Help me Consolidate two SD cards into one

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by ekolimits, Mar 17, 2014.

1. ekolimits
    OP

ekolimits GBAtemp Regular

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    N.J.
    First off, why is this so hard? Everywhere I look it says to drag and drop and done but the Animal Crossing save is not there...

Ok I have a 2GB card with Animal Crossing on it and a 4GB with Bravely Default. Obviously a stupid setup so I purchased a 32GB card to consolidate. I copied the Bravely default first and the save file is fine but copied the Animal crossing too and didnt work.

Everything was a drag and drop and I am aware of parent folders and such so I am pretty sure I placed everything as it should... It even told me to overwrite some files and I allowed it.

Is there an Easy way for me to add just the Animal Crossing save file to my 32GB card that has the Bravely Default game on it? I redownloaded animal crossing to that card and now only need the save file.

2. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    you could copy the Bravely Default game to your computer, then clone the 2GB to the 32GB card,then extend the partition to fill the card, then copy the game to it.

steps:
    download driveimage XML and EaseUS Partition Manager and install them (MAKE SURE TO UNCHECK ALL BUNDLED SOFTWARE INCLUDED WITH EaseUS Partition Manager)
    http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
    http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

copy the "Nintendo 3DS" folder to your computer (from the 32GB SD card)
    --IMPORTANT

backup SD card drive to a image (the 2GB SD card)
    --open driveimage XML

1. click backup
    2. click on SD card drive letter
    3. click Next
    4. leave alone (you can change the directory the backup image is copied to tho)
    5. click Next, then let finish

6. now put in the 32 GB SD card
    7. open driveimage XML
    8. click restore
    9. select the backup image created earlier from the 2GB SD card.
    10. select the SD card as the partition to restore to, then click next
    11. now open EaseUS Partition manager
    12. click Partition Manager
    13. right click on the SD card's partition and click "resize/move partition"
    14. drag slider to fill entire SD card then click OK
    15. now copy the "Nintendo 3DS" folder to the SD card and DO NOT OVERWRITE anything (skip any when asked)
    16. put SD card in 3DS, and now both games (and their respective saves) *should* work.

3. ekolimits
    OP

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    N.J.
    WOW. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I will try this and report back.

But seriously, why is this so complicated...

4. ekolimits
    OP

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    N.J.
    Hey I tried this method and it did not work.
    I followed every step and once I put in the 32 gb in 3ds the animal crossing was there with the game save but bravely default was not in the menu.
    I redownloaded bravely default and then it had no save game.

Any help is appreciated!

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm pretty sure that the 3DS does not support partitioned SD cards, so fooling around with that won't accomplish much. Game content on the SD card is encrypted as far as I know, so you might have to simply re-download your games to the new SD card. The save files should be copy-paste'able though.

6. Clanver

Clanver Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    Germany
    had the same problem. Seems like one card must be totally blank. Copying from 2 cards into one didnt work for me.

7. ekolimits
    OP

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    N.J.
    So did anyone find out how to save files? from one card to another

8. ekolimits
    OP

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    N.J.
    Apparently I lost my Animal Crossing Save forever now that it is "not the newest one". Fuck it I just listed my 3ds on cl for a ps vita. Im done.

9. jagerstaffel

jagerstaffel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2008
    United States
    Sorry to hear that dude. I could have helped you earlier, but I really thought driverdis's recommendation worked. In any case, for a reference of anyone who might have this problem in the future, this was from someone at Nintendo's tech support forums. Share it so that others can avoid this problem.

My guess is, the pattern is to have the 2nd SD card's games redownloaded. That is, first copy the main SD card to the newer larger SD card. Leave the 2nd SD card alone. Whatever games were on the 2nd SD card, redownload them onto the newer larger card, which will create the necessary folder structure. Then simply copy saves over from the 2nd SD card to the newer larger card.