help picking a mod chip :-)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by canuckcub, Jun 26, 2010.

Jun 26, 2010
  1. canuckcub
    OP

Newcomer canuckcub Advanced Member

United States
    so about a year and a half ago i bricked my wii with a wad which had a larger small channel image then the wii allowed so i could only get to the safety screen and no further. this was before bootmii and all that fun stuff. so i bought myself a 360 and let my wii die in a dusty grave.

But I am going to atemp to bring her back from the dead. I doubt that my twilight hack is in the saved files. so i just need help picking a modchip ... keep in mind ive never really soldered but im sure i can figure it out i just dont want to if i dont have to.

basicly i want to wipe my wii clean and fix it all up :-D

2. Parablank

Member Parablank GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do you have BootMii? You could unbrick using it.

3. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    You know that a modchip only helps in about 5% of actual happening bricks? Maybe you have a misconception on what a modchip does, on a wii it just makes a DVD-R being recognised as if it was a retail disc. A pressed retail disc that would have homebrew on it wouldn't be booted by most Wiis, because it would be unsigned and considered "unsafe" because of it.

4. canuckcub
    OP

United States
    Umm like i said this was before bootmii and i do understand what a modchip does, if i could boot directly to hombrew channel or boot a remove wad program i could get rid of the bad wad. i thought a modchip could boot directly to hombrew channel if need be

5. canuckcub
    OP

United States
  6. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    If you have system menu 3.3 or higher, you NEED to have patched IOS installed, or the modchip can't boot homebrew.

7. canuckcub
    OP

United States
    i have 3.4 ... so if i put a mod chip in then us Savemiifree and Wii BackUp Disk v1.31 i cant delete everything off the stupid thing ?