Hacking Help needed! Save Data Overwrite Corruption on 1000.

Phan0verl0rd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I currently dug out my Old PSP 1000 and updated the firmware to 6.60 PRO CFW after fetching a new Battery of Amazon to revive the system ( Old system battery was flat dead)
I am not too sure what's is going wrong so allow me to explain my situation.

I currently have ISO backups from my old ripped games on what seems to be an official Sony 8GB Memory Stick Pro Duo. The games I have tested Persona 3 Portable (P3P), Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep (KHBBS) and Fate Unlimited Codes (JP), all work and runs well from what I have . The problem I am currently having that the system has trouble with handling save data, especially when overwriting saves , which I have a habit of avoiding for the very same reason, but cannot avoid many games limit you on the availabile Saves per Memory Stick, which I currently only have one with me at the moment.

The bizarre thing is that Saving during a game cause the file below a save file to become corrupt and then saving on top of that file slot again (which by then shows blank save slot below) causes things the PSP to recognise BOTH save slots as Corrupt. This is REALLY annoying as I usually have accompanied the top 5 save slots as my dedicated saves and the rest as back-ups. The same applies if I save on top of file lower down the list except this time a file above gets corrupted. This is mainly the case with P3P and KH BBS. Peace Walker doesn't have any issues, and Fate Unlimited Codes uses Auto Saves for one File which hasn't currupt yet.

My conclusion is that this problem stems from three things that I cannot approve as of yet

1): It could be related to the New Battery, as this issue started after getting the new battery, but I don't know how to test this theory out without using another untested battery (official ones are hard to find)

2): It could be related to the Memory Stick giving up after 4 years of continuous use ( again official mem sticks are hard to find)

3): Maybe its a sign that the PSP is showing its age?

Anyways, if anyone strolls by here, please offer some guidance. Also, I tried extracting the corrupt data but it says that the directory for the file is missing / corrupt on W10 via USB data transfer.

I know this is a stressful first post, but I had literally nowhere to turn to as Reddit keeps rejecting similar posts.

Thanks in advance.

kaymynd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi

I currently dug out my Old PSP 1000 and updated the firmware to 6.60 PRO CFW after fetching a new Battery of Amazon to revive the system ( Old system battery was flat dead)
I am not too sure what's is going wrong so allow me to explain my situation.

I currently have ISO backups from my old ripped games on what seems to be an official Sony 8GB Memory Stick Pro Duo. The games I have tested Persona 3 Portable (P3P), Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep (KHBBS) and Fate Unlimited Codes (JP), all work and runs well from what I have . The problem I am currently having that the system has trouble with handling save data, especially when overwriting saves , which I have a habit of avoiding for the very same reason, but cannot avoid many games limit you on the availabile Saves per Memory Stick, which I currently only have one with me at the moment.

The bizarre thing is that Saving during a game cause the file below a save file to become corrupt and then saving on top of that file slot again (which by then shows blank save slot below) causes things the PSP to recognise BOTH save slots as Corrupt. This is REALLY annoying as I usually have accompanied the top 5 save slots as my dedicated saves and the rest as back-ups. The same applies if I save on top of file lower down the list except this time a file above gets corrupted. This is mainly the case with P3P and KH BBS. Peace Walker doesn't have any issues, and Fate Unlimited Codes uses Auto Saves for one File which hasn't currupt yet.

My conclusion is that this problem stems from three things that I cannot approve as of yet

1): It could be related to the New Battery, as this issue started after getting the new battery, but I don't know how to test this theory out without using another untested battery (official ones are hard to find)

2): It could be related to the Memory Stick giving up after 4 years of continuous use ( again official mem sticks are hard to find)

3): Maybe its a sign that the PSP is showing its age?

Anyways, if anyone strolls by here, please offer some guidance. Also, I tried extracting the corrupt data but it says that the directory for the file is missing / corrupt on W10 via USB data transfer.

I know this is a stressful first post, but I had literally nowhere to turn to as Reddit keeps rejecting similar posts.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds to me like the problem started after you updated, it could be files from the previous cfw.
I would recommend you backup your games, homebrew, themes, etc. Anything important to you, not the whole mem stick contents, then format the mem stick and copy back your stuff.

Last edited by kaymynd,

Phan0verl0rd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds to me like the problem started after you updated, it could be files from the previous cfw.
I would recommend you backup your games, homebrew, themes, etc. Anything important to you, not the whole mem stick contents, then format the mem stick and copy back your stuff.

Hi

To clarify about what ,I meant make 6.60 CFW permanent on the System. PRO CFW has a feature where it allows you to mask the CFW under an OFW 6.60 so you could connect to PSN with some games that needed it.​

The only difference is that instead of reactivating the system to boot into CFW, the system automatically boots into CFW when turned on. So I'd really doubt that would be the case. I will try to revert the update and see what happens. Also, reformatting the Memory card didn't help. This may indicate the culprit is the Memory Card?

Anyways thanks for the help.

Phan0verl0rd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Hi

Update on the situation. After trying to extract my Save Data to my W10 PC, the ENTIRE folder of Save Data has become corrupted and cannot transfer over.
At this point, I am 100% blaming the memory card for being faulty.
According to some minor research online. Each Memory has a Finate number of Writes?! ( Source from a Game Stack Exchange froum I can't link out too as my account lvl is too low). If that is the case, how do I find out the number of writes the memory stick is able to perform before kicking the bucket?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello. :)

If it is an real Sony Memory stick THAT is strange.Please would you be so kind and upload a photo from it (both sides of it please) the we can 100% sure.

We know about "clones" from Memory cards and it it is one,then it would not be so outlandish that the stick was the cause of the problem.

Thank you.:)

Phan0verl0rd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. :)

If it is an real Sony Memory stick THAT is strange.Please would you be so kind and upload a photo from it (both sides of it please) the we can 100% sure.

Hey, thanks for replying.

Here's the photo of the Memory Stick, apologize for the lightening.

To confirm the Back of the stick reads :

MS-HX8A
G912L2L
DUDH20SS000
IMG_20190601_205235.jpg

IMG_20190601_205106.jpg
]

Last edited by Phan0verl0rd,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you.:)

I have the same one and size since two months (for PSP-1004) ,don´t frighten me,my friend.:rofl:

Did you try it in an Memory Stick Card Reader or with an Adaptor on your PC or direct with USB cable from ypur PSP ?

Did you try the Sony Memory Card Tool for recovering your Data ? It maybe tells you also if your Stick has problems.:unsure:

https://www.sony.at/electronics/support/downloads/00014735
(it requires data from you and your card)

It is strange but sadly not excluded that the Stick is the "wrongdoer".

Good luck.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released