1. MeltedIcecream

OP MeltedIcecream Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hello, I was interested in hacking my 3ds and installing Luma. I was using the tutorial over on 3ds.hacks.guide. and I had to switch over to the legacy method after installing boot9strap since I could not get the unSAFE mode to work on my device. Things were then running smoothly again until I had to do a "system update" and needed to do a CTRTransfer since my 3ds wouldn't perform the update. In the CTRTransfer section of the website, I ran into problems, again, with my 3ds not booting up Godmode9. At this point, if I turned on my 3ds regularly everything would work fine, but if I held start while turning my console on to boot Godmode9, I would just have 2 black screens. I took the SD card out and tried to turn my device on without anything in the slot, and it will not turn on. The blue light just fades on and off briefly while both screens stay black. The main issue is, since I didn't get to fully install and boot all the CFW's from the tutorial, Luma included, most of the solutions I have found online won't work for my 3ds. Does anyone have a solution? I am kinda nervous about messing with the SD card too much on my own for fear of messing things up even more to the point that my 3ds won't even turn on at all. Any help or advice at all is greatly appreciated!

2. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina

Germany
    GodMode9 not starting is a know issue. Put a second payload (older GodMode9 version or whatever firm file) into SD:/luma/payloads

Not turning on with "blue LED on → fading off" means B9S cannot find boot.firm on the SD. Quickest thing to try is putting an empty, FAT32 formatted SD containing nothing but boot.firm (latest Luma3DS) into the console.
    1. Backup your data on main SD
    2. Try Quadruple Format
    3. Check empty SD with h2testw, F3 or F3X to see if the SD has any issues.
    Good luck!

yuyuyup, tfocosta and alexander1970 like this.
  3. MeltedIcecream

OP MeltedIcecream Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Thank you for your help! I still couldn't get GodMode9 to work. I did the 3 steps below and there are no problems with my SD card. By putting boot.firm onto a different SD card, I could get my 3ds to turn on and work - so that is a big relief in one area. However, my 3ds still won't turn on (blue light flashes on and off) when there is no SD card in the device, or if any SD card does not have the boot.firm on it. At this point, I am more concerned with getting my 3ds back to how it was before I tried to hack into it. I figured if I can do that, maybe I can spend some time researching more and figuring out where I went wrong and try rehacking later if I really want to. Is there a way I could fix this so my 3ds turns on without boot.firm on an SD card?

4. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

United Kingdom
    1. Power off your device
    2. Launch GodMode9 by holding (Start) during boot
    3. If you are prompted to create an essential files backup, press (A) to do so, then press (A) to continue once it has completed
    4. If you are prompted to fix the RTC date&time, press (A) to do so, then set the date and time, then press (A) to continue
    5. Press (Home) to bring up the action menu
    6. Select “Scripts…”
    7. Select “GM9Megascript”
    8. Select “Scripts from Plailect’s Guide”
    9. Select “Setup Luma3DS to CTRNAND”
    10. When prompted, press (A) to proceed
    11. Press (A) to unlock SysNAND (lvl1) writing, then input the key combo given
    12. Press (A) to continue
    You can now boot the 3ds without the sd card

5. MeltedIcecream

OP MeltedIcecream Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Whenever I try to launch Godmode9 it just gives me 2 black screens. Any ideas?

6. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

United Kingdom
    KleinesSinchen and yuyuyup like this.
  7. MeltedIcecream

OP MeltedIcecream Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    That did it! I got it to work. Thank you!

AmandaRose and KleinesSinchen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - needed, messed,