Help me pick a PSP!

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by lostreverie, Dec 21, 2009.

Dec 21, 2009

Help me pick a PSP! by lostreverie at 5:21 PM (1,607 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. lostreverie
    OP

Newcomer lostreverie Advanced Member

United States
    It seems like the PSP-2000 model is the one to go with, being lighter and being able to have custom firmware easily installed. But are there reasons to go for the 1000? Or is there an easy way to tell (just by looking) if a 3000 model can be hacked? I'm looking around these forums and it seems like the 3000 is only sort of hackable and only on earlier firmwares (which could be hard to find), so it seems like it might not be worth the trouble.

2. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Don't get a 3000, get either the 1000 or one of the earlier versions of the 2000 which uses the older motherboards. (I have no idea which ones though, I'm not an expert)

3. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    If your looking for a 3000 go to this thread http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=191043
    If its a 2000, they are like 50/50 i would suggest getting a pre-owned 2K
    if its a 1000, they are 100% hackable

V3 motherboard (on some 2000 and on all 3000) only can be semi-hackable, that means once you have turned the PSP off, you have to hack it all over again. Also if the firmware is above 5.03 you will not be able to hack it at all.

4. soulfire

Member soulfire gear... secando

Netherlands
    go 2000

cheap easy and you will love it

there is really no difference between 3000 and 2000 only slightly better screen and microphone but that is not worth the extra money you pay for it

so go 2000

5. lostreverie
    OP

United States
    So there are no downsides to getting a 3000 if the firmware is below 5.5? If that's the case I'll look around for a deal and let price be my guide.

6. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    3000 are not fully hackable..

7. soulfire

Member soulfire gear... secando

Netherlands
    jep it needs to be below 5.5

but why should you ?

just buy games

the game makers work hard for their games so plz if you decide to put cfw on it.

BUY the games you enjoyed

8. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I'm hunting for a PSP as well, so I'll lend some of my info to you.

I'd go with a PSP 1000. They're 100% hackable (right?), so you can buy one in confidence without having to worry about motherboards and the like.

You'll probably also need a Pandora battery to reset the firmware to an earlier, hackable version. You can get a really cheap Pandora from Dealextreme for $7. However, assuming you're US-based (according to your flag), if you've got cash to spend, you can buy one from ModChipCentral.com for about $25. Sure, it's more than 3x the price of DX, but they're a lot quicker. They ship from Winnpeg (which is like northeastern Canada, or is my geography brain farting?) and they delivered my R4 (which I bought from them) within a week. And I live in New Jersey.

You'll also need a decent sized memory stick. Sony brand ones are the most reliable, so you may even want to consider getting a crappy-sized one just purely for the hacking, as some of the non-branded ones don't work with it (well, I think). Then you can either buy a different memory stick (price varies depending on the brand) or you can buy a memory stick MicroSD adaptor and buy a giant sized MicroSD card. That's a good solution if you use a flashcart on your DS and are looking for a PSP.

Personally, my plans so far are...

- PSP 1000: $100 (at Gamestop, refurbished)
    - Pandora battery: $25 (I'm an impatient bastard)
    - Sony 4GB Memory stick (which can fit roughly 3 games, I think): $20.

So around $150 overall, probably a little more. And seeing as I have around $190 to spend, I may consider a bigger memory stick or buying some official PSP games. Or I could go with Dealextreme and buy some PSP games to wait out the shipping of the Pandora.

9. nico445

Member nico445 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    well i went for a second hand psp 2000 (for 100 euro's 6 months old with case 2 gb ms and gta lcs)
    and got lucky because it was hackable. if your looking for a psp 2000 ask or look at the datecode behind the battery if its 8b or lower it is hackable if its 8c or higher it's unhackable.

10. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    Good plan, I got a Sandisk 4Gb works just as good as the Sony brands.
    **you can fit more than 3 games** Especially if they are CSO's I've got 4GB' and I've had as many as 9 on there at once.

11. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    I haven't had any problems at all using a CR-5400 Fake Memory Stick Pro Duo. I have 2 of them (4GB x 2) in each so 2 x 8GB
    and they work great. The only catch is that I wouldn't count on removing them from the slots as the CR-5400 is incredibly thin. I just thought
    I'd throw this out there as I know that the sony magic-gate cards can be a bit expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/PhotoFast-CR-5400-Mi...l/dp/B001I0T92Q These are worth considering as well if you want to save some money
    You can also get 32 GB of Micro-SD memory (2 x 16GB) in one card which is pretty much all you'd ever need for games and video in my opinion.

I have a PSP-1000(1) as well and I haven't had any problems with it. So you should know that you're making a great choice.

12. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    shoot for $20 you can get a 8gb http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_3_10?url...efix=ms+pro+duo

13. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    go for the 2000

14. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    I got an old 1000 from a friend I'd be willing to sell.

15. lostreverie
    OP

United States
    Looking around it sounds like the 3000 definitely isn't the way to go. Old 2000 would be nice, though since I don't plan on carrying it around much anyway, it doesn't matter too much.

OBJ3KTION, you can send me a PM if you want about the PSP. I'm probably in no position to buy right now, having spent a lot preparing for Christmas, but maybe a lot of people will decide to give me cash this year.

Man, too bad nobody's fixed up the PSP Go. 16GB of internal storage in your jacket pocket... that thing is just begging to be hacked!

16. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Sony did a good job with the PSP Go, and yes people are trying to hack it as we speak.

We just have crappy hackers compared to Team Twiizers and Waninkoko

17. Shardnax

Member Shardnax GBAtemp Regular

United States

Themuddaload beat me to it, but, Amazon is probably your best bet for memory sticks. You may consider getting one of the microSD MSPD's because you could use the microSD's for a DS or the PSP that way.

Are the 16gb of internal storage worth not being able to use UMDs or the fact that it is just a shell with loose parts?

18. pcmanrules

Member pcmanrules GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    I just went through this same decision about a month ago, what i did was get a used 2000 form EB and asked the to show me it first and i choose the one with the lowest OFW (3.41 i think it was). I ended up with one of the first revisions that can make pandoa batteries! I just got myself a PhotoFast-5400 and really like it. I did a install of CFW using CFWE.

Defiantly go for 2000, just make sure you can return it and go try one from another branch of the store.

19. lostreverie
    OP

United States
    Yeah I will definitely try to find an older PSP 2000. Everything I've read implies that if the PSP Go is ever hackable, it will just be kind of hackable. And it doesn't seem like there's any dedicated "team" working on making that happen anytime soon. Time to start looking through used game stores.

Thanks everyone for the advice!