Help me please get my GC controller to work with Project 64

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by RemixDeluxe, Jan 4, 2013.

1. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Member RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    My Magic Box arrived today. After opening it up I installed the driver from the disk that was included. I also have Xpadder on my PC if that helps, I used it to see if my controller is recognized at all and it can clearly see all button outputs on the controller (L and R goes stuck for some reason.)

Do I use Xpadder with Project 64 somehow or is it not needed at all? Is there a guide I should follow to get the controller working with it.

2. Catastrophic

Member Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Iceland
    Does Project64s control configuration detect the controller? You should be able to assign buttons as you feel like from there.

3. RemixDeluxe
    OP

United States
    So what your saying is I dont even need Xpadder or any other programs alongside the emulator? So is Xpadder just used for individual PC games then?

4. Catastrophic

Member Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Iceland
    I personally don't own a MagicBox but if Windows detects the controller correctly then it should show up in input configuration. In Project64, go to "Options" -> "Configure Controller Plugin" and see what Game Devices are available.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    It depends on whether or not the controller is detected in Project64. As mentioned by Catastrophic, if it's detected by Windows as a controller then the emulator should detect it just fine.

Xpadder is generally used to map controller buttons to keyboard keys for use in individual games. If Project64 doesn't detect your controller, you could use Xpadder to map buttons to keyboard keys and it'd essentially work the same way.

6. RemixDeluxe
    OP

United States
    I got a problem. Project 64 detects the controller just fine however when I click setup the program stops responding and crashes (tried 5 times already). Should I try Xpadder now if it cant be done by normal means?

7. RemixDeluxe
    OP

United States
    I wasnt able to get the controller to work through normal means so I used Xpadder and set the controller on Project 64 to keyboard and now everything works perfectly. Thank you guys for the help.