to this and I'm afraid of messing my console.

Thanks for any help provided

D

Deleted User

I'm having problems transferring those games on my pc to and external USB hard drive that I bought for this.(I tried copying the games to the folder /install on the sd (Same used to back up the Wii U files and all that), using wup installer but on the screen it doesn't show the titles like I was expecting to do.
If you're using WUPInstaller Y-Mod, you can simply use the up and down buttons on that little plus-shaped pad to cycle through the folders in sd:/install.

The sd that i used, do I have to keep it exclusively and use it everytime for the Wii U ?? (It's my girls sd and I have to give it back to her eventually) and I'm scared of formatting it again (I'm afraid to brick the console)
You do not need to have the SD card in your console in order to launch your installed games, however the DLC seems like it would need signature patches enabled, a thing that can only be achieved using CFW. For this, you will either need to install Haxchi (which requires the purchase of a Nintendo DS Virtual Console title from the eShop) or keep your SD Card inserted so that you can launch HBL and Mocha CFW, which are based on files stored on the SD card.

Before you give it back to her, you may want to remove the stuff in your install folder so that she has space for her stuff (Wii U games can be quite large).

Is the process that I made the overall best process to achieve what I want
One minor nitpick that I have is that you probably don't need redNAND. All of the answers above assume that you are using sysNAND, because in order to launch redNAND, you need to be using Mocha CFW. It is possible to do everything you can do in redNAND on a sysNAND CFW. Haxchi allows this, and Mocha can be configured to run without redNAND.

Reactions: Alejobeja

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're using WUPInstaller Y-Mod, you can simply use the up and down buttons on that little plus-shaped pad to cycle through the folders in sd:/install.

You do not need to have the SD card in your console in order to launch your installed games, however the DLC seems like it would need signature patches enabled, a thing that can only be achieved using CFW. For this, you will either need to install Haxchi (which requires the purchase of a Nintendo DS Virtual Console title from the eShop) or keep your SD Card inserted so that you can launch HBL and Mocha CFW, which are based on files stored on the SD card.

Before you give it back to her, you may want to remove the stuff in your install folder so that she has space for her stuff (Wii U games can be quite large).

One minor nitpick that I have is that you probably don't need redNAND. All of the answers above assume that you are using sysNAND, because in order to launch redNAND, you need to be using Mocha CFW. It is possible to do everything you can do in redNAND on a sysNAND CFW. Haxchi allows this, and Mocha can be configured to run without redNAND.
All the above is true but you missed the most important thing that he will need the sd card for rednand lol

Alejobeja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Great thanks for the help !!! I'm using the wup installer (gx2) and so far I'm transferring the games with their dlc's and updates with no problems, so that is done, now my question is:
Im noticed that the sd (64gb) it's only showing like 30ish gb of free space, I'm assuming it's because the original content on my Wii U is there hidden, I have to give her back the sd after I transfer all the games that I have, but I'm afraid to do it so because all of my Wii U is there, so, how can I do this ??? Do I need that sd permanently in the Wii U ???? Anyway to avoid having the sd at all times ????

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Great thanks for the help !!! I'm using the wup installer (gx2) and so far I'm transferring the games with their dlc's and updates with no problems, so that is done, now my question is:
Im noticed that the sd (64gb) it's only showing like 30ish gb of free space, I'm assuming it's because the original content on my Wii U is there hidden, I have to give her back the sd after I transfer all the games that I have, but I'm afraid to do it so because all of my Wii U is there, so, how can I do this ??? Do I need that sd permanently in the Wii U ???? Anyway to avoid having the sd at all times ????
The rednand is what is taking up the rest of the storage space because without the sd card rednand won't work.

Alejobeja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The rednand is what is taking up the rest of the storage space because without the sd card rednand won't work.
Anyway to avoid having the sd on the console ??? My main goal is to keep using my games without using the sd because I need to give it back to her soon. Thanks buddy :)

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok you need to first of all format the sd card to get rid of rednand as for one it's an outdated way of installing games and for two rednand is only really useful to homebrew devs. Next follow this guide to install games to the sysmenu once you have installed all the games you want you won't need the sd card any more doing it this way. http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-noob-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.466006/

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Alejobeja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok you need to first of all format the sd card to get rid of rednand as for one it's an outdated way of installing games and for two rednand is only really useful to homebrew devs. Next follow this guide to install games to the sysmenu once you have installed all the games you want you won't need the sd card any more doing it this way. http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-noob-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.466006/
I will give it a shot.... I read the guide but if I understand right, if I format the sd before transferring the content back to NAND I Wii in trouble right ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74nTzbgDGWM